t2w SEARCH facility

TheBramble

Legendary member
I'm trying to locate a post by (I think) China White where he mentions 3 (or was it 4?) types of German Officer. A quote from a WWI or WWII German General?

I've tried all the normal methods, but can't locate it.

Finding it would be nice as it ties in with something that came up today.

But even more interesting to know would be, does the t2w search engine only check 'recent' posts rather than the entire archives?

PLUS

Can I do AND and/or OR in the string search bit?

TheBramble said:
I'm trying to locate a post by (I think) China White where he mentions 3 (or was it 4?) types of German Officer.
They might have removed it in the wake of Ken Livingstone's bad publicity for refusing to apologise. :)

I will quote from memory:~

A General, when questioned, explained that there are four categories of Staff Officer and expressed his preference in the following terms:~

"There are four categories of Staff Officer, Stupid, Intelligent, Inefficient and Lazy".

"The stupid one is a nuisance because he gets in the way all the time".

"The intelligent one is unsuitable because he is always finding a better way of doing things and questions everything, which creats a lot of work for everybody, and therefore tends to be unpopular".

"The Inefficient one is a worry, because he never is able to do things correctly".

"The lazy one just follows orders and is therefore ideally suited to the duties of a Staff Officer".

I trust this helps.

2 independent variables (intelligence, workrate) -> 4 army types. How the establishment judges each:

Intelligence low, workrate low = bad (stupid & lazy)
Intelligence low, workrate high = good (cannon fodder / grunt)
Intelligence high, workrate low = good (officer material, not ambitious enough to be dangerous)
Intelligence high, workrate high = bad (clever and ambitious - most dangerous of the lot!)

For Boolean fans: judgement = intelligence XOR workrate