Thinking about banks and forex...

Technically Fundamental

Banks are international and have subsidiaries i.e. one bank is normally owned by another bank. Each bank holds cash deposits of local currency. Therefore, at any given time, each major bank has billions worth of assets in hard cash of different currencies on the balance sheet which in real terms would fluxuate in value according to the forex markets.

To me, it stands to reason that there must be some super genius with the job of helping the banks capitalise on their cash assets through forex. I'm not talking about traders because they trade numbers-on-a-screen-illusion-money as opposed to tangible-I-can-draw-this-out-of-the-bank-money-that-actuall- exists-in-the-real-world.

If this is the case, this would mean that banks intentionally or unintentionally manipulate the markets to their benefit.

I've already been thinking about how could in theory turn a bearish market during the US session to profit by continually shorting then buying in during the Asian from their overseas branches then rinse and repeat.

I suppose I'm just wondering how they do what they do.

Am I talking sh*t again or does this make sense? Anyone else with any ideas?

I made the mistake of forgetting that electronic debt money becomes cash once the debt is settled lol...

They could use an FX swap for the two dates (which would square the cashflow, but create a similar position in whatever the other currency, probably euro, is. Or they could go into the money markets and lend short term to exploit the cashflow. QUOTE]

Which means basically bouncing the problem around until a position arises in another division/susidiary whatever that negates it?

Can you only learn this stuff working in a bank?

so many aspects to the money market of one currency, never mind crossing international boundaries.

Its a pandoras box isnt it lol

F -it I'll stick to learning to trade and forget about the reasons behind it all. Learning this stuff wont get me paid lol.

I like the knowledge but it's sh*t being stuck in accountancy when all you think about is the markets and banking lol. Cant be arsed to go to uni now though tbh. The fire is starting to burn out lol.

Plus I reckon this is my last year to apply for trainee positions in trading cos I'm 25 next year so I'm just concentrating on that.

When 25 hits I'm giving up and becoming getting my head stuck into accountancy if I've made no progress. Lose my own money on the side lol.

My actual plan was to do my finish ACCA then try to worm my way into an analysis role in a bank position related to the trading desk then pick up a few things for make benefit glorious person that is aaron