DiNapoli MACD versus MACD

FTSEBOY

Hi again,
I have searched high and low across the web trying to find the differences between DiNapoli MACD and MACD. Does anyone kmow what the difference between the two are?
Cheers
FTSEBOY

I've never heard of DiNapoli MACD - Joe DiNapoli was (is) famous for writing a book called DiNapoli Levels which relates to fibonacci.

If he did do something different with MACD, then it would interesting to hear all about it - when you find out!

I would imagine the difference is purely in their availability - 'normal' MACD with practicaly all software packages, both free & subscription/purchase, whilst DiNapoli MACD is probably only available for an additional fee of some sort.

FTSEBOY said:
Hi again,
I have searched high and low across the web trying to find the differences between DiNapoli MACD and MACD. Does anyone kmow what the difference between the two are?
Cheers
FTSEBOY

FTSEBOY,

There's no difference since DiNapoli uses a regular MACD. He has a specific non-standard setting which he uses in conjunction with a stochastic indicator. I don't have the setting handy but can give it to you if you want. It won't do you much good without reading the book but you can PM me and I'll give it to you anyway.

BTW, Trading With DiNapoli Levels is one of the best books I've read. It's expensive but well worth it for understanding Fibonacci retracements alone. It's well written (for a change!) and goes a ways towards laying down all the Fib trading fundamentals including entries, stops and exits. I've seen it on ebay for as low as $45 US and several other sites have used copies available.

--opm8

Hi

To turn a standard Macd into a DiNapoli Macd change the default settings to 8 13 9 and you will then be able to put a standard Macd agains the Dmacd settings and see the difference. He has simply used Fibonacci numbers to change the settings.

There is a new package of DiNapoli indicators available which is being Beta tested by Fox Futures and is available to buy for some USA software. It will be available soon FREE on Dealbook.

Some of it is predictive and looks super like the 3 x 3 indicator already available on Dealbook which shows where the market is about to go.

Joe uses his Dmacd with a Slow Stockastic without the high/low zones showing as well as a 3 x 3 MA (which is his as well) to trade with. When the Macd and Stockastick BOTH cross over their signal lines in the same direction, often with a lag between the two, he trades. You will usually have to wait a while for them both to cross over and you need to look for a steep angle to be confident that the move is worth trading. Often the Stockastic will cross but not the Dmacd. Once in a trade, he uses the Stockastic to exit at retracements and then resume when it again crossess in the direction of the trend confirmed by Dmacd.

Set it up, test it and see for yourself. It works very well for him and me too.

Sincerely

Phil H

opm8 said:
FTSEBOY,

There's no difference since DiNapoli uses a regular MACD. He has a specific non-standard setting which he uses in conjunction with a stochastic indicator. I don't have the setting handy but can give it to you if you want. It won't do you much good without reading the book but you can PM me and I'll give it to you anyway.

BTW, Trading With DiNapoli Levels is one of the best books I've read. It's expensive but well worth it for understanding Fibonacci retracements alone. It's well written (for a change!) and goes a ways towards laying down all the Fib trading fundamentals including entries, stops and exits. I've seen it on ebay for as low as $45 US and several other sites have used copies available.

--opm8

Last edited by a moderator:
Change the first two settings on a Macd to 8-13 and you will be close to Dmacd.

Phil

FTSEBOY said:
Hi again,
Cheers
FTSEBOY

Looks like Joe will be in the UK twice next month: november 12 for the an 90 minute session at the traders symposium and a full-blown seminar on the 19th - so you could ask him about his macd settings in person ;)

http://www.fibtrader.com/seminars/

I'm a bit of a DiNapoli stalker..erm..fan :LOL:

DiNapoli settings are no different to the standard settings, people alwasys fall for it.If somthing is different over the standard method it will work better. I don't buy it. Do traders still use MACD

A good trader- with a good grasp of money management( see tharpe) can make all the money he wants with just a macd. It is not the indicator that is the "grail"- it is the market its self!