trendie's Blog

July 4th 2007

nothing interesting until late in the day.

GBPUSD: went LONG at 2.0170. risk=30 pips = 1%.
decided to bail out for -20 pips when there was no strength in bounce.
overall: the market seemed to be bouncing off the 72-EMA, giving good entry-points, but it had to run out of steam sometime. pity I picked that time to go Long.
good trade as entry was ok, although it went against me almost immediately, to 2.0150. however the bounce from there was weak, and when it returned to 2.0150, I bailed out.
loss=0.67R and 0.67% loss.

end result: capital gain=0.68% %over 3 days and 7 trades.
(2 wins, 1 loss 4 b/e.)

July 5th 2007

07:53:
I cant explain why I went Long yesterday, as my charts dont see a signal. (boredom trade)

An ideal optimal Short on cable is around 2.0175.

EDIT: 15:23.
the 2.0175 optimal trigger got hit. but it was news-spike driven.
this was quite scary.
the Risk=30pips=1%.
closed out for +60 pips at 2.0115=2R.
overall, would have preferred a gentle upward move before tumbling.
wnet close to the max risk of 30 before falling back, so was not the best of entries. should have used discretion for better entry, but I cant plan these things.

end result: capital gain=2.68% %over 4 days and 8 trades.
(3 wins, 1 loss 4 b/e.)

July 6th 2007

08:37:
NFP day, so more scary stuff.
I have 3-red lines, a confirmed down, with an optimal short entry at the 2.0125 at the moment. but due to NFP, even better entry would be at the 2.0155 mark.

09:35:
so, the 2.0125 got triggered. risk is out of the window today due to expected NFP volatility.

12:40:
impatience getting the better of me. bailed out for +30pips, exit at 2.0095.

I will class this as normal risk=30pips = 1%, since it was before NFP. (=+1R)

also, if there is a spike, I might get another bite at a higher price.
note: hardly any slippage against me, went into profit almost immediately. if only they were all ilke this.
will be running discretionarily, but my feelings are that I would take another short if 2.0025 was offered.

17:00
ok, second short triggered at 2.0125. (I said 2.0025 above, which is clearly a mistake!)
now then, we are going into the weekend, so I need to give more leeway for risk.
for this reason, I will put a disaster stop at 2.0225, which is the recent highs plus a bit.
this, for calculation purposes, puts my risk=100pips=1%.

so, with todays win...

weekly review:
end result: capital gain=3.68% % over 5 days and 9 trades.
(4 wins, 1 loss 4 b/e.)
one trade outstanding (Short 2.0125. risk=100pips=1%)

overall: goodish week for my flagship GBPUSD trades.

July 9th 2007

07:42:
carried over from last week:
(one trade outstanding (Short 2.0125. risk=100pips=1%) )

no major fluctuations overnight, so disaster stop moved to B/E. (2.0125)
reasoning being on the hourlies I have 2-green lines and only 1 red = indeterminate condition on the hourlies.
I have a 3-red (definite short) on the 4-hrs, but the optimal entry is 2.0170/80 area.

profit point set to 2.0095 for +30 (+1R) if it gets there.

08:12:
stopped out for 0. (actually, I may have lost 2 pips or so due to holding position over weekend)
looking to re-enter short at around 2.0170/80.

17:30:
so, the entry at 2.0170 got triggered. unfortunately, it triggered late in the day, rather than an early morning spike.
Stop=2.0210, risk=40 pips=1%. (stop is close to recent highs, so logical pattern failure if hit.)

the drop doesnt appear to be as confidently done, so maybe it was a retrace, and cable will resume its rise. I cant predict, I can only pick low-risk trades!

20:42:
lost my nerve. bailed out at 2.0150 for +20 pips=0.5R. (risk was 40 pips=1%)

end result: capital gain=4.18% % over 6 days and 10 trades.
(5 wins, 1 loss 4 b/e.)

July 10th 2007

07:10.
damn. loss of nerve last night cost me a 1R return, as cable fell overnight to have given me 40 pips if I had stayed in.
never mind.
the hourlies show 3-green, a buy, but I am not convinced.
the 4-hrs shows 2-red and 1-green, so still downward.
if cable drops below 2.0105, I think the drop down is still on.

the patterns are not definitive enough to take a position.

overall; I seem to be showing a pattern of pulling my punches and taking small gains. need to stay in longer to reap the larger rewards.

14:38.
chuffin 'eck. a confirmed buy and I missed it.

