Trading pay at energy majors

Intro

Hi all, I've done a few searches and found various conflicting bits of info. around pay for trading at energy companies like shell, exxon etc.

I may have an interview at one such company and interested to know how much one can typically expect to make at different levels and also how easy it is to move to an IB/HF with this experience?

Thanks.

Intro,

The best traders are on six-figures at least. As for the opening level, I'm afraid I can't help. Are you looking at trading/hedging openings with these companies? Good luck with the interviews.

Grant.

Thanks Grant,

It's the typical sort of energy program where you have to do 2 years in back office and/or middle office before starting to actually trade.

I wondered about the pay because a lot of people said it's so much lower than at a bank, i wondered by just how much!

Intro,

The 2-years preparation/training indicates the companies' serious intent. Comparisons of entry levels salaries is not that important in my opinion. The co's won't let you starve and they certainly wouldn't want to deter potential traders.

Two years training is no time. Look at the long-term potential - following the two year preperation, with an additional three years experience as professional trader (on massive salary), you could probably move to any other company (banks, brokerages, hedge funds, etc).

However, energy is not subject to the uncertainties of the financial markets - we will need it forever whereas brokerages come and go.

Grant.

Thanks for the info. Grant. I'm certainly not snubbing the training time as I don't have a particularly finance/economics heavy academic background so for me it's actually a perfect way to start off.

I've a lot of hurdles to jump through before offer but will give it best shot.

Cheers.

I think I remember hearing that the basic pay is not far behind the investment banks (about 30-40k), but the bonuses are lower. Definitely a great opportunity if you can get it though.