Triple timeframe MA - thoughts please

NVP

Guest Author
Hi all

heres the GBPUSD on 3 TF's and with a 50 EMA bolted to each

theres no doubt that if the price is below or above the Ma in all 3 thats not a bad signal to trade......:?:

but what about 2 out of 3 signals (which is actually the only other option) ?

is it better to take a signal on the 15min and 1hr confirming signals and ignore the opposing 4h signal ?

or what about the 15m rolling back into line with the 4h signal and you assume the 1hr will catch up later ?

and what about using say 4 TF signals (ie bolt a daily TF on one end or put a 5min on the other end)...where do you draw the line for confirmation of your trend / trade signal ?

or is the TF multiple (X4) not low enough or is it to high ? (ie use X3 or use X8 for example)

or should the 50ma be a lower ma ? or a higher Ma ? (which is similar to TF tweaks above in many ways)

Answers on a postcard please :smart:
NVP

Attachments

• oldest trick in the book.jpg
    oldest trick in the book.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:
It is generally accepted that the higher the time frame, the more reliable the signal.
Many exp traders use 50Ma on 1 hour and daily charts not as a signal but as confirmation together with other signals.

As a swing trader, I would test 1 hour, 4 hour and daily and maybe add overbought/oversold signal.

It is generally accepted that the higher the time frame, the more reliable the signal.Many exp traders use 50Ma on 1 hour and daily charts not as a signal but as confirmation together with other signals.

As a swing trader, I would test 1 hour, 4 hour and daily and maybe add overbought/oversold signal.

Hi jonlebon

is that because it hits the radar of bigger players and market movers ?

N

It is generally accepted that the higher the time frame, the more reliable the signal.Many exp traders use 50Ma on 1 hour and daily charts not as a signal but as confirmation together with other signals.

hmmmm.....and one for everybody here, show me the proof that a higher timerframe yields more reliable signals that a lower one :whistling

bugger....the chart below doesnt help my argument...or does it ?...looks like major wins on trend following all round......

N

Attachments

• testing testing .jpg
    testing testing .jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:
As mentioned previously 3MA + indic could work with higher time frame given priority.
Have you backtested this?
Problem is how to access enough back data for any meaningful sample size.

As mentioned previously 3MA + indic could work with higher time frame given priority.
Have you backtested this?
Problem is how to access enough back data for any meaningful sample size.

Hi jonelbon

no backtests...i'm a cowboy i'm afraid on that front :cool:

Captain currency offers a mean triple system (3 ducks) and theres plenty out there...I think it does work (as good as anything else out there)....i'm just interested on Feedback from MA players regarding if they take less than pure signals to trade (ie not just when all 3 or more charts/signals are aligned)

N

hmmmm.....and one for everybody here, show me the proof that a higher timerframe yields more reliable signals that a lower one :whistling
N

Check frequency of clean successful bounces off 50MA on 5min and daily chart i guess.
There might be ppl out there who doing OK taking signals off 50ma on 5 min although if it was that reliable , day trading would be a piece of cake.

Check frequency of clean successful bounces off 50MA on 5min and daily chart i guess.
There might be ppl out there who doing OK taking signals off 50ma on 5 min although if it was that reliable , day trading would be a piece of cake.

yep.......Ma's are just a blunt instrument that helps to identify trend...sometimes the bounce works and sometimes it doesnt...:eek:

Nothing can really replace good old simple price action analysis and techniques

N

same GBPusd but shifted TF around a little on the same 50 Ema

is it really this simple ? :rolleyes:

and can everyone see the glaring entry point to sell again ?
(or conversely where you now exit your trade from a previuosly longer TF entry point )

N

Attachments

• 1h 15m 5m .jpg
    1h 15m 5m .jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 260
Hi all

yep - confirming some key TF/MA alignments is a nice comfort blanket for trading

In my pre correlation days I used to use one of TRO's brilliant (and complicated) indicators to show this at a summary level......