July 11th 2007

07:40.
the price has run away from the indicators, so there would need to be a massive pullback before I could enter, having missed yesterdays entry.
possibly another day on the sidelines. the boredom is getting to me.
potential LONG entry at 2.0240.

notes: the analysis being discussed over on the currency threads is undermining my confidence, as there is talk of topping of cable and downmoves (triple tops, etc), etc, when all I want to do is just look at the charts and NOT think.
The market hasnt risen so high that it cant go higher.
The market cant fall so low that it cant fall lower. (unless its at zero)

11:25.
SHORT EURJPY 167.40 (1-hrs), risk=100pips=1%.
have placed a limit order 167.80, risk=60pips=1%. (once it triggers)
(3-reds on the hourlies=confirmed sells, and also confirmed on the 4-hrs)

14:40.
the second signal triggered. this is the "optimal" trade.
I have 2% at risk, both with exits at 168.40.

July 12th 2007

07:50.
disaster.
both trades resulted in max 1R losses each.
the losses affect me more as I am taking less than 1R gains.

next month I will start logging the pips won/lost as well.

end result: capital gain=2.18% % over 9 days and 11 trades.
(5 wins, 3 losses 4 b/e.)

July 16th 2007

09:27; (T2W site access crushingly slow)
carried over from last week:
capital gain=2.18% % over 9 days and 11 trades. (5 wins, 3 losses 4 b/e.)

EUR/JPY: looking for shorts.
GBP/USD: looking for longs.
(good pullback on the GBPUSD on the 7am and 8am bar at 2.0344, but couldnt post them real-time)

09:30. EUR/JPY; looking for shorts in 166.10-15 area. valid until 12-noon.
09:35; forgot to mention, the above are for hourlies.

12:00.
just got stopped out for 0 on the DAX 5-mins.
trying the Puppies, but preferring the second attempt, ie, the continuation signal rather than the reversal. got short at 8098, went about 12 pips in my favour before coming back. will monitor to see if I should have stayed in.

14:32.
yep, should have stayed in the short. could have nabbed 20 pips, showing 8076 as I wrote. (called a puppy LONG on Dax thread. glad I dont take reversals!)

16:25.
the EUR/JPY shorts are no longer valid. nor are the GBP/USD longs. both have ceased their trends on the hourlies.
I need to be in front of my charts earlier in the day for taking the better trades!

19:00.
addendum. chuffin 'eck! EUR/JPY finally gets to optimal short point of 166.10/15 as per earlier post. but it spent too long going sideways at 166.70/85, and the indicators started to turn upwards, and thus I cancelled the short-trade.
overall: good trade entry selection, but pity it didnt trigger.

19:50.
I need a proof-reader! the short should have read 168.10/15, and 167.70/85 was where the sideways movement was.

July 17th 2007

20:25.
system failure at T2W, resulting in no advance numbers for me to post.
GBP/USD saw a decent pullback on the hourlies and would have generated a good signal which moved straight up.
EUR/JPY saw choppy moves on the hourlies, but the 4-hrs provided the clearer picture for a long, but I felt it fell back too sharply for me to take it. it only went straight up as well.

for the purpose of this journal, no trades were taken.

July 18th 2007

07:34.

GBP/USD surging on. optimal entry missed. want to jump on the bandwagon, but have to wait for valid signal.
EUR/JPY: the 4-hrs seem to be in a transition-phase, ie, no longer giving a LONG.
The hourlies are giving a SHORT, optimal entry at 168.30/40 zone. (currently at 15)

15:24.
well, the EUR/JPY triggered the optimal SHORT. I got in at 168.33.
The trade went as much as 12 pips against me, so good entry.
the trade went over 20 pips in my favour, so I moved stop-loss to B/E, which triggered.
so, out for 0.

overall:
no gains. (only extra b/e trade added to tally)
capital gain=2.18% % over 13 days and 12 trades. (5 wins, 3 losses 5 b/e.)

July 19th 2007

07:32.
no signals on GBP/USD or EUR/JPY.
none on hourlies, or 4-hrs. even on 30-mins. maybe a consolidation day?
will revisit at noon, but currently, no potential trades on preferred time-frame.

July 23rd 2007

07:45.
best moves happened overnight on EUR/JPY and GBP/USD.
however, I have:
EUR/JPY: optimal Short entry at 167.55 on hourlies.
GBP/USD: optimal Long entry at 2.0565 on hourlies.

15:04.
went short on GBP/USD at 2.0571 (on the 30-mins).
out for -20. (1%=risk)

overall:
(1 loss added to tally)
capital gain=1.18% % over 16 days and 13 trades. (5 wins, 4 losses 5 b/e.)

15:42.
so, what happened?
I clearly saw a Long at 565, but went short! It is quite clear I am still fixated to the short-side. perhaps I need to trade multiple markets with a good mix of entries.

what i dont understand (I do understand why, but want to make you think of it because it happens to me too, and very often) is why you shorted if you planned for a long?

I shorted because there was an immediate trade on the 30-mins, and the 60-min was "further away" from being triggered. patience failure.

July 26th 2007

10:03.
I am discontinuing my blog.
Firstly, I am getting over the idea that I can develop a fantastical novel concept all by myself. I simply accept the best ideas are already out there.
Its an ego thing. I am mostly over it.
Also, dont see the point of posting trades when they are generated by someone elses system.

I am finding the Cornflower settings, of EMA8, 12, 24 workable. (I have dispensed with the 72). I use them on the 30-mins and 60-mins.
(Cornflower method, as espoused by Lever70 on ForexFactory)

Bagovino (Forex Factory) EMA 5, 12 are fairly ok, but only in a trending market.
But, in a trending market, just about anything works.
I like the use of RSI-21 as a rudder, to provide stability in an otherwise choppy market.
(I like it, becasue if the EMAa are tangling, RSI can sometimes provide another element of direction)
However, the Cornflower EMA 8, 12 are very similar to Bagovino, are are interchangeable.
I think Cornflower is a better, fuller variation of Bagovino.
The extra EMA-24 also acts as a balance when the 8/12 are entangling.
I have added boll-bands, (20,2) more of a comfort zone.
I like the Cornflower because it actually waits for price to pullback to the "zone" created by the 8/12, so even though the 8/12 are entangling, the 24 provides the direction.
I have kept the RSI from Bagovino as confirmation.

observations: I still keep my stochastics slingshots, but I am finding the price entering the 8/12 zone just as good. this has to do with the way the stochastic indicators are constructed. unless there are about 3 or 4 bars forming a congestion, the slingshot gives too late a signal. I prefer to jump in when price retreats to 8/12. I feel, and can confirm from trading, that I get in at better prices more often.
There are occasional instances when price spikes through 8/12 and carries on, but these instances will happen, and I am still better off taking the anticipation.
I am noting Splitlinks idea of having tight stop-losses, and taking a couple of hits on tight-stops may be better than having broader stops. I like it, and make mental notes.

I have removed ADX. I have learnt to do without it.

Also, there was some mention on Bagovino of using RSI-5 as entry signals with the trend. I note RSI-5, but use it much as Gettysburg does, as pullback signals. (but on 30-mins) ie; in a downtrend, I will take a short when RSI-5 hits 70, and vice-versa.

Another thing is: if the EMAs are tangling, I may switch timeframes where the EMAs do have separation, as that time-frame may provide the trend.
I visually look for where price is on one-side of the EMAs, showing trend, rather than in the middle of the EMAs, showing congestion.

I am still looking to trade indicator-less, and think I am improving, thanks to "bubbles" thread on forex-tsd. (no comment on BBmacs doc on T2W. He uses more indicators than I do!!)

My biggest change in trading is taking multiple positions.I no longer worry about getting the "best" price, I just take each signal, and accumulate aggregate positions.

Testing: I dont test anymore. I am finding it rather boring trying to find more systems, and there is a good reason for it. Since I am already committed to being a pullback player, I tend to gravitate to looking for better pullback methods. But it is the concept itself I prefer, so all I am looking for are variations on the theme. DOH!!
It only makes sense if I decided I wanted to trade breakouts that I would truly be changing tack. So, perhaps I should stop looking further, and just get on with it.
(there are a hell of a lot of "I"s in this post!)

Finally, I think I understand my frustration with trading.
I think realists just see the world as it is, and jump in and deal with all the good and bad, and roll with the punches.
I, and many others, may be perfectionsists and idealists, and are offended by the messy nature of the markets, and look for aesthetics, beauty in the untidy action. I think thats why many are attracted to the esoteric, mystical, mathematical perfection, which may actually not exist. Losses are an offence against the musical beauty.
Well, markets are messy, and its OK to be messy.
I dont have to be perfect. As long as I brush my teeth and take a shower once a day, and chew with my mouth closed, I can pass for bearable. Doesnt matter if I get a few things wrong now and then. Same with my trading.
I am not brilliant, but I actually make money. Losses still hurt.
But I follow principles which keep me in at low-risk.

Posting further trades is rather pointless. I may at some point write up something as a PDF.
Have a good day.