Trading in Toronto

Hi. I guess I should preface my post by acknowledging the other thread on this topic. Since it hasn't got a response in 6 months, I am going to try it again.

I have recently moved to Toronto, and am looking for some trading experience. I have traded on my own account for 2 years (I am in the red but have learned a lot of hard lessons) and have an education in Finance. I am looking for somewhere to trade. I know that Title Trading and Infinium Capital have offices in Toronto. Are there any others?

If not, does anybody know anything about these two firms (ie training programs, whether you need your own capital etc)?

Infinium and Title Trading

Hey, I've found some links on LinkedIn and an article on R.O.B. Magazine / The Globe and Mail, that would suggest that Infinium Capital (Toronto, not the Chicago firm) is a good place to work. However, it says on their website that they only want experienced traders. It doesn't sound like they want a risk deposit. Same with Title Trading, but they haven't called me. Anyway, it IS pretty difficult getting info on these companies. Some people out there have said, "just apply and go to the damn interview if they reply"... which is a "good" strategy, except that it risks making a bad first impression and that really IS a big deal in Toronto, knowing that prop firms don't grow on trees like in Downtown Manhattan =0( Guys like you and I get talked down to for trying to be "too prepared".

Hi. I guess I should preface my post by acknowledging the other thread on this topic. Since it hasn't got a response in 6 months, I am going to try it again.

I have recently moved to Toronto, and am looking for some trading experience. I have traded on my own account for 2 years (I am in the red but have learned a lot of hard lessons) and have an education in Finance. I am looking for somewhere to trade. I know that Title Trading and Infinium Capital have offices in Toronto. Are there any others?

If not, does anybody know anything about these two firms (ie training programs, whether you need your own capital etc)?

Hey elitejets,

Thank you for the info. I've actually read fairly negative things about SwiftTrade which I'm not going to get into. CTFinancials is probably a good prop shop, but they don't allow remote trading (from home) and are located in Montreal. I have read a different thread where someone mentioned that the traders at Infinion primary do arbitrage on stocks listed on multiple exchanges (e.g. TD Bank, and Petro-Canada), and I don't have a background in math. I'm just an intraday-swing trader (4 - 5 trades a day just trading the swing high/low). Intraday scalping hasn't worked very well for me. And if I had a large enough account I'd be holding overnight hedged positions. The only online firms that will allow me to do this are Keystone Trading (online prop firm that requires a $5,000 course fee, though they have an office on Wall Street and a new one in Chicago I hear), and Epiphany Trading (not as appealing as Keystone though).

However, I would REALLY like to work with RBC Professional Trader Group (which formed after the Royal Bank of Canada bought out Carlin Group for their RBC Capital Markets division). I really like SMB Capital as well, but apparently they only hire fresh university grads. I doubt either of them will send me a work visa because these type of positions are 100% commission based and workers in the U.S. are losing jobs left and right, so why would the gov't allow Canadian immigrants into the workforce? It honestly kinda sucks being a trader living in Canada if you're not already with a big Bay Street bank =(

Infineon are primarily quant & arbitrage. Do you have a maths / programming background?
In addition to Title Trading there is Swift Trade, DV Trading & Quest Trade.
CFT Financials (London) have an arcade in Montreal.
Swift Trade are the largest.

Infinium Capital Corporation: Careers
Welcome to SwiftTrade, Global Securities Trading
DV Research
Questrade Canadian Discount Broker | Online Stock Trading | Education
http://www.cftfinancials.com

Yeah, that's weird. I could swear I've been to their website before. Weird. Google them up and click "cache". Though that probably won't help if they've closed their doors permanently.

Last edited: