Time Differences for Trading

Soes Bandit

Hi Guys,

How do you UK traders deal with the time difference between us and the opening of the US Markets? Obviously there is a five hour difference between us and the opening of the NYSE. Has anyone found this to be an issue?

Cheers!

Hi Guys,

How do you UK traders deal with the time difference between us and the opening of the US Markets? Obviously there is a five hour difference between us and the opening of the NYSE. Has anyone found this to be an issue?

Cheers!

Clearly not that obvious, where did you get 5 hours from
And why should that be an issue? You are either trading the symbol quoted on the LSE, or the one quoted on the NYSE. You can get a little movement just before as the bell opens but i've never been affected by it

Hi Malaguti,

Sorry, what I mean is, if I wanted to trade the NYSE, this opens at 9.30 am EST. The time difference from the UK Is five hours - trading from 2.30 pm till late evening. When I ask if this is an issue. I wonder if UK traders still trade these hours or trade our markets. As you can appricate these are unsociable hours.

Thanks

Let me try an add something helpful. What ya have is the benefit of gettin up at a reasonable hour and havin sufficient time ta compose yourself, if you're trading NYSE, NASDAQ.

Look for good/bad news. If after the first hour of trading, price is not showing any reaction to the news, fade it.

If you're in a bull market, prices open lower and head up during the day. In a bear market, they open higher and head down during the day.

Is that what yer lookin for?

Last edited:
It wasn't a wind up, it was actually a genuine question. I've been learning about trading for the last year or so now. I haven't actually traded yet, but I would like to soon. The opening hours for NYSE are 2.30-9.30pm GMT. If I were trade for the day, presuming no good set ups were found early on in the trading session, I would be working till late on after normal working hours (unsociable hours). Not that this would be a major issue as this is something I am very keen on. I just wondered if UK traders were more inclined to trade UK markets with our hours.

Thanks for the advise.

It wasn't a wind up, it was actually a genuine question. I've been learning about trading for the last year or so now. I haven't actually traded yet, but I would like to soon. The opening hours for NYSE are 2.30-9.30pm GMT. If I were trade for the day, presuming no good set ups were found early on in the trading session, I would be working till late on after normal working hours (unsociable hours). Not that this would be a major issue as this is something I am very keen on. I just wondered if UK traders were more inclined to trade UK markets with our hours.

Thanks for the advise.
Forgive me playful terseness. It's just that if you've got a passion for the trade, there is no such thing as unsociable hours.

Hi Guys,

Cheers!

Im trading from Singapore. I trade the Nikkei(7am-5pm here), Dax(3pm), Footie(3pm), Dow, NAsdaq(10pm-4am).

I trade every day because i have the passion to eek out a living and make my live a better one. For myself and making a difference to the betterment of others who are less fortunate. The hours don't matter really. I sometimes get so lost into it until i realise i need a break. Nevertheless, the rewards far outweigh the sacrifices once uve invested time, focus and determination. :cool:

Hi RadinSG, so do you set aside time for sleeping at some point? :cheesy:

I have been on the east coast of the US for the last fortnight - normally I trade from London and work around 7am-4pm, mainly trading forex. In effect I have ended up trading around 7am-noon local time here in the US and then spent the afternoon doing a bit of trading development work because the fx pairs that I watch are a lot quieter during the afternoon local time.

It's been an interesting experience trading out of a different time zone for a couple of weeks. (though it hasn't exactly been producing stellar returns!)

Hi RadinSG, so do you set aside time for sleeping at some point? :cheesy:

I have been on the east coast of the US for the last fortnight - normally I trade from London and work around 7am-4pm, mainly trading forex. In effect I have ended up trading around 7am-noon local time here in the US and then spent the afternoon doing a bit of trading development work because the fx pairs that I watch are a lot quieter during the afternoon local time.

It's been an interesting experience trading out of a different time zone for a couple of weeks. (though it hasn't exactly been producing stellar returns!)

Aloha options-george!

To answer your question, i do take breaks especially when the market is choppy or sideways. Ive a sofa bead in my study where i trade on my triple monitor setup . Should i get buttache for time to time, ill lie down in the comfort of the sofa and monitor and surf from the comfort of my wireless keyboard n ipad.

Trading out of a different timezone takes some aclimatizing for me especially if the adjustment is more than a few hours. I do get edgy and have a tendency to chase the market if the change is drastic or if the weather is extremely humid or cold.

Its been a stellar couple of weeks of positive trading with today being the exception. had 3 hits and 7 misses that had to be rollover trades .

Nice blog by the way!!

hii guys .....
i think Time Differences for Trading is very important for smooth trading........