Tradertom. Where's he gone?

Just as update, his Which Way Today site is back up and running.
I haven't been able to be in the real-time rooms of late, but am interested if anyone is attending, and how they are faring. (both Tom and the attendee)

How are they doing?

Nice sounding fella but hopeless trader. I remember in one of his vids he got it very wrong and tried to claim he had had the chart the wrong way up !!
Very earnest too. Another one down the tubes I guess.

Just as update, his Which Way Today site is back up and running.
I haven't been able to be in the real-time rooms of late, but am interested if anyone is attending, and how they are faring. (both Tom and the attendee)

How are they doing?

I decided to attend the real-time room as I have a lot of free time on my hands while waiting for trades.
In his email he claims the model portofolio was up 50% in the last month.
more like down 50%.
It was always a trade he took earlier while the room was closed on his personal account, that was doing great, and if you attend his course at 1k a throw, you will know how to take these trades.
By the questions asked from the attendees you can tell that, they are all a bunch of wannabe traders taken in by his hype.
As he controls the room he can edit edit questions he does not like.

All in all.
like some said earlier, totally useless trader who could not trade his way out of a paper bag.
but will continue selling the dream to guillabe wannabe traders.

I used to be a member of Tactical Trader – when Steve Anderton and his son were running the site. It was a good website with valuable information. The community was tight and we supported each other.

For a while I was also a member of Avid Trader – where some of the most skilful traders made their knowledge freely available. It was eventually shut down, but I learned from some amazing people such as Chris Lock of OysterCatcher fame (CNBC commentator), as well as Tepid and Olman and Colby – all outstanding guys who knew their stuff.

I joined Trade2Win many years ago, and I posted my analysis and knowledge on a regular basis. However, bulletin boards tend to be somewhat addictive, and I found I spent too much time reading through inane posts about nothing. So I stopped.

For whatever reason I happened to stop by today to see if there was anything new under the sun. I wanted information on a live trading room I had heard about, and Google directed me here. I found what I was looking for, and I also found some links which were just about me.

We might be in a different decade from when I joined, but the tone is the same and the content is pretty much the same too. Bulletin boards are generally speaking a myopic beehive for chit-chat with little substance. There are exceptions, and some threads are outstanding, but they are sadly few and far between.

I read a posted comment about myself from a guy called “justtrader”. Reading about yourself is an odd experience. On one hand you want to defend yourself if the criticism is unjust or unfair. On the other hand you have to respect that people are entitled to have an opinion, even if you don’t agree with it.

When I read the comments above I thought it was pretty wide off the mark. I run a live trading room with Larry Pesavento and Dr David Paul. If we were to run the room like “justtrader” suggest we run it, then I might as well just sell my integrity and reputation to the highest bidder.

Larry Pesavento has traded for 48 years. He uses geometry to trade. It might sound esoteric but the reality is that it is based around pattern recognition and fib ratios. Larry trades from 3pm until 4pm every day in the room. His trades, ranging from FX to commodities and indices, are posted in real-time. David Paul has traded since the mid 1980’s, and we call him the encyclopaedia of trading knowledge.

I trade from 8am until 11am. My trading style is a little different from Larry and David’s because I have trained myself to only use price as my entry tool. I trade the DAX and I trade the FTSE. All my trades are posted in real-time as well.

I have good days and I have bad days. Today I traded once and I made 44 DAX points on a DAX FILL GAP trade. Yesterday was also a good day. I made 66 DAX points on two trades. The previous day was also great. I made 55 DAX points on two trades. Then there are the days like the 14th of July, where I might as well just sign and hand over a blank cheque to Mr Market. I ended up losing 23 DAX points.
There is a saying in England that states that “those who can do, and those who can’t, they teach”. I look around the seminar market environment and there is literally an abundance of people who offer to teach you how to trade. Some charge quite a lot of money for their material, and some are more reasonable.

Does Greg Secker trade? Does Darren Winter trade? Does Nick McDonald trade? I mention these three because they were the biggest companies out there I know of. I also happen to know all three of the front people, albeit not in great detail. The answer is they all trade. I am not saying if they are good or not. I am saying they trade. Of course they do.

The obvious question of course is rhetorical: can you be a good teacher (of trading) without being able to trade yourself? Many would disagree. Many would say that you can’t be a trading teacher, if you can’t trade. As a matter of fact (fact is in the eye of the beholder, of course, but this holds true for me) most people would say you have to be able to trade well to teach.

I like to point out that you don’t have to be a good trader to be able to teach. For example Hurst, who wrote the amazing cyclical trading course in the 1960’s called “The Magic of Stock Transaction Timing”, stated that he hated trading, and he kept his money in T-Bonds.

