The Oak island mystery

Pat494

Legendary member
What has it got to do with trading I hear you say ? Well to be honest not a lot BUT it is an intriguing mystery centred around the money pit as they call it.

Never heard of it ? Just to briefly summarise, a pit was discovered in the late 18th century , on a small island in Nova Scotia, Canada. Every 10ft or so a platform of logs was laid. In the 1820s people tried to dig it out to see what was at the bottom of the pit but at about 90 feet it flooded. Someone had gone to an immense amount of effort to booby trap it. People have spent millions since trying to get to the bottom and 6 men have died.

The latest attempt by 2 brothers and associates is being followed on Discovery TV.
Theories of it's origins range from the 5 ships full of precious things that sailed from France during the persecution of The Templars to Captain Kidd's missing treasure etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak_Island

I wonder ?

Last edited:
Lol when I read the thread title, my first thought was that someone had unearthed a previously undiscovered and unpublished Enid Blyton mystery in a remote attic somewhere.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

But really weird story you discovered there, had never heard about that before.

The TV programme is on again tonight at 7 pm UK time on SKY Discovery Channel 529.
I won't be in to watch it unfortunately.
Let's hope they get digging and less talking.

Last edited:
Well, I don't know about the oak island mystery....but the discovery of Dick III in a car park in Leicester had me in stitches.

Basically, the woman excavating the remains put a pick through his skull by accident :LOL:

As if he didn't suffer enough in his brief life.

You can see the fresh hole in his skull in the vid clip. :LOL:
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/...deos/all/richard-iii-the-king-in-the-car-park

Full documentary.
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/richard-iii-the-king-in-the-car-park/on-demand

Last edited:
Lol the stuff that goes on in the world.

images

Don't get Discovery here, did you see it, anything new come to light ?

Don't get Discovery here, did you see it, anything new come to light ?
Wasn't able to watch it.
More talk I expect. They tend to stand around the hole planning the next move and it is usually anything but digging !

They could have got some Cornish miners in, on day 1 and probably should have.

Reactions: BSD
They tend to stand around the hole planning the next move and it is usually anything but digging !

Well, err, that sounds like some highly entertaining, umm, entertaínment.

Should be a real Blockbuster, that.

The stuff you can do apparently to earn a living boggles the mind.

images

Well, err, that sounds like some highly entertaining, umm, entertaínment.

Should be a real Blockbuster, that.

The stuff you can do apparently to earn a living boggles the mind.

images

Well yes , see your point but of course the main interest is - what is at the bottom of the hole ?

I see there is a supposed treasure train near you buried deep into the mountains of Poland ?
There are still a few mysteries left to solve thank goodness.

Last edited:
Maybe they really should send in the Cornish miners.

:D

But it really is an intriguing story, must say.

Still active and all, but not too sure about expending too much time on treasure hunts though:

Bloombergview: Treasure Hunting Is the World's Worst Investment

Looks like input / output wise there might be more lucrative stuff to engage in.

:)

Well that article although interesting certainly puts the damp flannel on treasure hunting under water. On land sites the landowner and possibly the Govt. have to be paid off. No expensive boats needed.

In the 1970s I took a tent on my motorcycle to Rennes les Chateau ( just south of Carcasonne ). The story of the local priest suddenly becoming fabulously rich intrigued me. I didn't find any treasure and got warned off from looking there by a local. Nice trip though and beautiful countryside.

"An estimated $1 billion was recovered, but it has not yet been divided or sold because of litigation that involves, among others, Columbia University, an order of monks and a representative of the ship's original insurers, all of whom claim to have supplied research or materials that proved vital to the discovery."

From that NYTimes article above, seems like just because you're clergy doesn't allow one to predict anything about your fondness for an extra penny or two up your sleeve for a rainy day.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Another interesting history is involved. Apparently the dirt poor priest deciphered a secret code from a parchment found in the pedestal of the altar of his old church.
It claimed that after the sack of Rome, the local French tribe got trapped on this hill and buried their Jewish/Roman loot. The priest built himself a posh house, got water pumped up the hill and redecorated the church etc. All tied up with The Templars, Black Magic etc.

Well nice going if you can get it.

:)

There's a Freemasons lodge here in Hamburg somewhere and must say it doesn't exactly reek of poverty.

While I'm sure the whole thing has some merits, I mean they stood up for freedom and liberty long before some others if I remember rightly, what would put me off that path somewhat are loads of rather silly rituals in the company of only men.

But if you're into networking I'm sure there are worse places you could join:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Freemasons