Traders Assistant positions

steveborner

Hi All,

I have found a position as a traders assistant for Link, who since April have been part of ICAP PLC. Has anyone had any experience with Link?

The position is salaried which is ideal, and have been told the succesful applicant would be expected to be a desk assistant for 12 months, and in the past they have moved assitants on to broker positions. My main question is how realistic is this in anyones experience? Is it just a carrot they dangle or with some hard work is this acheivable? Id imagine it would be a great position to learn about trading and seems a good foot in the door, as I am a newbie to this.

Thanks
Steve

GJ,

In all honesty, I went in expecting far more than what I can realistically expect as a first step in the office as a non grad. The post you have quoted I had pictured a manic trading floor I also had the image if waltzing in as a junior trader/broker working my way on to trading. The position as a trader's assistant seems a decent bit of experience to work my way forwards, especially after reading over TwistedHedgeHogs post about learning the art of trading. This has lead me to rethink my approach to becoming a trader.

Cheers
Steve

Not sure if this firm are traders or brokers as I've not researched it but you use the terms together and they're part of icap. Any financial experience is good but broking is not trading and if you want to become a trader there are more relevant start points than broking, although you would build a great network in that area.

Intro,

thanks for the reply, this would be trading, although they are owned by Icap they still trade under the Link name. Icap are purely inter dealers arent they? They are described as market leaders and have offices in London Tokyo as well as New York. How realistic is the move from assistant to desk position within 12 months if at all? Here is reuters write up on the takeover.

ICAP PLC - Acquisition | Quotes | Press Releases | Reuters

thanks
Steve

yeah icap are the top guys for interdealer brokers. I can't really comment on desk assistant to desk moves but at a guess 12-18 months wouldn't be unrealistic. Just a guess.