Article Steps Needed to Become a Quant Trader

T2W Bot

Staff member
Dec 19, 2004
Lucrative salaries, hefty bonuses and creativity on the job have resulted in quantitative trading becoming an attractive career option. Quantitative traders, or quants for short, use mathematical models to identify trading opportunities to buy and sell securities. The influx of candidates from academia, software development and engineering have made the field quite competitive. In this article, we’ll look at what quants do and the skills and education needed.
What Do Quantitative Traders Really Do?The word “quant” is derived from quantitative, which essentially means working with numbers. The advancement of computer-aided algorithmic trading and high-frequency trading means there is a huge amount of data to be analyzed. Quants mine and research the available price and quotes data, identify profitable trading opportunities, develop relevant trading strategies and capitalize on opportunities with lightning-fast speed using self-developed computer programs. In essence, a quant...
Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Quantower

May 21, 2018
www.quantower.com
Wanna be Quant? Probably not anymore after reading this

Interesting article about how to be a Quant https://letyourmoneygrow.com/2018/05/13/wanna-be-quant-probably-not-anymore-after-reading-this/

trendie

Thanks for a morning article to start the day.

Thing I learned from this, is that Quants seem to be no better than conventional traders.

Despite having multiple degrees in maths and engineering and programming:
* they still need a "traders temperament"; maths is not enough, they still need to find patterns that are profitable.
* they are taking similar risks to conventional traders. "they can make 10 trades, lose on first eight, and make profit on last 2". I read that in Murphy, Alan Farley, et al. Thats a meme going back to Livermore.
* "comfortable with failure": markets are dynamic, good ideas become unprofitable. All their maths knowledge doesnt protect them from a changing market.

Broadly, it seems the issues normal traders face, the quants face as well. Their maths doesnt save them. its almost like algos are the new "indicators". (Not knocking indicators. I use them all the time.)

Might have been more interesting to know how often quants trade per day, their preferred time-frames, the size of the market move they aim to gain, etc.
How may quants go bust as opposed those that keep going to profitability, etc.

Article was too broad, and superficial.

Gave it a 5.