Trading for an IB

another thing is i think there is a problem trying to define university into top 10 or whatever...one uni league table put edinburgh as the only scottish uni in the world top 50...so all seems pretty pointless, although looking at that league table i made a mistake...turned down a place a top 5 uni OMG! lol.

I dunno some of those unis in top 15, u dont hear a lot of people going to ibs from them or of them being particularly hard to get into...is weird, dunno what anyone else thinks but...maybe ur unis connections with ibs make a difference.

The uni's all BB IBs actively target:

Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL, Warwick. (UCL and Warwick slightly less so than the other four)

Durham is a semi-target, targeted by JPM and Morgan Stanley. Then the other top places, St Andrew's, Bristol, etc. will get a few people in front office every year. The global league tables are fairly awful in terms of ranking, but if you alter the filter to career prospects you'll get a better indicator of where employers like.

And to Magos: top 5 in The Independent's guide ;)
I turned down two of the target uni's for Durham out of personal preference, and I don't regret it.

The uni's all BB IBs actively target:

Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL, Warwick. (UCL and Warwick slightly less so than the other four)

Durham is a semi-target, targeted by JPM and Morgan Stanley. Then the other top places, St Andrew's, Bristol, etc. will get a few people in front office every year. The global league tables are fairly awful in terms of ranking, but if you alter the filter to career prospects you'll get a better indicator of where employers like.

And to Magos: top 5 in The Independent's guide ;)
I turned down two of the target uni's for Durham out of personal preference, and I don't regret it.

I am so happy that alot of people are commenting on this post :)

in the end of the day if a uni educates u, they should prepare you also for the market place. but people tend not to use all the resources of the uni i.e. career services, Psychometric tests, CV's,interview prep,etc. because they are lazy... and then guess what ! the blame the banks.... it not our fault that we are not clever enought to get 3A's put the efffort go to a top uni. its the banks fault who they dont accept bad students and people with not relevant experience.

in the end we all want to be star traders but how many want to put the hours and the effort!

I think another point to add is the university trading and investment soc...at my uni they have a good relationship with industry, so this can be useful, and i think unis that have a good trading soc provides excellent opportunities for networking. At my uni, career services are fairly indifferent and the trading society is where you meet people in the industry and get advice etc etc.

But magos is right at the end of it, it comes down to grades cos you don't need to be "clever", you just need the discipline and the effort, and if you don't do that ibs won't be a good place to work cos they work u slaves,lol.

I think another point to add is the university trading and investment soc...at my uni they have a good relationship with industry, so this can be useful, and i think unis that have a good trading soc provides excellent opportunities for networking. At my uni, career services are fairly indifferent and the trading society is where you meet people in the industry and get advice etc etc.

But magos is right at the end of it, it comes down to grades cos you don't need to be "clever", you just need the discipline and the effort, and if you don't do that ibs won't be a good place to work cos they work u slaves,lol.

investment society, not bad, i remember the president of my one got an internship in UBS and then finaly landed the job. so true it works :)