The Most Annoying Thing?

Isn't it annoying when people give you cryptic answers to a simple direct question? ;-)

No, not at all.

It makes life more interesting and challenging for those of us who like a good cryptic puzzle.

I find straight answers rather annoying because they do not constitute an intellectual challenge.

Where is the fun in a straight answer ?

Salty Gibbon said:
I find straight answers rather annoying because they do not constitute an intellectual challenge.
I wonder if that would be your position as you writhe in agonising pain in the A&E - the doctor giving you only a few cryptic hints about your condition?

There is a time and a place for straight answers, but t2w isn't necessarily always the time nor the place... :LOL:

I wonder if that would be your position as you writhe in agonising pain in the A&E - the doctor giving you only a few cryptic hints about your condition?

Thank you Tony. You have made me laugh on this rather miserable morning. :LOL: :LOL: :cheesy:

Salty Gibbon said:
No, not at all.

It makes life more interesting and challenging for those of us who like a good cryptic puzzle.

Where is the fun in a straight answer ?

Like the 2 types of crossword in the better newspapers. Personally, I've never had the desire to sit and struggle with the cryptic ones until I'm competent at them and can eventually do them quickly.

jimmy1jag said:
Like the 2 types of crossword in the better newspapers. Personally, I've never had the desire to sit and struggle with the cryptic ones until I'm competent at them and can eventually do them quickly.

There are certain members who prefer to wrap their mundane answers to straight questions in a wrap of cryptic statements. In this way, they convey mysticism to us peasants, who are simply trying to earn a crust without the bull.

Split

What you are trying to do is to earn a crust, as you put it, without brainwork.

I am sorry to tell you that you have come to the wrong place and put your attention on the wrong topic.

if you do not like solving riddles you ought not to be looking at markets at all, let alone thinking of trading.

It is interesting to note, that during the Second World War, there was an urgent requirement for men and women to work in intelligence, specifically in code cracking, at the Government's HQ designated for this purpose at Bletchley Park.

One of the conditions of entry was for the candidate to be able to complete the Times Crossword in thirty minutes flat.

I am telling you this, because if you are looking for riddles, you have come to the right place. These riddles you have to solve for yourself, as none of us can be you......survival of the fittest, sorry.

SOCRATES said:
One of the conditions of entry was for the candidate to be able to complete the Times Crossword in thirty minutes flat.
I'd be chuffed if i could just answer a couple in thirty minutes!

I can do them, but it takes me much much longer. My wife had a friend who had been doing the Times Crossword every day for the last 20 odd years. She could do them in 20 -30 minutes, and what is more, because she was so familiar with it, she could actually detect when the compiler had changed.
All of this is about getting the crib. You cannot get the crib if you do not beaver. If you do not get the crib you do not succeed in solving the riddle. I cannot provide a parallel lesson more clear than this. But many people are misdirected to believe that all of this is like some sort of free orchard, in which they are permitted to wander in at leisure and pick the best plums in exchange for no effort whatsoever.

too true. I can't deny I was once of those who strolled merrily through such an orchard.... 18 months further on I am still meandering through but putting in a lot more effort to aquire the best plums.

Beavering is another matter altogether though!

You have finished for the day I percieve. Good, because all of it is dead flat. Now to other amusements..

My pet hates are pomposity and arrogance

(Edit: It was a bit loud wasn't it!)

Last edited:
My pet hates are people with no sense of humour and an absence of basic intelligence.

However, it is good to have them around to make up the numbers, especially the 95%. :LOL:

Salty Gibbon said:
My pet hates are people with no sense of humour and an absence of basic intelligence.

However, it is good to have them around to make up the numbers, especially the 95%. :LOL:

Now that's one helluva combination: a miserable, thick person.

(Bit too nice to be beavering indoors today methinks!)

LevII said:
How about a Legendary Member with or without money but a lot of stupid opinions instead.
I have encountered you before, on these boards. I know you are a dunce, but I am benevolent towards you and forgive you your opacity, so you do not have to worry unduly about all this.

LevII said:
How about a Legendary Member with or without money but a lot of stupid opinions instead.

ROFL!!!!! :LOL: :LOL: :cheesy:

Nice one levll - nice one indeed!
So how comes soccy socked it to you, but still not to me! Not fair, I'm feeling left out - NOT....!! but sure would be nice to get a reply from old soccy....:)

Because you are not a dunce dsmodi. You play the fool but you are not a fool. I can see that.

SOCRATES said:
Because you are not a dunce dsmodi. You play the fool but you are not a fool. I can see that.

SOCCY!!!! :eek:

how could u! how could u reply in this way after all the effort i've gone to to wind you up! After all that and u still don't get wound up.... not fair...just not fair.... there's me thinking me you'll metaphorically rip my posts apart, whether it be the brambie semantical way, or in your own soccy way....but no, you couldn't be considerate enough to do that, instead you knock me for 6 in some other outrageous way... some people just have no consideration for others feelings...

:LOL:

P.S. good to get a reply from you at least soccy - thnx for being considerate enough to that extent at least.... :cool:

dsmodi said:
SOCCY!!!! :eek:

how could u! how could u reply in this way after all the effort i've gone to to wind you up! After all that and u still don't get wound up.... not fair...just not fair.... there's me thinking me you'll metaphorically rip my posts apart, whether it be the brambie semantical way, or in your own soccy way....but no, you couldn't be considerate enough to do that, instead you knock me for 6 in some other outrageous way... some people just have no consideration for others feelings...

:LOL:

P.S. good to get a reply from you at least soccy - thnx for being considerate enough to that extent at least.... :cool:
The really serious cannonballs are fired in the direction of the really really rude and the really really obstinate and ignorant, of which you are neither. I have a good reserve of ordnance here.
I have a pyramid of cannonballs here to hand waiting.
They all find their targets, without fail, as those who deserve them have found out, despite returning fire which is invairaibly feeble and ineffectual.
I will inform you of the next artillery barrage if and when it happens, so that you can enjoy the experience as an observer, without being the target.

Kind Regards.

SOCRATES said:
The really serious cannonballs are fired in the direction of the really really rude and the really really obstinate and ignorant, of which you are neither.

Kind Regards.

ohhhh shucks soccy....

:eek: :p :LOL: :cheesy: :cool:

mind u, i suppose i probably come under either the "really really really" camp, or the just "really" camp...prob the latter actually....but at least I ain't a "really really"....(am I learning to be cryptic well folks?) ;)