Steve Nison who has done more than any other individual in the field of technical analysis /Candlecharts also state that he is not a trader. Hell, do I need to point out to all of you that Edwards and Magee, the guys who wrote the BIBLE of technical analysis, they were journalists. They were not traders.

Nevertheless, when you run a seminar business, I feel that you owe it to the people who invest their time and money in you, to show on a continuous basis, that you trade. My desire to run a trading room stemmed from a desire to show that there are people who can both trade and teach.

I ran a room for a couple of years between 2009 and 2011. Then I closed the room because I wanted to spend time on research. In particular I wanted to study Renko and Point and Figure. I traded alongside my studies, but the trading room was closed.

I came back to start trading in the live trading room in April this year. I ran the room for free for the first 2 months. I often had 400 people in the room following me. Once I started charging for it, the number naturally fell.

I find that one of the biggest obstacles to running a live trading room is calling out trades, which are tradable for the subscribers. Since I am not authorised to give trading and investment advice, I have to call it as it is. I am calling MY TRADES. What subscribers do with this information is ultimately their own responsibility.

However, if I constantly make calls in the DAX or the FTSE, which the subscribers are unable to act upon, because the price has moved away from this level, then I would have to close shop pretty quickly. The way to overcome that is to announce ahead of time that if the market trades at a certain level, then I will execute a trade.

This is integrity. This is what I stand for. I teach, and I run a live trading room to signal to others that what I teach stands up in the market place. There will be losing trades. There will be ****-ups. There will be days where I trade like an idiot, but it is real, and it is honest.

So in closing, why did I choose to respond to “justtrader”?

The answer is that his comments are untrue. They are simply untrue. I do not edit comments from members. I don’t call “after the fact trades”. The subscribers are a mixed of seasoned traders and newbies who want to learn to trade.

Can I trade? The room statistics say that I can. My trading style is not for everyone. Trading is said to be a reflection of your character and temperament. It works for me and it works for some.

As I wind down this comment, and prepare myself for another decade of obscurity, I remind myself that I will likely get people comment on my post – comments that may support or argue against my views – and since I invited it, I will read it with interest.

However, I think what bothered me most about bulletin boards and why I am a very infrequent guest now, is that people say things to you in posts that they would NEVER say if you stood face to face with you. The filter of mutual respect has been removed, and that invites a tone which is often condemning and outright disrespectful.

I had an opportunity to state my case. Now I can leave this site alone for another decade.

Thank you for reading

Tom Hougaard - SUNSEEKER

Hello everyone - this is my first post here so I'll try and follow the rules.

Let me start by saying that I am a paid member of Whichwaytoday and was also a member way back before Tom's year out to study. I don't have any link other than that with Tom, David or Larry and as such hope that people will accept my comments as being the truth to simply set the record straight from some of the comments above.

The fact that I returned to the "room" with Tom after his break should say a lot for his integrity and performance. I may not always agree with his assessment of a market (but if you put 10 traders in the same room you'll probably get 10 different answers on what it's going to do anyway) - however I will say this...HE IS ALWAYS SCRUPULOUSLY HONEST ABOUT HIS DEALINGS AND IF ANYTHING WILL MARK DOWN THE AMOUNT OF MONEY HE'S MADE IF THERE IS ANY DOUBT ABOUT CLOSING VALUES/TIMES. If anyone has any evidence to the contrary, let them post it here, if not then you should apologise...from my side I record the whole session every day as I also run a business and can't always be at the screens 100% of the time in real time, so I can prove what I'm saying.

The cost of the room is far outweighed by the profit that is made off the back of his trades alone, and since Larry Pessavento has joined, my understanding of market fundamentals has increased exponentially...it's a shame that during his 2 months free membership earlier on this year that a (hopefully) small number of people ruined for him (and us a lot of the time as it put Tom in a very poor frame of mind to trade) and as such the option of trying it out for free has now apparently been taken away (I think I heard you right on that Tom?) - but I will say this - if anyone wants to learn how to trade DAX and FTSE (on a relatively fast pace sometime) then you could do a lot worse than signing up for 1 month and trying it out for yourselves rather than listen to someone lying for whatever reason - the worst that can happen is you will have lost a month's fee, but I can guarantee you will at the very least get a very good education for that month.

If anyone would like to PM me I will happily answer any questions you have about him or the room.

Peter Stephens (Spacepig62)

I used to be a member of Tactical Trader – when Steve Anderton and his son were running the site. It was a good website with valuable information. The community was tight and we supported each other.

For a while I was also a member of Avid Trader – where some of the most skilful traders made their knowledge freely available. It was eventually shut down, but I learned from some amazing people such as Chris Lock of OysterCatcher fame (CNBC commentator), as well as Tepid and Olman and Colby – all outstanding guys who knew their stuff.

I joined Trade2Win many years ago, and I posted my analysis and knowledge on a regular basis. However, bulletin boards tend to be somewhat addictive, and I found I spent too much time reading through inane posts about nothing. So I stopped.

For whatever reason I happened to stop by today to see if there was anything new under the sun. I wanted information on a live trading room I had heard about, and Google directed me here. I found what I was looking for, and I also found some links which were just about me.

We might be in a different decade from when I joined, but the tone is the same and the content is pretty much the same too. Bulletin boards are generally speaking a myopic beehive for chit-chat with little substance. There are exceptions, and some threads are outstanding, but they are sadly few and far between.

I read a posted comment about myself from a guy called “justtrader”. Reading about yourself is an odd experience. On one hand you want to defend yourself if the criticism is unjust or unfair. On the other hand you have to respect that people are entitled to have an opinion, even if you don’t agree with it.

When I read the comments above I thought it was pretty wide off the mark. I run a live trading room with Larry Pesavento and Dr David Paul. If we were to run the room like “justtrader” suggest we run it, then I might as well just sell my integrity and reputation to the highest bidder.

Larry Pesavento has traded for 48 years. He uses geometry to trade. It might sound esoteric but the reality is that it is based around pattern recognition and fib ratios. Larry trades from 3pm until 4pm every day in the room. His trades, ranging from FX to commodities and indices, are posted in real-time. David Paul has traded since the mid 1980’s, and we call him the encyclopaedia of trading knowledge.

I trade from 8am until 11am. My trading style is a little different from Larry and David’s because I have trained myself to only use price as my entry tool. I trade the DAX and I trade the FTSE. All my trades are posted in real-time as well.

I have good days and I have bad days. Today I traded once and I made 44 DAX points on a DAX FILL GAP trade. Yesterday was also a good day. I made 66 DAX points on two trades. The previous day was also great. I made 55 DAX points on two trades. Then there are the days like the 14th of July, where I might as well just sign and hand over a blank cheque to Mr Market. I ended up losing 23 DAX points.
There is a saying in England that states that “those who can do, and those who can’t, they teach”. I look around the seminar market environment and there is literally an abundance of people who offer to teach you how to trade. Some charge quite a lot of money for their material, and some are more reasonable.

Does Greg Secker trade? Does Darren Winter trade? Does Nick McDonald trade? I mention these three because they were the biggest companies out there I know of. I also happen to know all three of the front people, albeit not in great detail. The answer is they all trade. I am not saying if they are good or not. I am saying they trade. Of course they do.

The obvious question of course is rhetorical: can you be a good teacher (of trading) without being able to trade yourself? Many would disagree. Many would say that you can’t be a trading teacher, if you can’t trade. As a matter of fact (fact is in the eye of the beholder, of course, but this holds true for me) most people would say you have to be able to trade well to teach.

I like to point out that you don’t have to be a good trader to be able to teach. For example Hurst, who wrote the amazing cyclical trading course in the 1960’s called “The Magic of Stock Transaction Timing”, stated that he hated trading, and he kept his money in T-Bonds.

Steve Nison who has done more than any other individual in the field of technical analysis /Candlecharts also state that he is not a trader. Hell, do I need to point out to all of you that Edwards and Magee, the guys who wrote the BIBLE of technical analysis, they were journalists. They were not traders.

Nevertheless, when you run a seminar business, I feel that you owe it to the people who invest their time and money in you, to show on a continuous basis, that you trade. My desire to run a trading room stemmed from a desire to show that there are people who can both trade and teach.

I ran a room for a couple of years between 2009 and 2011. Then I closed the room because I wanted to spend time on research. In particular I wanted to study Renko and Point and Figure. I traded alongside my studies, but the trading room was closed.

I came back to start trading in the live trading room in April this year. I ran the room for free for the first 2 months. I often had 400 people in the room following me. Once I started charging for it, the number naturally fell.

I find that one of the biggest obstacles to running a live trading room is calling out trades, which are tradable for the subscribers. Since I am not authorised to give trading and investment advice, I have to call it as it is. I am calling MY TRADES. What subscribers do with this information is ultimately their own responsibility.

However, if I constantly make calls in the DAX or the FTSE, which the subscribers are unable to act upon, because the price has moved away from this level, then I would have to close shop pretty quickly. The way to overcome that is to announce ahead of time that if the market trades at a certain level, then I will execute a trade.

This is integrity. This is what I stand for. I teach, and I run a live trading room to signal to others that what I teach stands up in the market place. There will be losing trades. There will be ****-ups. There will be days where I trade like an idiot, but it is real, and it is honest.

So in closing, why did I choose to respond to “justtrader”?

The answer is that his comments are untrue. They are simply untrue. I do not edit comments from members. I don’t call “after the fact trades”. The subscribers are a mixed of seasoned traders and newbies who want to learn to trade.

Can I trade? The room statistics say that I can. My trading style is not for everyone. Trading is said to be a reflection of your character and temperament. It works for me and it works for some.

As I wind down this comment, and prepare myself for another decade of obscurity, I remind myself that I will likely get people comment on my post – comments that may support or argue against my views – and since I invited it, I will read it with interest.

However, I think what bothered me most about bulletin boards and why I am a very infrequent guest now, is that people say things to you in posts that they would NEVER say if you stood face to face with you. The filter of mutual respect has been removed, and that invites a tone which is often condemning and outright disrespectful.

I had an opportunity to state my case. Now I can leave this site alone for another decade.

Thank you for reading

Tom Hougaard - SUNSEEKER

All you have to do is post a few trades on the live thread!
to dispel any negativity created against you.

Hi Tom,
Good of you to look in.

That said, it's a slight shame that you only decided to post because of the unflattering comments made by 'justtrader'. But, if that's what it takes, then I urge members to post lots of criticism of you (politely, of course), so that we may benefit by more regular contributions from you!
:p

Anyway, I hope life is treating you well and, if you can be tempted to post - even on an occasional basis - then I for one would love to hear about your studies of Renko charts. I absolutely love 'em and don't understand why more traders don't use them, especially newbies. IMO, they are ideally suited to novice traders as they are simple and clear, excellent filterers of noise and display trend and S&R levels in a way that even a one eyed Neanderthal could spot.

All the best,
Tim.

Hi Tom,
Good of you to look in.

That said, it's a slight shame that you only decided to post because of the unflattering comments made by 'justtrader'. But, if that's what it takes, then I urge members to post lots of criticism of you (politely, of course), so that we may benefit by more regular contributions from you!
:p

Anyway, I hope life is treating you well and, if you can be tempted to post - even on an occasional basis - then I for one would love to hear about your studies of Renko charts. I absolutely love 'em and don't understand why more traders don't use them, especially newbies. IMO, they are ideally suited to novice traders as they are simple and clear, excellent filterers of noise and display trend and S&R levels in a way that even a one eyed Neanderthal could spot.

All the best,
Tim.

I can only reiterate this!

The toxic and pessimistic atmosphere that has haunted this site for too long is finally being eradicated , as are the bitter individuals that promoted it.

Tom, you are a well know and respected trader and it would be a pleasure to see you back on this forum!

OK... I can certainly be tempted to come out of retirement and post about RENKO. I am a huge fan of them, and I use them in my intra-day trading almost exclusively.

I got my inspiration from Renko through Jeremy De Plessis book on Point and Figure. Whilst not the same principle, they conceptually lean up against each other. That lead me to an obscure author on Caymen Islands or in the vicinity called John Craciun.

He runs a strange old website called markettide

Steve Nison in his second book on candles also discusses Renko.

One of the massive obstacles to Renko is that it is not supposed to involve the element of time, yet somehow this is still a factor on E-Signal. I am getting ahead of myself, and I suppose I need to open a thread at some point on this topic, although I am sure there must be one in existence already.

to be continued ......

One of the massive obstacles to Renko is that it is not supposed to involve the element of time, yet somehow this is still a factor on E-Signal. I am getting ahead of myself, and I suppose I need to open a thread at some point on this topic, although I am sure there must be one in existence already.

to be continued ......
Aha, my crude little ploy worked!
(y)

As for existing threads specifically about Renko - there are a few, but most of them are very short and question based. By that I mean 'Does XYZ software offer Renko Charts?' Not much on Point & Figure either. The best thread of any substance is a long running one by 'dentist007' called: learning to read price action with p/f charts So, if you're up for a challenge and want to start a sibling thread to dentist's about Renko . . .

Thanks for the link - I'll take a gander.
Tim.

The toxic and pessimistic atmosphere that has haunted this site for too long is finally being eradicated , as are the bitter individuals that promoted it.

Great progress on that front, but there is further to go, (if t2w chooses to), but there is still plenty of destructive negativity, rudeness and hostility to address.
If that is done then maybe decent constructive contributors might return and new ones be attracted.
Debate and disagreement are right and proper, harassment and constant attacks (almost always twisted, wrong, ignorant or plain lying) are, imho, not the way to grow the quality of t2w.