Traders: Millions by the Minute

I'm primarily an advisor/strategist to Hedge Funds and feel I have a lot to offer in educational terms as well, so why not add this to my business model?

haha, of course you are.... yet its somehow also worthwhile to provide dubious courses to retail traders?

haha, of course you are.... yet its somehow also worthwhile to provide dubious courses to retail traders?

DT

I don't want to get in a tit for tat exchange with you. That's just negative energy. But I will finish with this...

When I look back at my ten year+ development in financial markets, I spent many a paycheck on courses, seminars, workshops. I carefully selected different analysts, traders, PMs to get a wide and varied exposure to different techniques and perspectives. If people further along the journey had not done this for me with their educational offerings, I'd have only a smidgen of the knowledge I now have. That said, I'm still learning all the time; markets are a never ending journey of discovery. Refine, refine, refine your game!

You may doubt my credentials and offerings. But, if you see some of my mentioned video, I hope you realise I am not the "snake oil" man you are trying to make me out as.

My training days are not high volume regular events, just one or two per quarter. I also do them for the social side of things, to meet other traders and interesting people as I am based the majority of the time in the South of France where working in a home office can be quite solitary.

Bryce Gilmore once said "education costs, but so does ignorance" and that is so true in financial markets.

I wish you well with your journey.

Simon

DT

Ps I see The (mis)Behaviour of Markets: A Fractal View of Risk, Ruin and Reward - Benoit B. Mandelbrot is one of your favourite books. Couldn't endorse it more myslef. A great read!

All the best,
Simon

According to this program the answer is a big fat YES. A postman got 100k by asking. The footballers financial advisor signed it off. I am genuinely inspired by what I watched tonight. "Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you." Matthew 7:7 innit.

;)

Better to lose other peoples money than your own ;)

I recorded part 2. I wasn't initially that enthusiastic about watching it, because I thought it'd bring back bad memories of many yrs ago haha!

Anyway, I did watch it. Here's my observns:-

Rene - clearly an addict. Very sad to watch. Atleast he understands microaccts... atleast how to lose with them. Why doesn't he get a proper job. Then playtrade a couple of times a week. And long term, actually LEARN to trade?

Jane- beautiful bengal cats, but Christ didn't have a clue. Didn't know WHY she wanted to trade. Or how to learn.

Justyn aka "Trillionaire Mindset" (WTF!)and Akeel - wannabe Charlies really, I thought. I didn't figure out whether they actually WERE making any profits. Certainly couldn't see anything tangible about them. I suspected the footballer was some sort of family friend looking to give them some exposure more than anything else.
Maybe Justyn will get somewhere.. some day. But I think the wannabee bling stuff was working against him a bit.

Charlie- what was the reference to £50m again? As someone else said, he seemed more like Patrick Bateman (of American Pyscho) than.... well Patrick Bateman. Obviously, he's training company man. And there ARE some very good educational companies about! However, again I couldn't find much out about him as a trader, and for someone so "in your face", that was a little concerning.

Re the BBC, if they were assisting Charlie or Justyn pull the wool over anyone's eyes, then I think the ITC bureau need to jump on them.

Finally, I think trading should have a warning in the same way as alcohol and cigarettes. Some of these were rather vulnerable people and I felt a bit uneasy watching them.

Anyway, fortunately, I didn't get any traumatic flashbacks watching this programme :D

I recorded part 2. I wasn't initially that enthusiastic about watching it, because I thought it'd bring back bad memories of many yrs ago haha!

Anyway, I did watch it. Here's my observns:-

Rene - clearly an addict. Very sad to watch. Atleast he understands microaccts... atleast how to lose with them. Why doesn't he get a proper job. Then playtrade a couple of times a week. And long term, actually LEARN to trade?

Jane- beautiful bengal cats, but Christ didn't have a clue. Didn't know WHY she wanted to trade. Or how to learn.

Justyn aka "Trillionaire Mindset" (WTF!)and Akeel - wannabe Charlies really, I thought. I didn't figure out whether they actually WERE making any profits. Certainly couldn't see anything tangible about them. I suspected the footballer was some sort of family friend looking to give them some exposure more than anything else.
Maybe Justyn will get somewhere.. some day. But I think the wannabee bling stuff was working against him a bit.

