Trading Performance

Yesman23

9 0
Hi,

I've been day trading the FTSE 100 via IG Index since August 2011. I started off with £200 and am now on £58,126. I started in January 2012 on £14,086, so am up over 400% so far this year. I trade £25 per point and have significantly reduced the risk so am feeling more confident.

2 questions;

1/ Should I give up my day job (which is from home) which I have absolutely no interest in and is draining my will to live every day?
2/ I'm by no means a genius, just very determined and focussed. If I can make 400% so far this year, then why haven't hedge funds worked out a way to make that kind of return since they employ seriously clever Cambridge graduates etc?

Any thoughts/comments/experiences are welcome!

:)

Yesman23

9 0
I don't want to sound arrogant, but why would I want to make figures up to impress complete strangers that I don't even know. Believe me or not, but that's what I've achieved.

Yesman23

9 0
I just want to know what is a typical annual return for a trader, and how this compares. As you know, trading's a lonely business.

eighteen

187 23
hedge funds are moving hundreds of millions about and dont put all there eggs in one basket ala ftse 100.
if you hate your job give it up and trade, although i dont think your risk management is excellent

Yesman23

9 0
hedge funds are moving hundreds of millions about and dont put all there eggs in one basket ala ftse 100.
if you hate your job give it up and trade, although i dont think your risk management is excellent

OK thanks for the feedback.

eighteen

187 23
Really can be anything mate, millions, thousands hundreds, or have a losing year... if youve made 56k ytd and you would be happy with that, dont worry about what others make.

Yesman23

9 0
I'd be more than happy with that, it's tax free after all as it's Spread Betting. I was thinking more of percentage returns than monetary, just to get an idea of what's typical annual return. Cheers.

Benj1981

Established member
694 108
I just want to know what is a typical annual return for a trader, and how this compares. As you know, trading's a lonely business.

1% p.a.

Vaco

2,134 269
There is no typical, thats the point, everyones variables are different.

LOTONtech

10 0
In the six months following March 2009 low-point I made 3000% return by position trading very small stakes in two spread betting accounts. Of the £18,000 profit (I told you it was small stakes) I have since lost something like £1000 positioning myself for the next big push ;-) My aim is always to make a lot (relatively) when I'm winning and lose a little when I'm losing, to supplement my "day job" as a writer and publisher.

Last edited by a moderator:

Benj1981

Established member
694 108
In the six months following March 2009 low-point I made 3000% return by position trading very small stakes in two spread betting accounts. Of the £18,000 profit (I told you it was small stakes) I have since lost something like £1000 positioning myself for the next big push ;-) My aim is always to make a lot (relatively) when I'm winning and lose a little when I'm losing, to supplement my "day job" as a writer and publisher.

So funny, good post mate!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock