Trading the SPX

user said:
Now now lets not get excited with the upside.

No excitment, :LOL: just the completion of the expanding range,
That said SOX now showing relative weakness and at support here, break could take everything lower

Volume comparisons on the NYSE and Nasdaq, can only take it back to 29th Ma on one chart without distorting the view

Attachments

• snapshot-10.png
    snapshot-10.png
    37.5 KB · Views: 203
  • snapshot-11.png
    snapshot-11.png
    39.2 KB · Views: 201
Joules MM1 said:
US events:

I have none listed for Friday 20/05/05

The DAX and FTSE look heavy at this time and US futes are inline with that displaying a likely-hood of a retrace today.

I would agree with that. I have FTSE topped here, DAX likley to do the same. US is IMO approaching the same state. So looking for a few days down on them all starting today or Monday. Possible that DOW sneaks a little higher than yesterdays HOD, regardless it is finishing this move for now.

Joules MM1 said:
Yes, I did omit that this firday is the usual options expirations, however, this is not a news event per se this is a mechanism via exchange.

Thats right, look at last months for an example of the opposite market action to this weeks lead into expiry.

Big pushes (like the last few days) or drops lead to trading ops. As always its down to patience and not rushing in.

Just got in, had some errands to run this afternoon, looks like a little pullback under way. What is the local time with you Joules when the mrkts open?

Midday volume look shows us trading behind yesterdays pace so far in both markets, a low volume pullback unfolding.

Joules MM1 said:
Hi, RT.

Refer to your clock above and the time here now is 2.00 am the US opens 11.30pm AEST

Thanks again for the Vol graphs too.

Hi Joules, you're welcome on the charts. Traded from Thailand for a little while was a 8pm or 9pm start depending on the time of year. found it a bit of a pain trading in the evenings. Not so bad here in UK as the mkt wraps up for 9pm

Hi Joules,hope ya had a good weekend.
Market seems a little confused here, big run up last week and now not really sure whether it should be up here or not :LOL:

Joules MM1 said:
Yes, I am doing the ambiguous tech talk.

I am seeing a pattern that calls for an upside termination at or slightly higher than 1194.0 at which point a retace of the whole 1146 upwards move is likely to get corrected.

Ok am on the same page now. :)

Joules MM1 said:
Yes, I am doing the ambiguous tech talk.

I am seeing a pattern that calls for an upside termination at or slightly higher than 1194.0 at which point a retace of the whole 1146 upwards move is likely to get corrected.

So am I but starting to lose the plot on FTSE, though it did throw me some hope with todays action. Saw 20th as the turn down and today has nobbled it for me in some ways. If we open much higher than todays HOD then I start to worry. US action seems to be lagging my FTSE/DAX setup by a day. Otherwise, patience and trsuting in what has worked before should see it come good, just taking a little longer than I saw it taking.

Very true

Joules MM1 said:
There is a clear sign that I wasnt sure what was happening and this is amplified by the need or feeling of the need to do SOMETHING (anything).

The best thing to do is to get away from the screen and think on the action and review the pattern. A return to the screen and the pattern has moved on.

One thing I have practised and am slowly perfecting for my own account is that being wrong is okay provided I am straight onto the next analysis. I said at the start of the session this was going to be an interesting session and this is true

Whole heartedly agree with that comment.

Total volume on NYSE came in fractionally less that Friday and not worth calculating, Nasdaq volume came in about 7% higher than Friday