Trading Futures & living in Australia?

_JWG_

G'day fellow T2W members!

I've discovered futures trading. I'm currently back testing the mini sized dow. However it occurred to me that in order to be trading when the US market is open and most active I need to be trading very early in the morning (Queensland time). :sleep:

Is this what most futures traders do when living in Australia?:-0

Is there another market that is more suited to the Australian time slot?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers

JWG

I'd have thought european markets like the Eurostoxx, FTSE, Dax or Bund would be much better suited, as they open around 5-6pm AEDT and you could trade the evening after work hours

Day time ... spi, stw, sgxnk, hsi (aus, taiwan, japan, hk)
Evening ... as suggested by Arb + the currency pairs.

I'd have thought european markets like the Eurostoxx, FTSE, Dax or Bund would be much better suited, as they open around 5-6pm AEDT and you could trade the evening after work hours

Excellent. Thanks for the info Arbitraguer. Do you trade any of these? What would be your preference? or are they all on par with one another.

Thanks again for the reply.

Cheers
JWG

Day time ... spi, stw, sgxnk, hsi (aus, taiwan, japan, hk)
Evening ... as suggested by Arb + the currency pairs.

Thanks for that nine.

Yes I believe the evening would suit me more. Do you trade any of what arb outlined?

Cheers

JWG

Bund is a ten year benchmark euro-bond, Stoxx is an equity index similar-ish to the S&P. Dax is another equity index, a bit like an angry Dow on steroids.

They are all quite different markets with their own characteristics, you'd really need to watch them and find something that suits your approach.

Reactions: BSD
Thanks for the tip Arbitrageur... I'm looking up market times now... I want to trade when these markets are most active.

Cheers
JWG

I don't trade them but used to.

If you're chasing the evening markets Bund opens one hour before ESTX50 does and is meaningful from open. Nice trends (or used to be a few years back). Try 1, 2 , 3 and 5 minute charts to see which one starts to talk to you and which have too much noise.

Also look at eurofx (eur.usd futures) as this has some lovely trends once the european session starts (around 8am frankfurt as I recall it).

I used to trade europe but hate missing the news. Because I do nothing else it was easier to trade AsiaPac once the asian futures started to become available with Interactive Brokers. PM me if you'd like to catch up for a coffee some time. Preference would be afternoons at Robina Town Centre (I trade till about 3:30 and live near to RTC).

I don't trade them but used to.

If you're chasing the evening markets Bund opens one hour before ESTX50 does and is meaningful from open. Nice trends (or used to be a few years back). Try 1, 2 , 3 and 5 minute charts to see which one starts to talk to you and which have too much noise.

Also look at eurofx (eur.usd futures) as this has some lovely trends once the european session starts (around 8am frankfurt as I recall it).

I used to trade europe but hate missing the news. Because I do nothing else it was easier to trade AsiaPac once the asian futures started to become available with Interactive Brokers. PM me if you'd like to catch up for a coffee some time. Preference would be afternoons at Robina Town Centre (I trade till about 3:30 and live near to RTC).

Cheers Nine! will do! (y) Hope your trading well :D

JWG

If you get an IRC client (mIRC or HydraIRC say) you can connect to the IRC network and you'll find some quite active groups trading futures day and night.

I only know of the ones on othernet. #tradit with a group of aussie future and stock traders during the day #enthios, #pitstock, #tradingspace and many others.

If you get an IRC client (mIRC or HydraIRC say) you can connect to the IRC network and you'll find some quite active groups trading futures day and night.

I only know of the ones on othernet. #tradit with a group of aussie future and stock traders during the day #enthios, #pitstock, #tradingspace and many others.

Thanks Nine,

Question. What IRC client do you use? What is othernet?

Cheers
JWG

I use mIRC although I like Hydra and its free. When you install it you get a large number of IRC networks to choose from. Each network has different servers on it. And points to log in. Damned complex if you try to really understand it because its effectively an internet on the internet.

So you would basically select othernet:random server as your network and once logged in you get a channel list. Select one of the channels and add to your favourites if you want. You can also right click it and choose to have it open whenever you log onto the network.

See picture for a very small selection of the networks:

Attachments

• othernet.gif
    othernet.gif
    20.5 KB · Views: 489
I'm in Sydney, trading the S&P 500 emini.

Very difficult at the moment due to the time difference but I try. I actually like the fact that I have my days free though(well around my day job currently which gives me lots of free time due to my roster but eventually totally free is the plan) so trading for an hour in the middle of the night isn't all bad.

Cheers,
PKFFW

I'm in Sydney, trading the S&P 500 emini.

Very difficult at the moment due to the time difference but I try. I actually like the fact that I have my days free though(well around my day job currently which gives me lots of free time due to my roster but eventually totally free is the plan) so trading for an hour in the middle of the night isn't all bad.

Cheers,
PKFFW

PKFFW,

Have you considered trading the Euro market from 5 pm onwards? i.e eurostoxx 50, Bund, Bobl and Schatz ?

Cheers
JWG

I have but due to life style choices my evenings are very full. Hence the choice to trade at night.

Cheers,
PKFFW