Static or dynamic IP address?

CUDDLES

Hi folks, sorry to trouble you, but I would love some advice !

My broadband provider is Nildram, who charge me £30 a month (I joined them over a year ago), they now have a cheaper service (£22.99)- now, the only difference really is that the cheaper service has a 'dynamic IP' address, while the one I have at the moment has a 'static IP' address.

On one occasion when I phoned Nildram, they implied that staying with the service I had would be best, as I might get cut off after a while on the cheaper service. They said a 'static IP' address would be better.
When I called them later they said that both services should be fine! I just phoned now, and the gentleman I talked to was obviously not too sure.

So the question is -would I lose anything by having a 'dynamic IP' address instead of a 'static IP address'?

From what I've been reading on the net, I think the answer is no?

I use Tradestation 2000i and Interactive Brokers in conjunction with the brilliant 'Hyperserver' to collect the data. My PC collects data from 08.00 to 21.00.

I've conducted a 'search' on this excellent site and on Elitetrader, the web and could not find the answer I was looking for.

Thanks very much for your help! :p

CUDDLES said:
So the question is -would I lose anything by having a 'dynamic IP' address instead of a 'static IP address'?

AFAIAA a static IP address is needed if you're into on-line gaming and the servers need to 'know' who you 'are' for your personal scores, rank, weapons etc. (I may have over-simplified that, but that's what my son told me).

A dynamic IP address is potentially (almost always actually) different each time you connect. So it can't be used to identify who you are.

I presume you're ADSL so once you're on, you're on with your IP address whatever it is until you next re-boot/reset.

In short, I don't think it makes a lot of difference outside the on-line games arena, but others may know more.

You can host a web page with a static address too.You normally get a block of 5 or 8 ... other wise dynamic is fine- mthat's what most people get, without even being given a choice.

You can host web sites with Dynamic Addresses using some of the free Dynamic DNS Services.

Games sites also do not need static IP Addresses to identify the user...

For the average home user Dynamic is fine. If Static is free then go for it, if not don't bother.

JonnyT

Most people who use a ISP to connect to the internet, are allocated a dynamic address, which is fine for most user's, If its cheaper and there's no noticeable difference in service ( which I expect there won't be) I would recommend dynamic..........good luck

If you VPN to anywhere or if you are likely to Video Conference then keep it static. Otherwise do not see any advantage either way

You can VPN on dynamic if you use a Dynamic DNS Service such as www.no-ip.com I do it without a problem.

The rules are simple for normal home use:

1) Use static if it's free
2) Otherwise use Dynamic

JonnyT

JonnyyT
do yuo happen to know whether dynamic will be a problem to a router and small network?

Dynamic IP is not a problem with a Router and a small network providing the Router can use DHCP for it's outside interface.

I've got a small home network running through an Actiontec Wireless Router, using Dynamic IP and a freebee Dynamic DNS service.

I can securely and swiftly remote control my home PCs from anywhre on the Internet.

JonnyT

Cuddles
Remember that the cheap Nildram offering hsd a monthly data download limit

I didn't realise Nildram had a download limit.

Cuddles , try looking at Eclipse. £34/month 512K 1:20 contention (somewhat less for a 1:50) - no download limit - static IP - web hosting.

Just a thought. I use them and recommend them. Both for service and support.