It allowed a complete sweep of all Timeframes on a particular MA setting for all currency pairs in a Grid ..........a little complicated but not bad once you got used to it and it could show you the Flow of strength around the pairs

Actually I think the 3 ducks thread also generated some automated Charts to show multiple timeframes all together in a simlar way

i'll try and dig them out if anyones interested
N

My early questions on thread still hold though......c'mon where are the Ma gurus please !

heres my eternal question......

ive got to watch a lot of pips go on the buy signal as the 1h says sell......but then are just 2 TF systems enough of an edge ?

N

Attachments

• hmmmm.jpg
    hmmmm.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
slightly different TF arrangement - but all on a 50 EMA....it cant be this easy....can it ?

Attachments

• pippage.jpg
    pippage.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 305
no its not that easy on the 200ma.....

Attachments

• not easy is it.jpg
    not easy is it.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 950
I suppose my question to the learned and not so learned on T2W is this

with Triple+ confirming MA systems (be that 3+ timeframes on similar MA's or multiple MA's on 1 chart)...........

does the slowest MA filter deliver enough high probability quality trades to merit all the retraces that you miss being generated when the 2 lower Timeframes (or MA's) are in agreement ?

to a AAA personality trader like myself who (sadly) wants to be trading frequently for small profits it can be agony watching basically 50% of my trades being filtered out by the slower 3rd MA not confirming the signal......

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/for...meframe-ma-thoughts-please-2.html#post1217666

or have i just answered my question.........? :smart:

N

Hi all

I am going to close this here......i'm re-reading CC's 3 ducks and will take my advice from there as its a triple TF system and any questions I pose seem to have been answered there at some time or another..

cheers to all and may see you on my corrie thread someday (y)

N

I suppose my question to the learned and not so learned on T2W is this

with Triple+ confirming MA systems (be that 3+ timeframes on similar MA's or multiple MA's on 1 chart)...........

does the slowest MA filter deliver enough high probability quality trades to merit all the retraces that you miss being generated when the 2 lower Timeframes (or MA's) are in agreement ?

to a AAA personality trader like myself who (sadly) wants to be trading frequently for small profits it can be agony watching basically 50% of my trades being filtered out by the slower 3rd MA not confirming the signal......

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/for...meframe-ma-thoughts-please-2.html#post1217666

or have i just answered my question.........? :smart:

N

I use multi-time frames with MAs in my trading and using this strategy, I've more than doubled my account in about 10 weeks.
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/trading-journals/95794-casual-traders-journal-12.html

I've reviewed 3 ducks and it seems to work, it's just not for me.

I'm a day trader - you do not mention what your trading time frame is but generally speaking, I always initially expect MAs to prove useful only when they trend. . . something like this for example: http://www.trade2win.com/boards/att...64d1277254116-casual-traders-journal-6.22.png

You are also using the same MA in different time frames and, if I am reading this right, you seem to be expecting them to all agree all or most of the time? While that might happen on occasion, I think you will find using different MAs on different time frames will make more sense.

I think you might just need more screen time to experiment with time frames and MAs to find what works for you and your trading time frame.

I use multi-time frames with MAs in my trading and using this strategy, I've more than doubled my account in about 10 weeks.
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/trading-journals/95794-casual-traders-journal-12.html

I've reviewed 3 ducks and it seems to work, it's just not for me.

I'm a day trader - you do not mention what your trading time frame is but generally speaking, I always initially expect MAs to prove useful only when they trend. . . something like this for example: http://www.trade2win.com/boards/att...64d1277254116-casual-traders-journal-6.22.png

You are also using the same MA in different time frames and, if I am reading this right, you seem to be expecting them to all agree all or most of the time? While that might happen on occasion, I think you will find using different MAs on different time frames will make more sense.

I think you might just need more screen time to experiment with time frames and MAs to find what works for you and your trading time frame.

thanks for this rocky ...i'll have a play (y)