The Way to Trade

Big lotties daily financial book review....

Heres what I remember of the book....... a couple of quotes from John Boy that I remember.

"We become impossible to live with"

"We live in a world of total abundance"

Obviously the Piper has filled in the blank bit's between those 2 snippets,if only with, "note to self, must flog more trading methods, polish head and mow lawn at weekend" .However ,once the layman has thumbed his copy several times, the void is likely to remain for some considerable time to come.

That said I think he is very happy to flog you a trading method. Limited distribution of course. <snigger>

What are you hoping to learn from his book ? What do you want to know, do you have a specific list? Someone might be able to fine tune a recco with more detail provided.

I've heard a pretty good review of John Piper's book and he has made a few good calls on the market, but does anyone know whether this is any good:

http://www.the-way-to-trade.co.uk

I found the book very useful when I read it a while ago. It's emphasis is on futures and options so may not be suitable for everyone.

Just because a trader is trying to sell other stuff doesn't mean he is to be discounted.

In fact there is value in looking at many systems for sale and understanding why they attract the naive and why they don't work in the long run.

A good phrase I recently read was, "before you place your trade ask yourself where the loser would be now?"

I found the book very useful when I read it a while ago. It's emphasis is on futures and options so may not be suitable for everyone.

Just because a trader is trying to sell other stuff doesn't mean he is to be discounted.

In fact there is value in looking at many systems for sale and understanding why they attract the naive and why they don't work in the long run.

A good phrase I recently read was, "before you place your trade ask yourself where the loser would be now?"

Books, magazine subscriptions, may have just one item of information, or advice, that makes the cost of buying and reading it worth the trouble.

Piper's book has a lot psychology guff in it that I still have not read, but there are a few points in it that I use to this day and that I consider to be gems. The same can be said for most written work.

Everyone knows something and his knowledge is to be respected. The effort required by the reader is in the finding of that one snippet.

Split

Books, magazine subscriptions, may have just one item of information, or advice, that makes the cost of buying and reading it worth the trouble.

Piper's book has a lot psychology guff in it that I still have not read, but there are a few points in it that I use to this day and that I consider to be gems. The same can be said for most written work.

Everyone knows something and his knowledge is to be respected. The effort required by the reader is in the finding of that one snippet.

Split

thats so true. the offer is for $97, only about £50.
you will never find a complete system is one place.
what you do is you pick up little ideas here and there which suits your psychology.
and soon enough, these little bits adds up to your own custom system that works for you.

Splitlink: be wary! that last sentence of yours almost sounds like "finding diamonds/gems" that one of T2Ws premier members is fond of saying. Just dont start changing your font-colours! :)

you've got some mixed reviews georgio, you know what your gonna have to do ? :p

by the way, did piper write that ebook, learn to trade the markets ? click on the link, I thought it was pipers book link? I see it mentions pipers technical trader hotsheet included, but I cant see his book, unless he's repackaged it ?

mmm, dont remember seeing that content list in his book...... , he had a pyramid of steps if i remember correctly? also at the back of the book, he offered a free evaluation by email and was still at Berkley Futures London.

I never did the evaluation offer from his book, anyone actually do it ?

Last edited:
Splitlink: be wary! that last sentence of yours almost sounds like "finding diamonds/gems" that one of T2Ws premier members is fond of saying. Just dont start changing your font-colours! :)

He copied those words from me!

Oh, My God! Please don't let anyone confuse me for someone else!:eek:

Split

you've got some mixed reviews georgio, you know what your gonna have to do ? :p

by the way, did piper write that ebook, learn to trade the markets ? click on the link, I thought it was pipers book link? I see it mentions pipers technical trader hotsheet included, but I cant see his book, unless he's repackaged it ?

mmm, dont remember seeing that content list in his book...... , he had a pyramid of steps if i remember correctly? also at the back of the book, he offered a free evaluation by email and was still at Berkley Futures London.

I never did the evaluation offer from his book, anyone actually do it ?

If I remember correctly, he offered five minutes free telephone time, which I decided was not worth the effort, although I found chapters of his book useful. When you come to think of it, his offer was a little cheeky---reminds me a bit of Socrates.

Split

You can have my copy.....using it as a door stop at the mo...:LOL:

Really?

"My other publication 'The Way To Trade' is currently priced at up to $212 / £120 on Amazon and has an Average Customer Review of 4 out of 5:"

I forget, now, but I didn't pay that for it, then. I think it has been a good investment. Find which door it's stopping and make me a present of it:)

Split

hmmm, i think the thread may of been started to spam for business on the link that comes with it,,, it doesnt go to pipers e book ?

as for piper and The way to trade, hmmm, ok, nice to of had a brit write a book for a change (if he is british, I dunno) but his book comes across as his path to trading, and not stating any actual "Way to trade" but rather the way (his way) to.....

he exampled a ftse trade, spanned a couple of weeks, I think. Last read the book about 7 years back, and he termed it as a war of attrition, no rocket science, he seemed pleased with holding it for 2 weeks for a couple of grand. But i didnt get the sense it was something special.

But a clever play on words on his part, might of been his way, or journey, but it didnt come across as him knowing THE way to trade.

still just goes to show that aint neccessary I guess.....