Spreadbetting US Stocks

Stargunner

I've been working on a new strategy for equities, and want to know where I can find the tightest spreads for spreadbetting on the S&P500/Dow30 constituents. Currently with CityIndex, but have only really used it for Indices and UK350 stocks, and the odd US stock.

I've been working on a new strategy for equities, and want to know where I can find the tightest spreads for spreadbetting on the S&P500/Dow30 constituents. Currently with CityIndex, but have only really used it for Indices and UK350 stocks, and the odd US stock.

In terms of cost, you might be better going for DMA CFDs. You pay a commission, but it’s transparent and you know they’re not widening the spread and re-quoting you. In my experience, spread betting can work out much more expensive in ‘hidden charges’.

Firms like IG Markets, Accendo Markets and FP Markets do direct market access.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip, I've considered DMA in the past. I might need to up my volumes a bit for some of these though because the minimum commission is quite expensive at $15 on many of the providers.

Prospreads seem to offer good spread betting on equities at 10 basis points extra spread (fixed).

For my volumes DMA would be a hefty premium. I considered moving more funds in from my sharedealing account but it would still be an expensive way to deal, even on longer term trades because of CFD financing costs to consider still.

Now looking at plus500 - Never considered them before because their advertising was tacky, but their welcome bonus and unusually tight spreads on US shares is interesting. Intertrader and CMC are other possibilities, but I don't like the idea of a minimum stake of £1 per point because some US stocks are huge, and holding that would be a lot of volatility.

Last edited: