Took a 1 year break from trading... muh thoughts now?

Chartsy

Experienced member
Alright phaggots, I wanted to share some insights that i've gained from taking a long break from trading.I started getting into financial markets from the age of 14 and , without a doubt to the detriment of a healthy building of self-esteem and social aptitude, spent the next 4 years ( and around 4000-5000 hours) completely fuarking immersed. Like completely to the point where i'd feel totally **** about myself after one trade went 10 pips against me.

It took me years to become good at trading, and the way I became good was just to take each failure as it comes, and eventually around the age of 17 I managed to convince a guy online to pay for access to a mentor who teaches thousands of guys to trade. I spent a year with this guy and he soon took me under his wing and eventually offered me money and a place to stay in his country. After realising where I was in my life , and that trading had make me into a complete ball of frazzled neurons , I took time off.

I actually aced my A levels, got into a good uni and stuff, but trading and it's years of stress pretty much triggered some ****ed up OCD-stress thing that was so serious i basically broke down into clinical depression/anxiety. I had to drop out and see 2 therapists .

Ultimately, therapy did nothing for me . What helped was just good old-fashioned ****ing out bad habits -like trading- and replacing them with a healthy lifestyle. So I threw myself into the real world, working 60+ hours a week in a fast food outlet. I started off with no confidence, drugged up on SSRIs, completely ****ed up in the head. Fast forward 6 months and now at 19 i'm pretty much managing the place, training dudes older than me, doing the money at night, etc.

Now i'm where I wanted to be when I left trading ( with the intention of returning to it). What have I learned?

1) Trading is just as much an other-dimension, super-tough, ego breaking mysterious business as the real world is.I used to look up to traders and market wizards as superhumans with amazing levels of consciousness or something. They're not. They might be, just like anyone from any other industry.

You face your fears in any job/industry ( like you're stupid ) , and in any job industry , like trading, you can take constructive criticism and not be defensive about it. pretty simple really. So yeh, trading isn't that mysterious and awesome.

2)Why you won't make it. Sorry, but it's pretty true. 99% of people are too lazy to do REAL hard work. They can't be assed to go to the gym,meditate, blah blah and all I see over t2w is this fluttering around method to method.

Trading, again, is not mysterious and in another plane of existence detached from ying or some **** like that. Real success in trading is NO different to success in anything: don't p!ss about, do real hard work, accept you're **** when you start and learn from mistakes. That means journalling everything and obsessively reflecting on failures ( whether it's gym workouts, how to improve your speeches, trading etc) there has to be a daily/weekly reflection of your progress in those areas, all properly documented.

The reason why you will fail at trading is the exact reason why you won't stick to one method and journal it. Stop comfortably re-reading the same posts about swing trading vs day trading, or ema systems or any other time-wasting ****. same goes for any other endeavour. You need a point of focus.

Might add more later phaggots

So you're 19 now.

2 years ago at 17 you spent a year distance studying under a mentor and a year later (just a year ago) went and moved over to his country to stay with him - for an undisclosed period of time. You then took a year off.

Within what can only be the merest fraction of a year, you've aced your A-levels, got into a good at Uni, seen two therapists and are doing 60+ hours a week in a fast food outlet.

Whatever your strong points are - maths isn't one of them. I'd suggest reality isn't in your Top-10 either.

Apologies for the terse tone, but there are too many people on this site earnestly searching to improve their trading to have time-wasters like you sapping their energies with superfluous story telling.

An honest enuff post from OP. Word of advice to teenagers wanting to start trading before they've kissed their first girl: reach a few of life's bases 1st.

GTTY

So you're 19 now.

2 years ago at 17 you spent a year distance studying under a mentor and a year later (just a year ago) went and moved over to his country to stay with him - for an undisclosed period of time. You then took a year off.

Within what can only be the merest fraction of a year, you've aced your A-levels, got into a good at Uni, seen two therapists and are doing 60+ hours a week in a fast food outlet.

Whatever your strong points are - maths isn't one of them. I'd suggest reality isn't in your Top-10 either.

Apologies for the terse tone, but there are too many people on this site earnestly searching to improve their trading to have time-wasters like you sapping their energies with superfluous story telling.

pffffff:LOL: good one!

So you're 19 now.

You've misread, phaggot.

17 and distance studied and offered to move ( I didn't move away you bell end)------>aced a levels got into good uni)------> dropped out and took a gap year, unemployed first half, working second half

You've misread, phaggot.

17 and distance studied and offered to move ( I didn't move away you bell end)------>aced a levels got into good uni)------> dropped out and took a gap year, unemployed first half, working second half

For someone of 17 years old that seeks out strange men online and then decides I will go over and live with said strange man in a foreign country and let him give me money and a place to live to then come back here and call other posters phaggots is really the pot calling the kettle black dont you think

Not the best start to address readers as phaggots...

