trading futures with an automated system?

fenzo

I've been using a basic online order system to trade COMEX futures (Oak entry) . I am interested in trying to move onto something a bit more sophisticated with integrated charting...

Any suggestions for a trading platform I could use?

One thought - to give me a wider spectrum of platforms / software is start trading CBOT's minis instead of COMEX.

In a ideal world I would also love to be able to set trailing stops. My current data is via esignal

Any thoughts?

Fenzo,
Note that most eSignal partners, excl Lind Waldock and Refco (one group), tend to focus services on financial products, eg index and fixed income futures and sometimes some of the mini-contracts. Interactive Broker is a good example, great platform but no access to commodities other than illiquid energy and metal mini's. Unless you are an investor with medium term trading horizon, I would recommend to stay clear from those metals and energy mini's. Talking out own experience, I learnt my lesson the hard way when I was stopped out on a QM short just before Iraq invasion at $1 1/2 above the contract highs of the proper CL contract.

I get sometimes confused about term auto-trading? i know that Esignal provides integrated access to broker platforms but can one program so that trades get executed automatically if conform system instructions? Esignal data can, I understand, also be used in conjunction with systems like Tradestation.

Thank you both.

I am thinking of moving to MetaStock PRO or TradeStation - I've tried Esignals system for the charting and signals although it interesting its tricky to get to grips with. Perhaps my opinions coloured by Esignals support people who blew a great deal of hot air with attitude when I ran into trouble setting up their software.

I want to buy rather than 'rent' software - One of my criteria is access to loads of third party software. I understand that both programmes require some computer skills so I'm prepared for a steep learning curve and the need to invest time - This is why I want to be sure I choose the right system to begin with.

I guess the best solution is to take a months trial on the two platforms and have a good 'mess around'.

I too am concerned about the metal markets - I'm long bullion and trading paper for entertainment - I fully expect skulduggery ahead. FDR and Hitler managed to confiscate their citizen's gold when their monetary systems were in trouble and Nixon reneged on Gold when the USD started showing its real worth (déjà vu?) - I reckon Bush & friends will do to any market whatever suits their policies and financial backers - whenever it suits them. ;)

fenzo,
if you're just interested in a "system" that will create stops for you automatically, there are several 3rd party utilities that work with Interactive Brokers interface. My favorite is BracketTrader. http://www.bracket-trader.com/
BracketTrader requires very little to no programming/scripting knowledge and has some very powerful features.

I've used automated systems which require 3 ingredients: eSignal, interactive broker (or another supported broker) and dynaorder. Read up on dynaorder @ http://www.dynaorder.com/

In short, you write an efs formula that runs in eSignal. Your buy, sell, stop criteria gets sent to dynaorder which sends those orders on to interactive brokers. It requires solid knowledge of javascript.

good luck, Peter

I've been using a basic online order system to trade COMEX futures (Oak entry) . I am interested in trying to move onto something a bit more sophisticated with integrated charting...

Any suggestions for a trading platform I could use?

One thought - to give me a wider spectrum of platforms / software is start trading CBOT's minis instead of COMEX.

In a ideal world I would also love to be able to set trailing stops. My current data is via esignal

Any thoughts?

Only one if you are for real www.tradingtechnologies.com:cheesy: