Stoat Trader

Stoat Trader

Aargh! Give me strength! Does anyone else out there know what it feels like to have one of your favourite people going quite insane, frothing at the mouth and hurling obsenities at..... a MONITOR? I think it must a man thing. Can anyone help two computer illiterate people with some advice on how to run more than one monitor and the best set up for this for trading? As a newcomer, I hope that this isnt something that has already been covered in great detail, but I'd greatly appreciate any advice before spending vast amounts of money and making a mistake. Tried and tested members opinions would be great.
Equally, am utterly ratted off with the time taken (over a minute in some cases) by the deal 4 free crew in taking bets. Its nice to know that other people are in the same boat.
It seems that it is always the Nasdaq that goes thru pretty much instantaneously and the New York Stock Exchange ( LXK, MMM & ZMH on Monday) get held up and requoted all day for some obscure reason. Anyone know why this should be the case?
I'd like to run at least 4 monitors. HELP!!!!!

First need a card that can support this many monitors.
You can either buy a single quad card or if you have enough PCI slots build up with single or dual cards.
I use a quad card by a company called Matrox. When you get one of these you get or can download software that makes it very simple to configure (well a few hours of fiddling around to get exactly as required).

Finspreads do the same thing. Fun isnt it?

MT

Stoat Trader said:
Aargh! Give me strength! Does anyone else out there know what it feels like to have one of your favourite people going quite insane, frothing at the mouth and hurling obsenities at..... a MONITOR? I think it must a man thing. Can anyone help two computer illiterate people with some advice on how to run more than one monitor and the best set up for this for trading? As a newcomer, I hope that this isnt something that has already been covered in great detail, but I'd greatly appreciate any advice before spending vast amounts of money and making a mistake. Tried and tested members opinions would be great.
Equally, am utterly ratted off with the time taken (over a minute in some cases) by the deal 4 free crew in taking bets. Its nice to know that other people are in the same boat.
It seems that it is always the Nasdaq that goes thru pretty much instantaneously and the New York Stock Exchange ( LXK, MMM & ZMH on Monday) get held up and requoted all day for some obscure reason. Anyone know why this should be the case?
I'd like to run at least 4 monitors. HELP!!!!!

Thank you

twalker said:
First need a card that can support this many monitors.
You can either buy a single quad card or if you have enough PCI slots build up with single or dual cards.
I use a quad card by a company called Matrox. When you get one of these you get or can download software that makes it very simple to configure (well a few hours of fiddling around to get exactly as required).
Thank you for your help. Would appreciate it if there was more you could give me on the best stuff to get. I'm great at trying to put this over aren't I? Just want to get an idea on the best set up to have (not Plasma screens tho) so that I can get on and do this and have my cottage one day!
It is possible to start life over again and the housework just goes to pot as the trading takes over! Time? What time?
Like you, tiptoeing is not my thing.
I just like to smell the roses on the wayWhat do you trade? Thanks again.

Hmmmn!

MysticalTrader said:
Finspreads do the same thing. Fun isnt it?

MT
I havent used Finspreads but do appreciate that now its one to be avoided!
Why NYSE stocks and shares tho? Annoys the hell out of me.
So Mr or Mrs Mystical Trader, do you have any advice on the best spread bet companies to use?
It's so good to get information from veterans for a newcomer. I'm still dealing with the jargon.
Was an intelligent human being once and find that this is something I believe I can do and succeed at. Spend most of my time buried in books and learning more and more to baffle myself with. Just wish more people I knew understood what I'm trying to do.
Its like learning a whole new language with a better chance for improving my life and will be satisfying as it will be self-gained.
As for the opening spreads being fun? I'm thinking of investing in an Uzi!

I think you have many options but I can tell you what I have, but I am a little OTT.
Matrox G200 quad card.
3*17" and 1*19" flat screens
2.0Ghz P4m Processor with 1GB RAM

You can do with just a dual screen for trading and a laptop for all else I think. Depends what you are doing.
My trading PC has dedicated line to clearer and no IP connection and nothing but trading software, CD burning and operating system loaded.
I have laptop with, soon to be, 2 screens for charting , Internet connection and all else.

Sure there are others on this forum who are far more qualified to talk about hardware options

Well, just to correct you slightly, I am not a veteran trader but I am learning. In respect of FS, I wasnt so much thinking of NYSE so much as the long delays filling an order, I had a number of these (with City Index as well), where during the wait, the stock moved in my favour and I lost some or all of the benefit. Also, FS keep changing some markets to phone trading only, and then of course, dont answe the phones! try to get a daily cash market on their internet platform!

I am also convinced I can make a living out of this; you are doing the right thing. read read read, anything, good or bad, it will teach you discrimination. Paper trade paper trade paper trade. I regularly go back to paper trading to restore confidence and to hone judgemental skills. For example, in the past 10 days, I have lost out on 1000 pips or thereabouts. Not because I read the markets badly or wrongly, but because I set my stops and limits badly or wrongly. My fault, no-one else to blame but me. My decisions, my mistakes. I have lost about 11k in the past year but I am losing less now because I am learning what works and what doesnt work. Also, I am learning from other people, some of them on this BB.

IMHO, the best SB company at present is Capital Spreads, but I may move this month to direct through a company in USA (Oanda). I will likely stay with CS for a while though, as a second string. Their spreads are competitive and their customer approach and service is the best I have seen.

Good luck, happy to give advice if I can, as will others in here, winners and losers.

Read read read. Paper trade paper trade paper trade. Ask, ask, ask. I really wish I had followed this advice while I was starting, would have saved me a lot of money, even though I gather that 11k is small for new traders.

MT (Mr)

Stoat Trader said:
I havent used Finspreads but do appreciate that now its one to be avoided!
Why NYSE stocks and shares tho? Annoys the hell out of me.
So Mr or Mrs Mystical Trader, do you have any advice on the best spread bet companies to use?
It's so good to get information from veterans for a newcomer. I'm still dealing with the jargon.
Was an intelligent human being once and find that this is something I believe I can do and succeed at. Spend most of my time buried in books and learning more and more to baffle myself with. Just wish more people I knew understood what I'm trying to do.
Its like learning a whole new language with a better chance for improving my life and will be satisfying as it will be self-gained.
As for the opening spreads being fun? I'm thinking of investing in an Uzi!

Stoat Trader... d4f are renowned for that, so I would not recommend them myself if you want to do any serious trading unless you want to pull your hair out!

Sounds great!

twalker said:
I think you have many options but I can tell you what I have, but I am a little OTT.
Matrox G200 quad card.
3*17" and 1*19" flat screens
2.0Ghz P4m Processor with 1GB RAM

You can do with just a dual screen for trading and a laptop for all else I think. Depends what you are doing.
My trading PC has dedicated line to clearer and no IP connection and nothing but trading software, CD burning and operating system loaded.
I have laptop with, soon to be, 2 screens for charting , Internet connection and all else.

Sure there are others on this forum who are far more qualified to talk about hardware options
Flat screens are what I would love to achieve. You say you have 4? Do you have a rack for these or how do you support them? I would like 4-5 screens and have one above the other. Like you, I would have the computer/s purely for trading equipment.
Thanks for your clear response. At 43, I'm new at this and trying to understand computers as well. However, I can do it and I'd like to achieve more.
Look forward to reading you again.
The Stoat Lady.

More like this sort of setup, best pic I could find on my laptop right now, this is of 2 friends hard at work :)
With Laptop off to left. Not sure how to fit new screen in yet, maybe the stack 2*2 thing would be good.

Attachments

• SladeyGrandadoffice.jpg
    SladeyGrandadoffice.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 260
God thats ugly. Which one is you twalker?

MT

twalker said:
More like this sort of setup, best pic I could find on my laptop right now, this is of 2 friends hard at work :)
With Laptop off to left. Not sure how to fit new screen in yet, maybe the stack 2*2 thing would be good.

Wow!!

twalker said:
Absolutely excellent of you (Sir?). About blacking out the eyes! Curious and curiouser! Wonderful set up. I want one now! Yesterday in fact. Marvellous.
Had good day today. How long have you been trading for and to what level and which markets?
Read you soon,
Stoat Lady.

Still hunting and getting places!

Trader333 said:
Stoat Trader,

Capital Spreads have a good reputation from everyone on this site that I have seen.

I am not sure quite what you are looking for in your setup but have a look at this link as I know IanP was selling a pc with quadcard for multi monitor setups

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/showthread.php?p=117751#post117751

Paul
Hello Paul,
Will check out the options you have sent me. Have been in touch with IanP. Most grateful for your help. Had a good day today and will hopefully keep learning more as I go along.
I wish I was more computer literate as that is the one thing that slows me down. However I WILL get my orders up more proficiently soon!
What markets do you trade and for how long?
All the best for tomorrow,
Sarah.
Is there a website where one can obtain the earnings announcements for the day and at what time they're being released?

Thanks for the info dude!

bigtimetrader said:
Here is a site I found with a simple Google search which has an explanation about dual monitors, set-up, etc... seems like it covers all the bases:
http://freepctech.com/pc/001/guide_dual_monitors.shtml

Hope it's helpful.
Hi you over the puddle!
Thanks so much for your help from me here in the county that Prince Charles and many lesser royals live in. Ever heard of Cheltenham Racecourse? I live in a lovely vellage just at the back of the race course with the beautiful Cleeve Hill in the background. So if ever you see it on your TV you will know where I am.
I will check out the info from you and am very grateful for your suggestion. I'm 43 and trying to start life over and this could give me the break I need to achieve just that.
Had good day today. Hope you did too.
Regards,
The Stoat Lady.

Thanks for the info.

Market Wizard said:
Try the following, i use their Predator LT4 and have had no problems.

http://www.colorgraphic.co.uk/
Cheers for that Market Wizard.
Which markets do you trade? Hope you had a good day today. I would think most people did.
How long have you been trading for? How did you get into it and are you making a go of it?
What system do you use to trade? Are you a spreadbetter or what is your bag?
Wish me luck! Thank you again.
The Stoat Lady.

Trading Platform moan to another member!

Racer said:
Stoat Trader... d4f are renowned for that, so I would not recommend them myself if you want to do any serious trading unless you want to pull your hair out!
Another bad day with deal 4 free. (Not that I lost but it could've been a VERY good trade that was missed due to their platform ). It ran faultlessly for an hour pre-market, and two minutes after open prices started lagging. At one point in time E-Bay was a dollar in front of the quoted price on their platform, so I missed out. A few minutes later the thing lit up like Blackpool Illuminations and flashed like a pinball machine and NORMAL up to date prices were resumed.
This has happened to me on 5 or 6 occasions in the last two weeks and always at the same time of day.
Has anybody else had this problem?
What level do you trade at, which markets and do you have direct access or are you also a spreadbetter. As a novice, I have to begin somewhere and am finding a lot of helpful advice from all you members.
Thank you again,
Sarah