strategies for spreadbetting

Stochastics

Hi,

I've been spreadbetting for a couple of months now and think I've found a pretty good strategy. I use Yahoo finance pages to get the fast and slow stochastics technical indicators. I trade the daily FTSE and daily DOW on finspreads. I wait until they both indicate that a reversal is about to happen and then place my bet, then wait until the I get about a 10-20 point gain and then get out. I'm averaging about 30 points a day with this method and have only had one losing day so far. Does anyone else use stochastics? are there any other indicators that should be used in conjunction with this?

Regards
Simon

Hi, simon,

Interesting but there's a -what- 15 minute delay with the Yahoo prices... what effect has that had? good luck bill s

Yahoo

Hi Bill,

I thinkn that the Yahoo prices on finance.yahoo.com are only delayed by one minute as long as you keep refreshing the browser. I'd prefer to use live prices but the firewall on my computer wont allow me to install this type of software.
Anyway the system still seems to be working, I made 44 points on Friday on one bet on the FTSE and one on the Dow, and am a couple of points up on the FTSE at the moment although was 18 points down about an hour ago but I hels on and its moved back in my favour.

Cheers
Si

sgillmore post....as long as you keep refreshing the browser......

There's a free tool out there called ..auto refresh...
automatically refresh's the page...havent personally used it.so cant really comment on it ;)

Firewall

SGillmore,

why not change your firewall to Zonealarm which is FOC and it second to none. It will allow you to do what you want with regard to installing any software. The site to get this is www.zonelabs.com

Good Luck

Paul

thanks very much for this, however I do my spreadbetting at work so I have to use their computers and firewalls.

many thanks
Si

Does your boss know you are using his companies assets for your own personal gain ;)

Hi sgillmore,

Use products like HTTP-Tunnel (i.e a Socks Server and Client) and the companies firewall wont stop you accessing sites like Deal4Free...

Just go to Download.com and put in HTTP TUNNEL

JonnyT

Would you beleive it!

I get home to find that Deal4Free have today released a new client for Spreadbetting called Market Maker V

This client uses port 80 so will work through a firewall where normal unfiltered web access is allowed.

JonnyT

Great! Thanks for this info, I was using Finspreads but I hear D4F has better spreads so I might check them out.

Cheers
Si

hi simon,
stochastics... "I wait until they both indicate that a reversal is about to happen and then place my bet,"

I've been having a look and it seems interesting. What signal do you look for? (if you don't mind giving away your secrets)
Tried looking up some articles on the mathematics. Bit over my head.
bill s

Stochastics

I'm using the yahoo finance pages. If you get the technical analysis graph up and put both the fast and slow stochastics on then what I do is wait until they both are above 80 or both below 20 and then when the lines cross you should buy it (if its below 20) or sell it (if its above 80). Its easier to describe with pictures so have a look at this link:

http://www.stockcharts.com/education/What/IndicatorAnalysis/indic_stochasticOscillator.html

It seems to work pretty well but as you're betting that the current trend is about to reverse then you sometimes can be down quite a lot until it comes back in your favour. I've never had to take more than a 30 point loss though and I usually end the day at least 20 points up. I've been putting on one bet on the FTSE in the morning then one one the Dow in the afternoon.
I've only been doing this for a few weeks though which probably isn't really enough time to assess how reliable it is but so far so good.

If you've any more qns please let me know
cheers
Si

Stochastics

Interesting

Its a simple system that seems to yield good results. Do you or anyone know how the stochs are set up on yahoo. I've had a look but I can't seem to find the time period settings.

thanks,

Dave

Hi simon,
thanks for the link, the maths was more my level. I'll be paper trading till I get the hang of it but I like the simplicity. I'll be searching along with Dave for some info on the Yahoo stochastics setups. may the stochs go with you bill

Hi si
you could look at the dax 30 too, often quite big swings. Good buy signal at 8.15 this morning... when I was giving the children breakfast. But I got 13 points (paper only) on the ftse. I'm looking into whether volume will give an indication of a bigger/more sustained move... regards bill s

>willy50
My emails are not getting to you since 12/2/03
I'll snail mail tomorrow if I don't hear from you

If you are interested in trading just the DOW the following free realtime US site might also be of interest. You may have to register to access but its free.

http://finance.lycos.com/home/livecharts/default.asp?symbols=NYSE:DOW

Read the Help page to understand all the tools.

Using a 21" monitor I manage to have open three views of the above site and my spreadbet trading screen open as well. One view shows Stochastics, another MACD and the other the TRIN.
I view them with five minute bars as the one minute gets noisy. The most reliable time of the day for a reversal is between 7.45 and 8.15pm UK time as the Bond market closes at 8pm (3pm US).