Trader's Assistant to Trader

IPS26

Hi

I am currently working as a trader's assistant for a passive equity fund manager which I have been doing for over 2 years now. I sit next to traders so I have had a lot of exerperience working in trading and have passed the Level 3 UKSIP exam. As a result of managerial and structural changes, I have lost many of my responsibilites without gaining any new duties, which has meant work has been very dull. With my bosses unable (or unwilling) to do anything about it, I am considering moving on.

My biggest concern however is that if I do leave, this would seriously hold back my chances of becoming a trader, because the likliehood is that I would have to join a company as a TA rather than an actual trader. Does anyone know if many companies do consider employing traders with ony assistant's level experience? Or is it a case of slugging it out in a job with little happening in the hope I will be made a trader?

Thanks

IPS26

depends what you mean by company do you mean a prop shop or a big IB ? Either of those places would look at your experience as a good thing but if its an IB they would still most likely expect you to join them first as a traders assistant, although depending on your qualifications etc you could possibly get taken on as a junior trader. The best thing i would say is just enquire at a few places and see what there response is

Critical but worthy advice:

Keep your head down, do more work than your expected to do and most of all, make some friends where you work and ask them how they got to where you want to be.

Strangers on a forum wont be able to fully appreciate your working environment but the above is true if you wish for promotion.

Hi

I am currently working as a trader's assistant for a passive equity fund manager which I have been doing for over 2 years now. I sit next to traders so I have had a lot of exerperience working in trading and have passed the Level 3 UKSIP exam. As a result of managerial and structural changes, I have lost many of my responsibilites without gaining any new duties, which has meant work has been very dull. With my bosses unable (or unwilling) to do anything about it, I am considering moving on.

My biggest concern however is that if I do leave, this would seriously hold back my chances of becoming a trader, because the likliehood is that I would have to join a company as a TA rather than an actual trader. Does anyone know if many companies do consider employing traders with ony assistant's level experience? Or is it a case of slugging it out in a job with little happening in the hope I will be made a trader?

Thanks

IPS26

Hi

Thanks

IPS26
How did you get in as a traders assistant? I am a trader myself, but would like to be employed as a trader. I know you have to pay your dues first. Can you or anybody else steer me in the right direction.