The end of work

Only this morning I helped a young guy to start a business within the business he works in, by giving him a researched idea. Can he do it or will he do it remains to be seen. I would have 20 years ago.

It may be the legacy of the Nanny State that he won't be able to.

Nothing like being a little Hitler owning your own business.

Interesting replies.

Personally I very much believe these things I have described will come to pass, and it is likely to lead to major upheavel and widespread social unrest. I would actually like to move away from any urban areas, but my wife isn't having it.

If I manage to remain in employment and maintain for earnings power for the next 20 years my home will be paid off and I will be able to retire (not as comfortably as most would like) at 55. I don't think it will be easy, I will have to revamp my skillset numerous times.

I live a very modest lifestyle, I earn well but a large part of my monthly income goes into my mortgage and pension.I guess where I am coming from is, I am putting a lot of effort and making sacrifices to get my house paid off and pension topped up, if the you know what really hits the fan....will all this scrimping and saving have done me any good? Perhaps I should be putting my money into something the government can't touch....Bitcoins perhaps (that's not a serious suggestion).

I realise my thought process has veered off into the unlikely...but you know traders need to identify and manage risks, even the unlikely ones.

Or perhaps I should be spending a lot more money on exotic holidays and fancy restaurants. But that's not really my style.

How about gold coins etc. under the floorboards ?
Gold/silver really cheap now.

How about gold coins etc. under the floorboards ?
Gold/silver really cheap now.

Haha, I am not sure if you are serious or not, but I have modest amount of precious metals stashed away.

Maybe it's time to get some more while prices are low, a bit of diversification when I am heavily long property and the Vanguard LifeStrategy fund.

I think what has really come of this thread is I have realised I am way more paranoid than most people out there, I mean I already knew that, but I thought I would find some kindred spirits here. Probably need to take some time out to smell the roses when T2W'ers think you are a lunatic = )