Trading on gut-feel: Blink

trendie

Legendary member
Malcolm Gladwell interview of his book, Blink.
(no direct references to trading in this youtube presentation)

Its about how we use snap-judgements.
Refers to how an american general, whilst playing war-games, and representing Iraq, defeated the US war-machine. The war-game had the plug pulled.
And its about framing questions being as important.

A good overview of the idea of utility of how we judge, and knowing when judgements are valid.
Have ordered the book.

Malcolm Gladwell - Blink - full show - YouTube

They say there is nothing as powerful as an idea whose time has come and Malcolm Gladwell's other essays - I have read The Outliers and The tipping point which seem to,in large part been accepted as perceived wisdom now. This is an intersting subject area and good to have his thoughts on it - there are definate parallels with trading and his line that ' instinctive reactions without experience are useless or worse - possibly dangerous' is certainly thought provoking and chimes with what feels right from a trading perspective. Thanks for the post - will be ordering the book too,

G/L

the books awful don't bother, its really trash, the whole book never really says anything, i quit reading halfway through.

They say there is nothing as powerful as an idea whose time has come and Malcolm Gladwell's other essays - I have read The Outliers and The tipping point which seem to,in large part been accepted as perceived wisdom now. This is an intersting subject area and good to have his thoughts on it - there are definate parallels with trading and his line that ' instinctive reactions without experience are useless or worse - possibly dangerous' is certainly thought provoking and chimes with what feels right from a trading perspective. Thanks for the post - will be ordering the book too,

G/L

I think some of these ideas are obvious (such as the Tipping Point) but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be repeated, while others are very interesting.

I was posting on another thread about how having more indicators on the chart can actually harm your learning process, so the doctor example in the video, where they found that less information made the doctors better decision makers on a particular condition was interesting.

The general on the wargame was interesting too, but it's hard to really gauge that. Since we don't know how the wargame works, it may have just been a very smart man or a phenomenon of 'too man cooks'. It's difficult to make sensible conclusions from a lot of these things, but thanks for the video Trendie, nice and thought -provoking

Last edited:
always good to counter against some of the other recent work out there regarding "delaying" making decisions to optimise outcome.... .cant remember whos said what recently but amazon will deluge you if you ask....

I personally am a big fan of Brinksmanship.....in business anyway

N

Sorry for the off topic that this guy looks like the alien meme guy (less the tanning)

attachment.php