Starting from home

sigma squawk is brilliant better than etc... if u get a custom build u can often get a lot more processing power and ram for your money...

Thanks for your replies and comments everyone. Great stuff, i havent actually sealed the deal with Global yet, but have looked into other brokers that you guys have mentioned. Infinity and AMP is one that I am looking at. I am currently trading with a prop house and yes it is my own account! This prop house encourages spread trading, but in this current market I would rather trade outright, but they cant help me and i guess its time to cut costs. Found out that my fixed costs would be lower even though comms would be slightly higher. But in the long run i think i will benefit from trying out my own strategies without anyone questioning what I am doing.

I had one more question for you all.... I havent ordered my desktops yet for trading, and this is what I am thinking of getting:

Trading:

One Desktop (looking at HP, something powerful, can anyone recommend anything else?)
2 Screens

Charting/Info

One Desktop (also HP, slightly lower in Spec than the trading...)
1 Screen

Looking at Sigma Squawk and e-signal for the charting

What do you guys think of the proposed set up? Just havin a few difficulties picking a desktop, any recommendations?

Any comments or advise would be helpful, cheers lads...

Nice basic setup there... You are on your way

Something to consider, A Small UPS for when the power goes out and or a backup Laptop (which you may have) to go to the nearest internet Hot Spot in a pinch

Nice basic setup there... You are on your way

Something to consider, A Small UPS for when the power goes out and or a backup Laptop (which you may have) to go to the nearest internet Hot Spot in a pinch

Thanks mate, I have a laptop, but dont have power blackouts where I live, so should be fine. Have a broker I can call if the 5hit does hit the fan, get someone to execute if needs be.

I have a question about e-Signal, I have heard that it doesnt chart up synthetic products, so as I trade Euribor boxes on the side, it may not be able to chart that for me. Anyone know about this? and if this is the case, do you have the same issue with Ninja Trader? Thanks

Thanks mate, I have a laptop, but dont have power blackouts where I live, so should be fine. Have a broker I can call if the 5hit does hit the fan, get someone to execute if needs be.

I have a question about e-Signal, I have heard that it doesnt chart up synthetic products, so as I trade Euribor boxes on the side, it may not be able to chart that for me. Anyone know about this? and if this is the case, do you have the same issue with Ninja Trader? Thanks

As long as your laptop is always plugged in you will be fine as your battery
will hold a charge long enough to get out of your positions.

Maybe you should look at X Trader as that offers what your looking for with
loads of different types of spreads on their matrix.

Ged

I'd recommend a gaming computer for trading, if you are going to be doing scalping. Put nothing else on it.

Anyone who is looking to trade Remotely from home.....

Are you having trouble with high commission costs as volumes are a little low? Need to find a company that doesnt have through the roof commissions. Anyone have any suggestions?

Whilst this is slightly off topic, we have a seat available in our dealing room in Mayfair (Hanover Sq). There are 4 of us and we split the costs evenly. We got together as we found trading from home a bit dull and wanted to get out of the house. If anyone is interested, send me a PM. The rent we pay works out to £75/week per person. (This is not an arcade, it's for self backed traders only)

£75.00 a week for Mayfair sounds quite a bargain Meanreversion though haven't the stomach for a commute anymore.

JP if your thinking about desktops/set ups I would perhaps get in touch with a local PC technician and have a PC built to your spec's and requirements, far better value usually than off the shelf. When I had mine built a big factor apart from performance was noise!!

You dont realise just how loud some white noise is from PC's especially when all fans are blazing in the summer months, if your on your own at home with no office noise covering it up, its for me both irritating and tiresome. You literally sigh ahhh!! when you switch everything off at the end of the day.

I used http://www.quietpc.com/ for a variety of components and it makes a world of difference, some gaming geeks even have water cooled!.

I have another desktop off the shelf which is Lenovo thinkcentre (IBM) More a business PC than a home PC, its again v quiet and reliable, upgraded with more memory and quad graphics card.

For multi monitor set ups , Nvidia NVS quadro graphics cards are pretty decent and efficient.

Hope everything goes well for you.

All the best

Limey

Thanks for all the replies, they have been very helpfull!

I have managed to set up my trading station at home in an office. I am just in the final stages of opening an account with one of two firms: Globalfutures or MF global.

Just finalising a few details but seem to have trouble getting through to some of the employees down at global who dont really understand some of the trading terminologies or spreaded products! I asked them to calculate the margins for my Eurbior Double Box Trades, and instead of calculating them and then sending them to me, they have just managed to send me a table and want me to calculate it myself! argh! random....so they sent me this table, apparently i should be able to figure it out, but actually I cant!

I am attaching a picture of this table, and if anyone could help me figure it out it would be appreciated!!!

If it helps, the double box consists of a 12 month spread against a 6 month spread (Euribor) to the ratio (respectively) 1 by 2!

Thanks

Attachments

• Spread charge.jpg
    Spread charge.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 223
Hi guys,

Last update before I proceed to open my account! So after a long month of trialling and speaking to various brokers and FCMs, I have managed to finally strike a deal!

So I have decided to go with Advantage Futures, which is an American FCM, with very competitive rates for low roundturns per month. The reason for the low volume traded is because of a new trading strategy that I am implementing. So these guys have quoted me so me impressive numbers (in comparison to the others), but the main reason is the trading platform. I asked for something that was cheap and easy to use and they recommended CTS (Cunningham). In the beginning I was skeptical about the software as I hadn't heard much about it. But after recent testing, I have to say I am pretty impressed. The interface is similar to Stellar Trading Systems which I was previously using at prop house.

Anyway, I wanted to know if anyone has heard/used this platform. If not and you are considering changing your set up, I recommend having a test on it.

Good stuff. So, I have made my decision...

Broker/FCM: Advantage Futures
Trading Platform: CTS (cunningham)
Charting: E-signal
News/Info: Tradethenews.com

All this is competitively priced and works very well for a small office/home trading set up.

If you guys want to be pointed in the right direction, pm me by all means. I have spent the last 2 months researching all of the above!!

Hope this helps!

What didn't you like about InteractiveBrokers? The clunkiness of their interface?

I found CTS which is really similar to STS (Stellar trading systems). I mean, i believe this is the best platform out there, albeit expensive. CTS is very similar and perfect as I am looking to cut costs. The platform itself is basic, excel based, simple to use and lightweight. Perfect for now!

Laeeque Ahmad offered my wife fake pay stubs. He created them for him and now we are in trouble. Laeeque says he had no involvement and do not recall doing any such thing. The banks called us in because they found out. What should we do ? We do not know where to complain and lawyers cost a lot of money.

Fake pay stubs can put you in jail. It’s a no no… Maybe next time someone needs to record this dudes activity. Probably a sting operation by the RCMP.

Laeeque Ahmad only deals with a lawyer called Shanthi Devanand
50 Village Centre Place, Suite 300 Mississauga
Ontario L4Z 1V9
Canada
Phone: 905-290-1409?Mobile: ?Fax: 905-290-0594?

Rajul,

This is a trading website. Put your stuff onto property scam websites
instead of clogging this site up with people that dont do their due
dilligence and get ripped of because its partly their own fault.

Ged