Trading Software which can run strategies and calculate profit /loss

cassiopeia

138 3
Hi, I've been away for a while, and might get back into trading again.

I'm looking for software which can analyse simple long term strategies and return a profit or loss for each financial instrument. For example, test a 5% moving stop on an Index, share or commodity over the last 2 years, and return the running, or at least total profit or loss.

Failing that just some OHLC data in CSV form would be useful, but the data needs to cover all UK smallcap and major international stocks & commodities. Something, hopefully more reliable then Yahoo which is the only source I'm aware of. Perhaps some packages can provide this as part of a trial?

cassiopeia

138 3
Hi, I've been away for a while, and might get back into trading again.

I'm looking for software which can analyse simple long term strategies and return a profit or loss for each financial instrument. For example, test a 5% moving stop on an Index, share or commodity over the last 2 years, and return the running, or at least total profit or loss.

Failing that just some OHLC data in CSV form would be useful, but the data needs to cover all UK smallcap and major international stocks & commodities. Something, hopefully more reliable then Yahoo which is the only source I'm aware of. Perhaps some packages can provide this as part of a trial?
I don't think I'll be using Sierra Chart (attached!) :)

Attachments

• apalling.JPG
    apalling.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 38
Reactions: Trader333

TickCOM

130 23
I think what you want to do is close to impossible. There are many posts like this on the net, people having an idea and they want to test it. Problem is such idea typically need to be developed from scratch, as there is no platform having out-of-the-box support for that exact idea. This gets even more difficult when they also want to trade specific stocks etc. And finally, if you succeed to implement and test your idea, you will find that was just the beginning of a long journey of further develop it, adjust, add new ideas etc.

Last edited:

1nvest

350 127
Don't these do something similar?

any of these will likely do what you want, in fact any backtesting software will do what you want. backtesting a strategy with a trailing %stop is not impossible to achieve. a couple of things however..
1) you will need to put some effort into this depending on which software you choose. for example, i use amibroker to backtest any of my ideas. I have to learn/hunt for examples of its scripting language so i can do what i need. you may have to also. however, you said "simple" strategies...so it shouldn't be that difficult
2) you also mentioned where you can get data. you can get data with these software, but they wont give it away for free. Amibroker again will allow you to connect to yahoo, but you didnt want this..so if you want free data, then you could try tradingview, where they have data for you..but you have to learn to backtest your ideas
or buy something where the strategies are likely there for you (Metastock for example, will already have your simple strategies) but you have to pay for data
3) some of these may give you a trial period..again, you could try metatstock for a few weeks at a small cost. portfolio 123 will provide data for a limited period for a small cost

its all coming down to the same things. nothing's free, and these may all take some work. but none of this is impossible, you just need to manage your own expectations

Reactions: cassiopeia

1nvest

350 127

kappert

5 1
TradingView has some ready-made strategies and they have simple back-testing. It is super popular among crypto traders, but covers everything:
[Link removed]

I was looking for something similar like you, but from the viewpoint of someone who wants to code his own strategies. I found MotiveWave the best solution for my purposes. It also comes with some interesting strategies that you can use out-of-the-box. I Highly recommend it:
[Link removed]

cassiopeia

138 3
Thanks for your replies. I leaned that CMC provide a free MetaTrader 4 back testing software, which I've downloaded, although they told me it's more useful for Forex and commodities.

Since I don't do Visual Basic, I'm just using spreadsheet functions with the Yahoo data.

iq200

368 21
Yet another alternative is NinjaTrader 8. The software is free in sim mode and daily data is also free I believe. You can look at the following add ins from:

www.sharkindicators.com
Bloodhound which lets you backtest and build strategies
Blackbird which lets you apply ANY money management rules you can think of

Have a look on their YouTube channel and see the use of these tools first.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock