The Trading Game - Oct 2013: Week 1

Sharky

Staff
Here's our first trading game thread for week 1 of our October Contest.

'The Trading Game' is a monthly game split into weeks. Each week players post on that week's game thread an actual trade they made that week. Members vote on the trades they like using the 'like' button. At the end of the week the top 5 trades with the most votes win points. At the end of the month, all the points from all the players are counted up and the top 3 players each win an Amazon Voucher.

This month's contest will last 5 weeks and end on Friday, 1st November.

Want to know more? Check out all the details here:
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/t2w-announcements/179522-trading-game.html

Let the game commence... good luck all! (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all

ok heres a Trade ......I will take it here although in truth it was a signal way before this on my systems

my entries are purely based on relative currency strengths so I dont do price entry levels ...but I have explained the trade a little here today on my thread ...once the Yen and USD were both below the zero line on both charts I would have got a signal to trade something

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/for...-basic-ideas-strategies-1490.html#post2197488

theres a S/L and a TP target there........back of the envelope as my systems entry/exits are all based on individual price relativity and not "hard" pairchart prices

anyone else in the game ?
N

Attachments

• trade of the week.JPG
    trade of the week.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 418
  • action stations .jpg
    action stations .jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 408
Last edited:
despite the abysmal performance of this trade so far ....do I still win as the only one entered ?.hahahahaha

despite the abysmal performance of this trade so far ....do I still win as the only one entered ?.hahahahaha
Yes NVP, you do!
At the moment, you're in pole position - well done. C'mon folks, anyone else out there gonna give NVP a run for his money?
Tim.

its not hard is it ?...........I think i'm stopped out ..as described in the initial post ..........I was already far too late to the party ......slap wrist........:)

N

its not hard is it ?...........I think i'm stopped out ..as described in the initial post.
Hi NVP,
Okay, what you need to do now is to post the result of your trade, plus any comment about it that you'd care to make with the benefit of hindsight. The idea is that members can see quickly and easily exactly where you entered, exited and placed your stops etc.
Tim.

I faded NVP (honest:)) so do I win?
That's amusing VdB, but it's not exactly entering into the spirit of the game! Besides, no trades posted, so I'm afraid you're not even a contender. Still, there's two days of the week left and four more weeks after that, so plenty of time to post those trades!
Tim.

Ok here goes.
My trade is a simple channel the Dow cash is in at the moment, the chart posted is a daily. The Dow is going down and looking for a place to stop, the channel shows this to be under 15,000 in the next few days. I have added a horizontal bar at around 14,922 to show a daily gap open left from the 6th September which also lends weight to the target value.
Entry today 3rd Oct between 2pm and 6pm at the best price I think I can get, hopefully over Wednesdays close 15,133. I will post the entry point when I make it.
If I don't like the strength of the Dow at the time (ie US budget resolution, Dow shoots up, I wont make the trade).
Exit criteria around 14,922, I'm expecting this Thursday or Friday. Again will post exit value at the time.
Stops - its a 200 point move so I will have a small position with a 50 point stop which I will move to break even as soon as practical.
Its all so simple - what could possibly go wrong. :rolleyes:
Now we do what every trader LOVES to do - we wait. :sleep:

Attachments

• DJTr1.jpg
    DJTr1.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 337
Just back from Asia for 4 day's then off again

Short DAX 8,618 (SB current price) - stop 8,800 aim 8,200 to 8,300 before month end.

Just need the US to start defaulting on the loans.

It's only a game.

usd/jpy
long
tp& sl 150 points
Hi Pat,
Thanks for the new trade. Remember though that this game isn't about points won or £s/$s made. It's about ideas, promoting discussion and providing insights as to how members trade. Whilst we understand you may not want to go into the precise details of your methodology, providing some explanation as to the thinking behind the trade will increase your chances of success when it comes to voting time!
;)
Tim.

usd/jpy
long
tp& sl 150 points

OK OK

Here is a chart of the above mentioned trade. You can clearly see that it nearly all points north ( moving avs etc. ). That is a good sign imho. Put a line through the highs and lows and you will see that they point north too. It jolly well should go north but you can never be sure imho

OK OK

Here is a chart of the above mentioned trade. You can clearly see that it nearly all points north ( moving avs etc. ). That is a good sign imho. Put a line through the highs and lows and you will see that they point north too. It jolly well should go north but you can never be sure imho

Forgot the chart silly me !

Attachments

• usd-jpy.PNG
    usd-jpy.PNG
    59.9 KB · Views: 390
Just back from Asia for 4 day's then off again

Short DAX 8,618 (SB current price) - stop 8,800 aim 8,200 to 8,300 before month end.

Just need the US to start defaulting on the loans.

It's only a game.

Bit more info for timsk

Not big into charts, not to say I don't look at them.

Looking at the DAX/DOW variance.

Current is 179 with average for this year at 568

So looking for the variance to go back to the 2013 average.

Give's about 4% down for the month.

Attachments

• DAX Short.PNG
    DAX Short.PNG
    236.5 KB · Views: 302
Bit more info for timsk

Not big into charts, not to say I don't look at them.

Looking at the DAX/DOW variance.

Current is 179 with average for this year at 568

So looking for the variance to go back to the 2013 average.

Give's about 4% down for the month.

Not sure how to edit, but the DOW playing with 14800 to 14900 would support.

Sell CAD/JPY - 94.30 - SL 94.75

I want to ride what appears to be a developing trend here. I use the 200, 72 and 12 EMA's to help me identify trends. I like to see price pull back to the 72 (the 3 day average) and the break back below the 12 ( 1 trading session average), which it has done nicely in this case. Note the 72 ma also lines up nicely with a current s/r zone.

Looking to the daily chat, i see price is not near any major swing points ( which to me are trouble areas) meaning that price has got room to move.... Hopefully!

cadjpyh1.png

cadjpydaily.png

Last edited:
Hi Pat,
Thanks for the new trade. Remember though that this game isn't about points won or £s/$s made. It's about ideas, promoting discussion and providing insights as to how members trade. Whilst we understand you may not want to go into the precise details of your methodology, providing some explanation as to the thinking behind the trade will increase your chances of success when it comes to voting time!
;)
Tim.

Well that's a relief because mine cr&pped out

right then - i see things are warming up here finally

in the words of Arnold shwazenblackendecker

i'll be back !!!

N :)