Also, why drop out of university? They're usually pretty understanding about people with problems, I can't imagine them kicking you out in your first year if you were seeing therapists.

Not the best start to address readers as phaggots...
Welcome back Chartsy, but please note Shakone's wise counsel and drop the abusive tone - otherwise your return is likely to be short lived. There have been lots of changes around here since you contributed on a regular basis and all the members who used to post in a rude and confrontational manner have either moved on or been banned.
;)
Tim.

Alright phaggots, I wanted to share some insights that i've gained from taking a long break from trading.I started getting into financial markets from the age of 14 and , without a doubt to the detriment of a healthy building of self-esteem and social aptitude, spent the next 4 years ( and around 4000-5000 hours) completely fuarking immersed. Like completely to the point where i'd feel totally **** about myself after one trade went 10 pips against me.

This post reminds me of the internet circa 2004, but quite interesting. When I was responsible for a notable % of the exposure for a top tier's fx desk, I actually developed temporary PVCs (premature ventricular contractions) from the stress and probably slept 2 hours a night for many years - the associate immediately beneath me developed spot alopecia (I had to explain to HC why a 25 year old looked like he was in his mid 40s post three divorces) and the VP for the exotics unit handed his notice in to become a paramedic of all things, sending around a very memorable final e-mail about us all being vipers, singling me out for particular vitriol even though I had defended him numerous times during moderation. Oddly enough he'd been caught flushing the contents of the daily fruit delivery down the female trading floor cubicles before the pre-auction meeting numerous times during his final 18 months. I remember having to sign off one memorable invoice for the removal of a mango from an integrated u-bend - memorable because mangoes were not part of the fruit delivery and he must have bought one especially from Sainsbury's to block the toilet.

The upshot is there's no point in being rich if you'll be dead at 40 - which is where I was going. I eventually learned to relax - ever notice how many people at work seem oddly incompetent/don't seem to care? I think this is their way of coping with stress and if you are one of the unlucky ones who looks for satisfaction through work/competence/success then you have to also adapt somewhat by the time you're 30 to 35. Going at 100% all the time WILL kill you.

This post reminds me of the internet circa 2004, but quite interesting. When I was responsible for a notable % of the exposure for a top tier's fx desk, I actually developed temporary PVCs (premature ventricular contractions) from the stress and probably slept 2 hours a night for many years - the associate immediately beneath me developed spot alopecia (I had to explain to HC why a 25 year old looked like he was in his mid 40s post three divorces) and the VP for the exotics unit handed his notice in to become a paramedic of all things, sending around a very memorable final e-mail about us all being vipers, singling me out for particular vitriol even though I had defended him numerous times during moderation. Oddly enough he'd been caught flushing the contents of the daily fruit delivery down the female trading floor cubicles before the pre-auction meeting numerous times during his final 18 months. I remember having to sign off one memorable invoice for the removal of a mango from an integrated u-bend - memorable because mangoes were not part of the fruit delivery and he must have bought one especially from Sainsbury's to block the toilet.

Genuinely, genuinely funny post.

So you're 19 now.

+1

4000-5000 hours is total bullsh1t.

Not only because of the things you mentioned PB but also because you totally missed the amount of time this 14-18 year old spent 'throwing himself around the bathroom' in those 4 years.

Does T2W really entertain adolescent threads?

Welcome back Chartsy, but please note Shakone's wise counsel and drop the abusive tone - otherwise your return is likely to be short lived. There have been lots of changes around here since you contributed on a regular basis and all the members who used to post in a rude and confrontational manner have either moved on or been banned.
;)
Tim.

Why are you even entertaining the participation of children on this site?

There is no upside for T2W in this - these people aren't even old enough to open an account, let alone have a mature conversation on the topic.

TEENAGERS
TIRED OF BEING HARASSED BY YOUR PARENTS ?
ACT NOW!
move out, get a job
pay your own way,
WHILE YOU STILL KNOW EVERYTHING!!

I remember having to sign off one memorable invoice for the removal of a mango from an integrated u-bend - memorable because mangoes were not part of the fruit delivery and he must have bought one especially from Sainsbury's to block the toilet.

flushing fruit down the toilet hmm. did you work with Keith Moon by any chance? :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Why are you even entertaining the participation of children on this site?
DT,
If you believe there is an upside for T2W and its members by implementing some sort of age discrimination policy - by all means put your views to Steve. Thus far, we've not done so and, as far as I know, there are no plans to do so in the future.
Tim.