ticks

TheNovice

I am going through elder's "come into my trading room" book.
He explaines that tick is the minimum price change permitted by the exchange. I still have not understood it fully; is it a rate of change or an absolute value set by the exchange (e.g. 0.01p)?
Is it the same across all shares or they have different values?
for example what is the tick value for cookson [CKSN] and Barcleys [BARC]?
I appriciate any input on the above. :cheesy:
cheers

A tick is usually the smallest increment that a price can rise or fall, so 1p, as it is on CKSN and BARC. In the US it is usually one cent.

However, for stocks which are only pennies each the increments are in fractions of a penny, so the price will go from 1.9p to 2.0p to 2.1p etc. On some it can be 1.90 to 1.95 to 2.00 etc.

On futures, for example emini S&P, it is 0.25 point.

"tick" ..something normally found on dogs or explosive devices , best not to make this enquiry in airports at the moment ;)

but in this case the minimum change in measurement of value that you can trade on and no they are not the same across all instruments...examples .01p or .01cent and so on...

Cheers

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A tick is usually the smallest increment that a price can rise or fall, so 1p, as it is on CKSN and BARC. In the US it is usually one cent.

However, for stocks which are only pennies each the increments are in fractions of a penny, so the price will go from 1.9p to 2.0p to 2.1p etc. On some it can be 1.90 to 1.95 to 2.00 etc.
;-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Skimbleshanks; I have just checked the CKSN price on ADVFN and the price has fallen from 45.5p to 45.25p therefore, the tick should be less than 0.25p? The same goes for BARC (the price seems to be jittering within a penny)!
As the first price was below a pound and second one above do I say the tick is 0.1 or 0.25 or what?
Thanks

A tick is something my teacher put in my book when I got an answer right

wow, you had books in school..you must have been one of those rich kids we heard about

You bet! One of my mates we called spoonie (silver spoon) because he had a RUBBER on the end of his pencil!!! Now thats flash.

He said his old man traded SB's too!

I knew a guy like that once. We'd go to the bar and he'd show off by buying a whole pint for everyone to share. Boy oh boy, were me and my eight pals jealous as we dipped our straws into the London Pride, powerful thing envy.

A tick is one of those involuntary muscle spasms that tend to occur when you have a run of losing trades.

Being of limited literary prowess am I right in saying it was Shakespeare who said "to tick or not to tick what is the question..." ?

lol Dow Dog!

Youwho - thats me that is! At Christmas though I push the boat out and get them a Fullers ESB!!!!

It's a good job us limeys can laugh at ourselves unlike certain brokers from across the pond.

demag

My wife and my girlfriend keep ticking me off for losing all my money at trading.

If you've got half a tick I can sell you a good system for $10000 and you'll have even less then!