Trading Indian Nifty Futures

Halo

Happy Christmas everyone..

Does anyone have any practical knowledge of trading Indian Index Futures (eg Nifty50)??
I've been through the Exchange site and the volumes look good - http://www.nseindia.com/

Are they accessible from outside of India i.e. online or does anyone out there in the global T2W world have any experience of trading from India.

Thanks..........

I'd likely be scalping/short term trading and maybe arb'ing so am mainly interested in direct access to the Exchange - but thanks for the reply Orion.

Be careful Halo. My experience with IG is that you get stopped out prematurely on nift fifty or cannot exit quickly - obviously worse when you`re making aprofit !!

The IG nifty is volatile and good to trade but the above cautions apply - unless you have had other experiences. Getting up at 5am is also a drag...

Direct access from UK to the exchange - my own experince of online equity trading in the infianmarket has been very frustrating. Firstly you have to be a person of Indian origin, which I am. The fun starts then - a hundred forms, signatures, endless bureacracy. The the bank HDFC closed my account without any explanation. Beware of Indian regulations.

But I did meet someone who has traded Indian equities with naviamarkets.com - try them I have no idea what they are like. He seemed quite happy with them. ETFs and Morgan Stanley index trackers are another obvious but slower way.

In short the prizes are potentially great but be very careful of their arcane and frustrating rules.
Let usknow how you did.

Yrs
Combo. :|

Guess not being of Indian origin rules me out! It's a shame because from what I can see it might be a good fun market to punt around in... Thanks a lot for the reply though combotrader - really appreciate it. Cheers,

Halo said:
Guess not being of Indian origin rules me out! It's a shame because from what I can see it might be a good fun market to punt around in... Thanks a lot for the reply though combotrader - really appreciate it. Cheers,

Have you looked at the Simex contract? Should be pretty liquid, and I would have thought easier to open an SGX account.

what is the bid/ask spread typically ?

Here there is a Commission system. So the spread is as low as Rs.0.05 as that's the smallest division of the Rupee. Commissions vary depending on broker to broker starts from typically 0.010% of the transaction. Margins are typically 10% of the Lot Size but again may vary depending on broker. The volumes are pretty good for current month futures and are good for trading. Futures are available for 3 Months including current month. Futures expire on the Last Thursday of the month and are settled in Cash.

But they are virtually impossible to trade online from the UK. I now have inched closer to getting online buying of equities - short selling is not allowed.

But trading in futures/options is not allowed under the portfolio investment scheme (PIS) allowed by the Indian govt.

So I am a bit confused as to what you are trying to say.

Ta
Combo.

GCI is offering Nifty for Trading. http://www.gcitrading.com/ Check it Out!

Be Cautious about the Trade Timings. India is GMT +5:30 hours.
Trade Timings are 9.55 AM to 3.30 PM Monday to Friday.

Watchout for Holidays as well as India has a lot of Trading Holidays.

Best bet is to go with the SGX-DT NIFTY contract. IB offers this product - see symbol NIFTY. It's not that liquid, but unfortunately not too many other choices, unless you're Indian (and therefore can open an account directly with an Indian broker).

Also, you can just contact :

http://tradingguru.in

Will help you trade nifty and Indian equities.
(also giving one of the cheapest brokerages but the strength is Research/Calls/ and Strategy )
small subscription and peace of mind.
just contact.

(go where the money is and go easily)

But they are virtually impossible to trade online from the UK. I now have inched closer to getting online buying of equities - short selling is not allowed.

But trading in futures/options is not allowed under the portfolio investment scheme (PIS) allowed by the Indian govt.

So I am a bit confused as to what you are trying to say.

Ta
Combo.

Tradefair.com a spread betting site is allowing you to trade in all NSE 50 stocks from UK

Happy Christmas everyone..

Does anyone have any practical knowledge of trading Indian Index Futures (eg Nifty50)??
I've been through the Exchange site and the volumes look good - http://www.nseindia.com/

Are they accessible from outside of India i.e. online or does anyone out there in the global T2W world have any experience of trading from India.

Thanks..........

yes there trading in nifty futures (nifty 50 ) is always better than trading in scrips, infact there are many traders who trade in nifty futures only and are quiet sucessful i usually tke help of a good trader on yahoo [email protected] for help