Traders job title

robby31

What do traders tend to call themselves when asked what do they do for a living? What would a trader put on a CV to show their recent work experience(ie trading) if they were applying for a job? Do you have to register as self employed etc if you are trading for a living?

Well, one title for home traders could be "Stocks and Derivatives Trader" ....dunno about all the other stuff...

Last edited:
GJ
Bearing in mind the nature of this site, I really don't think he means retail-trading...

dsmodi said:
Well, one title for home traders could be "Stocks and Derivatives Trader" ....dunno about all the other stuff...

I asked my accountant about the possibility of me generating money from trading, and how I should "present" them in my accounts...

"Derivatives Trader" sounds really sexy when impressing women at parties, but your credit card rating and "riskiness" for loans, cards, mortgages would plummet.

He suggested a somewhat non-descript title such as "Account Manager" etc.
( only volunteer that you are trading your own account / fx / stocks if/when asked )

Remember, credit-cards, loans, mortgage-lending risks are based on statistics.
And 80+% of "traders" lose money.

Just some info from my experience.

Most ordinary businesses from whom I require services do not have a category for "xxxxxx trader" and so I have assumed the role of "stockbroker" on many documents (e..g contents or car insurance) despite my wish for clarity and other obvious protestations. :) "Futures Trader" however sits comfortably on my passport and Inland Revenue forms and I am taxed accordingly as a self employed individual :(

Why do you trade as a self-employed individual, out of interest? My accountant has always advised me to trade via a company and then pay myself via a salary and dividends. Have you been told different?!

Liquidity managers

there has been a tendency in recent times for currency traders working for institutions to be called 'liquidity managers'. Lol.

I was talking about trading from home for myself; i quite like the description of "Account Manager". Not everyone takes trading stocks etc too seriously, they think you are just gambling & dont think you have a proper job. Still not sure if you can just decide to call yourself self employed or do you have to register as a sole trader or something like that? Also if i did apply for a "normal" job the CV would look better with something to show for the most recent period when i have been unemployed but actually having a go at trading.

Skimbleshanks (I think, unfortunately now departed, but I could be wrong) once wrote a brief description on this board that applies if you are trading your own account.

She wrote something on the lines of: if you make money from trading you would then become what used to be called:

"A successful adventurer of independent means"

Of course, there would be nothing stopping you becoming an unsuccessful one if you tried very hard. Of course, this may not be of use for filling in tax forms.

Your job title tells people what you do in a short concise sentence.

Index Derivatives Trader
Statisital Arbitrage Trader
FX Trader
Fixed Income Quant
Exotic Equity Derivatives Model Validation Quant

Try and guess what the above people do for a living....answers on a postcard

Index Derivatives Trader
Statisital Arbitrage Trader
FX Trader
Fixed Income Quant
Exotic Equity Derivatives Model Validation Quant

FX Trader is the most acceptable I think. The last one seems 'exotic' :)

FXdancer,

Disregarding titles: I see by your name you are global currencies new answer to Nicolas Darvas? Congrats (smile).

Robbie

Think carefully about what you do put on your CV, especially if you're looking to get into banking. Account Manager does sound the best, almost neutral, you get the interview and then impress.

I have had 'Independent Futures Trader' on my CV for 3 months now and not had a sniff of anything. My idea was to get some trading experience and pass my SI exams, which I've done and make myself a bit more marketable to bank/brokerage houses etc. I'm not looking to go straight into a trading role, I'm prepared to take a back/middle office job, maybe a client support role perhaps, or anything else that may get a foot in the door. Problem is, from what my agencies have told me, HR simply look at my CV, see 'Independent Futures Trader', see the exams, and bin the CV after assuming...'He just wants to trade, first opportunity he'll jump ship to the front office....' They won't even look past it to the eight years financial markets experience in Trade Support/Client Support/Sales that follows in my CV.

As for putting 'Account Manager' on my CV I am also contemplating putting 'Back-Packed Round South East Asia for nine months living in beach huts, doing absolutely nothing with my life except smoking copious amounts of dope and attended full-moon parties while accompanied by two skinny Swedish birds with dreadlocks, dirty toes and belly-button rings!'.......As the jubbs in HR would probably look at it and think........'Ahh, he took a sabbatical from the city, he'll come back all recharged and ready for action...' No honey, I sunk all my savings and tried trading for myself........

Also, certainly the London area is littered with 'Independent Futures Traders' who are now looking for work. It seems everyone has given it a go!!!

Good luck Robbie. Let me know how you get on, I'd be interested to know.

Regards
Dave

Yes i think the word trader is a bit off a put off on a CV. I presume if trading from home for yourself you are self employed, do you have to register as self employed or do you just decide to call yourself that? Also it look better on a CV than saying you are unemployed even if you havent made much money at the trading!
Rob

Its simple, just call yourself a "private fund manager".

Sounds good and they don't have to know the "fund" is yours.