Trading House Advice Sought

Adnan28

Guys,

Just wanted to ask, which do you think is a better job entry-level job at a small trading house if you want to move towards trading:

1. Settlesments,
OR
2. Financial Analyst for trading, who prepares regular PnL reports for trading desks, reconciles between the financial and risk PnL and does performance and mark-to-market analysis?

Thanks

I wouldve thought the financial analyst job. Its more technical and analytical. But not sure

Back Office: 1. Least chance of progressing to Front Office.
Middle Office: 2.
Front Office: 3. Where you want to be!

NB. The nature of the job is not to be confused with where you might sit. E.g. Your 2. may sit with the FO.

JG.

Thanks JJ.

Your saying that the financial analyst role is better.

I thought settlements may have more of a natural career path towards trading. I heard smaller houses bring on their settlement staff into FO roles if they are good enough.

Thanks

Thanks JJ.

Your saying that the financial analyst role is better.

I thought settlements may have more of a natural career path towards trading. I heard smaller houses bring on their settlement staff into FO roles if they are good enough.

Thanks

Adnan28 - In my opinion their are no clear cross office (by which I mean BO -> FO or MO -> BO) progressions. Each requires different skills and goals. Whilst the offices are classified into a functional group do not be under the impression that one is a stepping stone to another.

However, if you have the requisite skills and determination you should be able to progress from any role into another.

That hasn't really been a consistent route to the front office since the mid 90s I'd say. To be honest what's a bigger factor thn the job imho is the fir's culture. SOme promote to front office from within, some tend not to.

Reactions: D70