The Lure of Jihad

Maybe I should have started this thread under the "Irony" one in the foyer.

My point was, these jihadists are allegedly possibly uncomfortable with casual sex and binge drinking yet have no problem accommodating gratuitous beheading.

My point was, these jihadists are allegedly possibly uncomfortable with casual sex and binge drinking yet have no problem accommodating gratuitous beheading.

Its in the scriptures......as is stoning adulterers (female only, of course) and killing those who apostasise (apols not sure thats a verb...........dont cut my tongue out if its not), thk god christians are so selective with their fundamentalism!

Btw wasnt sure where to post this link but some great quotes re finance

http://www.themoneymasters.com/the-money-masters/famous-quotations-on-banking/

Have a gd w/e all.

A mate grew up in qatar and said everyone had a bar in their house. There were just no pubs, and refreshingly prob one of the few places on earth which didnt have an irish bar.

Not sure if any of the residents were serving guinness though.

Beheading was their darts equivalent.

Anybody notice BBC announces ISIS as militants and not terrorists? Weren't they called geurillas in the past?

Yes, the BBC has become increasingly liberal over the years. I remember the days when they used to refer to the likes of Derek Hatton as militant. Can't recall him beheading anyone though, but who knows...

I think the media and Hollywood have to accept they are partly to blame for this increase in the perception of violence. Decent people spent centuries trying to make life less cruel and violent just to be overturned in the pursuit of greedy money- grubbers. Without the oxygen of publicity many of the violent extremist groups would fizzle out !

Bring back the censors imho

I think the media and Hollywood have to accept they are partly to blame for this increase in the perception of violence. Decent people spent centuries trying to make life less cruel and violent just to be overturned in the pursuit of greedy money- grubbers. Without the oxygen of publicity many of the violent extremist groups would fizzle out !

Bring back the censors imho

It's easy to say this, and in a large percentage of modern day cases this maybe true. However, theology and ideology have had a far worse effect on middle eastern civilisation, than any US administration could ever hope or want to achieve.

Yes, the BBC has become increasingly liberal over the years. I remember the days when they used to refer to the likes of Derek Hatton as militant. Can't recall him beheading anyone though, but who knows...

Yes very interesting subtleties of language. Left wing militants is how I remember them.

I thought Obama's speech on ISIS was very well spoken with great ambiguity. The Guardian translates it well.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/11/obama-isis-speech-problems-key-points-mean

When I first heard this I thought - hang on a minute you are saying you'll destroy ISIS with counter-terrorism but at no point is ISIS labelled a terrorist organisation by the US state department. Need an interpreter for this one.

What Obama said:“Our objective is clear: we will degrade and ultimately destroy Isil through a comprehensive and sustained counter-terrorism strategy.”

What it really means: Alas, it’s not a clear objective. It depends on where you put the emphasis – degrading or destroying. Obama has phrased missions like this before to avoid over-promising: famously, with his 2009 “disrupt, dismantle and defeat” objective against al-Qaida. How does the US know when its job is finished? Will Isis still exist in some diminished form at its end? Will Isis hold any territory at all? How “ultimately” is ultimately, and will that “ultimate” destruction occur before or after the US stops lobbing missiles? And so forth.

:rolleyes: :whistling :sleep:

Yes very interesting subtleties of language. Left wing militants is how I remember them.

I thought Obama's speech on ISIS was very well spoken with great ambiguity. The Guardian translates it well.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/11/obama-isis-speech-problems-key-points-mean

When I first heard this I thought - hang on a minute you are saying you'll destroy ISIS with counter-terrorism but at no point is ISIS labelled a terrorist organisation by the US state department. Need an interpreter for this one.

What Obama said:“Our objective is clear: we will degrade and ultimately destroy Isil through a comprehensive and sustained counter-terrorism strategy.”

What it really means: Alas, it’s not a clear objective. It depends on where you put the emphasis – degrading or destroying. Obama has phrased missions like this before to avoid over-promising: famously, with his 2009 “disrupt, dismantle and defeat” objective against al-Qaida. How does the US know when its job is finished? Will Isis still exist in some diminished form at its end? Will Isis hold any territory at all? How “ultimately” is ultimately, and will that “ultimate” destruction occur before or after the US stops lobbing missiles? And so forth.

:rolleyes: :whistling :sleep:

Obama, admitted that the US had no strategy, just a few weeks ago. There's probably a good reason for this, the obvious being that the current crisis is basically as old as islam. So what do you do?

Obama, admitted that the US had no strategy, just a few weeks ago. There's probably a good reason for this, the obvious being that the current crisis is basically as old as islam. So what do you do?

I see the current stuff (not crises) as battle for remaining oil. Black gold makes the world go round...

Give it another 20 years.

The CIA has apparently upped the numbers estimated for the jihadis from 10,000 to 30,000 - 40,000 !

The number of sleeper cells in the West wasn't disclosed but probably in the 100s.

By the time the Western leaders wake up to the extent of the problem a lot of damage may have been done already.

Better brace yer selves guys !! They aren't joking.

The CIA has apparently upped the numbers estimated for the jihadis from 10,000 to 30,000 - 40,000 !

The number of sleeper cells in the West wasn't disclosed but probably in the 100s.

By the time the Western leaders wake up to the extent of the problem a lot of damage may have been done already.

Better brace yer selves guys !! They aren't joking.

Not sure??? I reckon they are an asset my self. Training in Iraq. The militant islamic tools will be turned and pointed to Syria or Iran soon enough...

They are insignificant dicks and markets know it. This is why oil is dropping despite record market highs. Think about it last time the indexes were so high demand from China and India for oil and commodities were taking it to $150+ .

I again put out the idea that all of it is nonsense created by people who want to foster conflict to make money.

A mate grew up in qatar and said everyone had a bar in their house. There were just no pubs, and refreshingly prob one of the few places on earth which didnt have an irish bar.

Not sure if any of the residents were serving guinness though.

Never been there but sounds like a blessed relief.

After a night in a pub full of paddies you're praying for someone to chop your bloody head off.

Off on a half-sensible tangent, I get the political dimension of why Obama has switched from ISIS to IS to ISIL, but the unintended consequence, for me at any rate, is that it now sounds like a old brand of totally dysfunctional loo paper and makes every news item about them one where I am utterly unable to restrain my hilarity. Ah well.

Ah jaysus. You've only gone an given them an idea for their next video where they take out two hostages at the same time:-

A Message to America and its Allies - Double Top