Trading in Australia

kpellas

Hi everyone...

I recently moved from the US to Australia. I was trading the ES and YM there and had planned to continue doing the same here. Turns out--I don't like being up at night!

Does anyone have suggestions on what other futures instruments I can trade? I thought I remembered seeing another thread or 2 on the subject. But, I can't seem to find them now.

Thanks for your help!
Kelly

Hi everyone...

I recently moved from the US to Australia. I was trading the ES and YM there and had planned to continue doing the same here. Turns out--I don't like being up at night!

Does anyone have suggestions on what other futures instruments I can trade? I thought I remembered seeing another thread or 2 on the subject. But, I can't seem to find them now.

Thanks for your help!
Kelly

I trade Eurex from NZ so not actively involved in Asian futures, but here's a few thoughts...

Not sure what your trading style is, but the ASX 200 SPI contract might be worth a look 25 AUD per tick, although think it only trades around 30k contracts in a day.

You could also look at the Korean Kospi contract - K200, trades around 300k odd contracts per day, and is offered through Interactive Brokers - that said, it's quite a big contract and comms look quite expensive on it. There's also a contract on the Hong Kong H shares index - don't know too much about it, although I've heard that comm are quite high too.

The CME's 6e contract can move around quite a bit during the Asian session and is worth a look, although as you'd expect, it can be a bit thin during this time, and of course the big moves don't occur until London opens, but it is do-able from my experience - i found you can often get some good moves around the aussie open, then again when london comes online (around 4-8pm ish aussie time i think ), so you could be at your desk for a couple hours in the morning, go surfing in the afternoon, then be back at your desk later in the afternoon/ early evening (y)

NZ is 2 hours ahead of Oz, but I've found trading Eurex from here is not too bad, given there's usually some decent action in the Bund during the first few hours, so in winter I start at 6pm and work through til 11pm (4pm - 9pm aussie time) and 8pm through til 1am in summer (6pm - 11pm aussie time)

hopefully this helps as a start...

"trembling hand" at aussiestockforums .com trades spi and hsi ......a no bs character that you'll find is open to sharing smart ideas, he's a genuine income producer who knows the characteristics of those markets.....drop him a private mail at that site

I trade Eurex from NZ so not actively involved in Asian futures, but here's a few thoughts...

Not sure what your trading style is, but the ASX 200 SPI contract might be worth a look 25 AUD per tick, although think it only trades around 30k contracts in a day.

You could also look at the Korean Kospi contract - K200, trades around 300k odd contracts per day, and is offered through Interactive Brokers - that said, it's quite a big contract and comms look quite expensive on it. There's also a contract on the Hong Kong H shares index - don't know too much about it, although I've heard that comm are quite high too.

The CME's 6e contract can move around quite a bit during the Asian session and is worth a look, although as you'd expect, it can be a bit thin during this time, and of course the big moves don't occur until London opens, but it is do-able from my experience - i found you can often get some good moves around the aussie open, then again when london comes online (around 4-8pm ish aussie time i think ), so you could be at your desk for a couple hours in the morning, go surfing in the afternoon, then be back at your desk later in the afternoon/ early evening (y)

NZ is 2 hours ahead of Oz, but I've found trading Eurex from here is not too bad, given there's usually some decent action in the Bund during the first few hours, so in winter I start at 6pm and work through til 11pm (4pm - 9pm aussie time) and 8pm through til 1am in summer (6pm - 11pm aussie time)

hopefully this helps as a start...

Thanks, Spy74. I've been looking at the 6E recently. Glad to hear that it's doable down here! Some friends back in the States trade the Aussie dollar.. I think it's 6A. Have you looked into it at all? Thanks again for your response!

Kel

"trembling hand" at aussiestockforums .com trades spi and hsi ......a no bs character that you'll find is open to sharing smart ideas, he's a genuine income producer who knows the characteristics of those markets.....drop him a private mail at that site

I'll definitely check it out! Thank you!!

No probs at all, haven't looked at 6A, from what i can remember 6E was the most liquid even during the asian timezone, with the Yen contract being the next (also worth a look, although i found 6E far "easier" to trade!) like i said..if you're happy to trade through the early part of the evening here and catch the london open, 6E is very workable

SPI is like watching paint dry, HSI is alright, can be pretty fast if you're not used to it. I think the late afternoon-evening stuff is a much better trade, Europe and UK etc.

Hello Kelly,

I trade the ES from New Zealand. My trading systems are fully automated and run on a server in Chicago but I still have to monitor the servers as they do go down from time to time and I have clients so I need to personally ensure the orders go through.

It means I start 'work' around 2am and finish up around 10am (Daylight savings about to end in US this weekend so hours will change slightly).

It is sometimes hard as I have a young family but it is how I make a living and we have a good routine.

Next year we will be making the move to Brisbane so will have to change it up a bit. I would prefer to move closer to the US as I do get a bit fed up with the hours but Australia is the easiest place to move to from here!

Good luck with your trading.
George