Charlie- what was the reference to £50m again? As someone else said, he seemed more like Patrick Bateman (of American Pyscho) than.... well Patrick Bateman. Obviously, he's training company man. And there ARE some very good educational companies about! However, again I couldn't find much out about him as a trader, and for someone so "in your face", that was a little concerning.

Re the BBC, if they were assisting Charlie or Justyn pull the wool over anyone's eyes, then I think the ITC bureau need to jump on them.

Finally, I think trading should have a warning in the same way as alcohol and cigarettes. Some of these were rather vulnerable people and I felt a bit uneasy watching them.

Anyway, fortunately, I didn't get any traumatic flashbacks watching this programme :D

nice summary boilersuit. all in all a poor programme. poorly thought out and poorly produced.

you have to consider that the act of trading is an internal thing.
it's the sitting on your hands, doing nothing, waiting to take the optimal trade is where the skill is.
unfortunately, that doesn't translate well in a visual medium such as TV.

Hence the film of "man washing Porsche", "woman pressing buttons at home", or of "Chicago trader shouting in the pits".

Reminded me of the comment about old-style movies with computers. They always showed the tapes whirring round, and flashing lights, since they couldn't show the actual circuits "doing anything".

good review by boilersuit.

trendie

Reminded me of the comment about old-style movies with computers. They always showed the tapes whirring round, and flashing lights, since they couldn't show the actual circuits "doing anything".

> The Italian Job when they hack the road traffic computers!

Last edited:
Remember when BBC the news needed a trader to interview at short notice, and this ****ing guy is what they came up with...

Its funny when she says "if you could see the people around me, jaws have collectively dropped", not at his candour I assume, but at who's idea it was to have this weapons grade be11 end on the show.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Best
John

good review by boilersuit.

Anyone old enough to remember those tapes had a plastic circle in them (for write protecting like the tab on a video cassette) you needed eyes in the back of your head in the ops room so you didnt get hit by one flying round the room.
I still miss a slate and rock.

Which hedge funds? What, precisely, do you provide strategy and advice on?

This isn't a kop out in answering your question - but I have confidential agreements with my clients for obvious reasons, so I can't divulge that information.

However, I can discuss a bit about what I do.

The whole idea for my service was born out of the Financial crisis. I was shocked at how many hedge funds lost large chunks of their clients money. Some funds dropped 50,60,70% of their clients money. For supposed experts and guardians of capital, it blew me away how such blow ups happened.

Therefore, I came up with the idea for MacroVIGILANCE to offer a global monitoring service using primarily time series data and proprietary models to navigate the asset universe. The more globalised the world becomes year on year, the more connected the global macro space becomes.

The global monitoring service is in a technical investment letter style format, providing clients with a big monthly report, a weekly brief and the odd storm warning if an important market is likely to cascade.

Additionally, I do specific research for clients on a bespoke basis.

My client base is global, but especially East coast US, the Middle East and Switzerland.

I don't always get it right, but I do the majority of the time and my models will sniff out trouble in a market most of the time before the big move gets underway. Obviously, they also highlight potential opportunities to the long-side.

Most of the clients I talk with subscribe to other services and look to build their world view through many different sources. I believe my service adds some value to their process the majority of the time.

Hope this goes in some way to answering your question.

Regards,

Simon

(Jack O Clubs - if you want to receive my next monthly report complimentary - pm me on T2W with your email address or contact me via my website, cheers)

Last edited by a moderator:
This isn't a kop out in answering your question...

Aside from questioning whether anyone who lost >50% in 2008 was really a hedge fund, your work does look interesting. Not for me, as it's not my approach, but credit where it's due, there does seem a fair amount of substance on your website.

Jack o'Clubs - tks for the positive feedback. Different horses for different courses and all that - that's what makes the market right there!

Agreed, Bernie Madoff Inc. wasn't a hedge fund, it was Ponzi Inc.

All the best