Starting a trading business

nanzra9

Hi,
I am looking to set up a fund with a few experienced partners/friends. Can anyone advise on the different steps to set up such a structure? I am particularly interested in the legal aspect of things (registration required or not, type of company etc.).
Thanks

Hi,
I am looking to set up a fund with a few experienced partners/friends. Can anyone advise on the different steps to set up such a structure? I am particularly interested in the legal aspect of things (registration required or not, type of company etc.).
Thanks

Not an expert nor have experience in that, but if you just want to trade, you can well just set up a private company and apply for an institutional account in some brokers.

However, I have heard stories about setting up a trading partnership/company with friends - and ending in disaster.

Not that you can't make money from it, but if you involve money in friendships, and if you can't handle it correctly, you'll end up losing the friends even if you are making money.

Why? Trading, I believe, is a solo sport. You may have a team to help you, but decisions can ONLY be made by one person. It's like the driver in a car, you only need one, it's impossible for two or more people driving together.

People have different expectations. Even for people trading the same method, they may (yes they will) have argument about entries and exits. Not to mention that people have different appitites for risk as well as different trading styles.

However, the problem can be solved - by setting up rules among yourselves and be abide to them. The most important rule, I think, is to let one person do all final decisions, and others cannot interfere. If that "chief trader" fails to do well then you may vote to replace him.

Of course, your friends may be more sophisticated than this and may not have such problems. Anyway, good luck.

Hi there,

Thanks very much for your reply and advices. I was wondering what would be the ideal solution to set up a private company. Is it better to set up a limited company or is it better to set up a limited partnership or limited liability partnership? Do you know the requirements in terms of capital and what is the most appropriate structure to raise fund from investor?
Do you need to be registered with the authorities to be able to trade investors money? If so, is it a good solution to have an agreement with a trading platform who may have such licenses?

As you can see, I am pretty new in this field and I just want to have a different opinion from that of my partners/friends.

Many thanks,
Nanzra

Not an expert nor have experience in that, but if you just want to trade, you can well just set up a private company and apply for an institutional account in some brokers.

However, I have heard stories about setting up a trading partnership/company with friends - and ending in disaster.

Not that you can't make money from it, but if you involve money in friendships, and if you can't handle it correctly, you'll end up losing the friends even if you are making money.

Why? Trading, I believe, is a solo sport. You may have a team to help you, but decisions can ONLY be made by one person. It's like the driver in a car, you only need one, it's impossible for two or more people driving together.

People have different expectations. Even for people trading the same method, they may (yes they will) have argument about entries and exits. Not to mention that people have different appitites for risk as well as different trading styles.

However, the problem can be solved - by setting up rules among yourselves and be abide to them. The most important rule, I think, is to let one person do all final decisions, and others cannot interfere. If that "chief trader" fails to do well then you may vote to replace him.

Of course, your friends may be more sophisticated than this and may not have such problems. Anyway, good luck.

As you can see, I am pretty new in this field and I just want to have a different opinion from that of my partners/friends.

I don't have more experience than you, so I cannot guarantee I may help you. I think a way of doing it is: set-up a limited company, you and your friends hold different amount of shares. Let one person do all final decisions, while others may help gathering data or do other stuff. When profit is made, it is distributed to everyone according to their portion of shares.

This idea is not invented by me, but by a famous Hong Kong trader who had experience trading with friends. He ended up hurting the friends who helped him, even though they made money, because the trader had a risky style that his friends couldn't stomach. So be sure you find friends with similar trading styles.

I don't have more experience than you, so I cannot guarantee I may help you. I think a way of doing it is: set-up a limited company, you and your friends hold different amount of shares. Let one person do all final decisions, while others may help gathering data or do other stuff. When profit is made, it is distributed to everyone according to their portion of shares.

This idea is not invented by me, but by a famous Hong Kong trader who had experience trading with friends. He ended up hurting the friends who helped him, even though they made money, because the trader had a risky style that his friends couldn't stomach. So be sure you find friends with similar trading styles.

yea.. must be quite a drama there. :eek:

even if the trader is very conservative, probably other partners would keep pursuing to bet more on market to make more aggressive profit. at the end, trader would rather stop managing the fund..