Best Thread Spreadbetting, the myths and what is the reality?

haha - don't we all.

no, most of them would have started off with anywhere between about 300k and a million i suppose.

Someone starting with 300k and finishing with 1 mil ain't impressive

1 mil and finishing wiht 1 mil... even less so :LOL:

fact is 99% of these people ain't spread betting. That for sure is the facts.

if you say so sir. these aren't guys who went all in one trade and got lucky. i'm talking about long term clients of the industry who pay themselves out of their accounts consistently.

they're doing a lot better than me, so i consider it impressive.

and as it happens the type of guys i'm speaking about would be absolutely mad not to spread bet - namely equities focused position traders. you can work the order book over the phone for entries and exits, access to the rsp (again by phone), cheap leverage, negotiable comms, no stamp, no cgt, etc etc etc.

i can't imagine why they would ever dream of dealing outside the spread betting wrapper.

Dave, are you in the manic stage or depressed at the mo? Have you stopped it with the self harm, just 'using' to get through the day?

300k to one mill is quite impressive, that's more than 3 to 1, I just can't imagine IG paying out 1 mill, its hard to get 1p out of them..

Indeed, example given (anonymously) today by Simon Denham in the capital spreads thread... I recall the punter was Mike Ashley and the stock was HBOS but I can't for the life of me remember who the SB firm were... spreadex maybe but I may be wrong :D

There seems to be a general gist that professional traders wouldn't use a SB company and that DMA is the way to go, I've never tried DMA so I wouldn't know, I joined this site to find out peoples recommendations on it, I actually really enjoy SB and yes I have had all the usual problems but it just makes me more careful with stops and there isn't really much they can do if something keeps going your way but with all the rollover costs, wide spreads etc just curious as to whether trading by DMA would eliminate these? Also would like to know if there are any actual really successful spreadbetters? Has anyone made a million? Just knowing that someone had made it through SB would give me some hope.. ;-)

but really it depends on what type of trading you are doing and how experienced you are.

i think alot of "professionals" say DMA is good because not getting shafted on spreads or slippage is important to their P&L. nothing wrong withthat. But if you are gonna play on a longer term then execution becomes less of your edge and it's the research / trade idea whatever that makes you money. so if thats the case not doing SB with a reputable broker would be barmy cos of the tax and stuff.

but really it depends on what type of trading you are doing and how experienced you are.

i think alot of "professionals" say DMA is good because not getting shafted on spreads or slippage is important to their P&L. nothing wrong withthat. But if you are gonna play on a longer term then execution becomes less of your edge and it's the research / trade idea whatever that makes you money. so if thats the case not doing SB with a reputable broker would be barmy cos of the tax and stuff.

Very mcuh so. I need to start doing properly capitalised spread betting and making monies out of it...

Some trades are super obvious on the ground, they really are!

I can tell you're angry cause you're getting vicious :LOL:

Nope, it's actually pity, you're a total fookin mess. I pop my head in here less and less but each time I can't get away from your drunken, irrelevant trollish ramblings. You need to clean yourself up a bit dude and your act is getting very stale. I know you have a couple of evangelical followers on here, you have a bit of a rep. but tbh you're a whopper. Oh and stop it with the PMs, told you long ago that if you weren't a mod/ connected with the site you'd have gone straight on ignore with the rest of your lightweight pussies..

as a neutral observer he talks a lot more sense drunk than you do sober - as evidenced on this spread betting forum this evening.

Very mcuh so. I need to start doing properly capitalised spread betting and making monies out of it...

Some trades are super obvious on the ground, they really are!
(y)

you know what GREAT idea for sb companies is to allow their customers to make long-short trades and only post the net beta margin. They can probably tweak the beta's (or even make a bid/offer in it) for some extra comms but if they did that I would cum in my pants.

even just with stocks to begin with it would be orgasmic.

Also I have another query, if I do take a mill out of IG will it be their money that I'm taking or will they have traded with me so they won't be down? I know these questions are funny, just would feel better if I knew they weren't losing when I'm winning..

Nope, it's actually pity, you're a total fookin mess. I pop my head in here less and less but each time I can't get away from your drunken, irrelevant trollish ramblings. You need to clean yourself up a bit dude and your act is getting very stale. I know you have a couple of evangelical followers on here, you have a bit of a rep. but tbh you're a whopper. Oh and stop it with the PMs, told you long ago that if you weren't a mod/ connected with the site you'd have gone straight on ignore with the rest of your lightweight pussies..

What PMs?

The last PM I sent you was a couple of weeks ago. It was completely confidential and let you know that I'd noticed a deterioration in your posting competence and a considerable extra nastiness in the way you were treating everyone else (as well as pointing out others had noticed it)

It said maybe you should think about this and that we all go through bad patches. It did not insult you.

You ignored it.

I have no connection with t2w and I'm not sure what you mean by my being a whopper... Are you saying I'm like a big mac, but without the middle bun? I also have no act, and as for cleanliness I can afford running water

(Oh, and I've never self harmed, that was just silly crud by you but I had no intention of arguing with it, as I don't want to upset those who do... I would never use such a thing as an insult)

So... if you genuinely pity me... and I pity you, what does that say? Bear in mind I actually make a living out of this :LOL:

@ MOTU:

if you take a million over 15 years doing £10 per point of e/$ swing trading then the money is coming out of their book - not as a direct loss of course as they see 2 way flow much of the time.

if you take it in a year doing mid cap equities, you will only be able to do so working with them to hedge your trades, and you will have a designated broker you can call to work orders into the market.

most of the big, successful clients are the ones working with the bookie to get the trades into the underlying and then wrapping them up as bets afterwards. it makes so much sense for both sides.

Also I have another query, if I do take a mill out of IG will it be their money that I'm taking or will they have traded with me so they won't be down? I know these questions are funny, just would feel better if I knew they weren't losing when I'm winning..

mate I'm not at all up to speed with the good SB firms from the bad ones, but as a general rule there are two types:l

ones that trade against you (and so are more likely to shaft you /dodgy tricks like bucket shops)

and there are the ones that hedge out their net exposure (may not all of it, but their traders will have limits like anywhere else I spose) that make their money from spreads and volumes (from reputation).

from what i hear IG are the second type so theyre OK.

most of the big, successful clients are the ones working with the bookie to get the trades into the underlying and then wrapping them up as bets afterwards. it makes so much sense for both sides.

Agree. This makes spread betting basically pointless for anything between tiny and moderate gains, alas...

What PMs?

The last PM I sent you was a couple of weeks ago. It was completely confidential and let you know that I'd noticed a deterioration in your posting competence and a considerable extra nastiness in the way you were treating everyone else (as well as pointing out others had noticed it)

It said maybe you should think about this and that we all go through bad patches. It did not insult you.

You ignored it.

I have no connection with t2w and I'm not sure what you mean by my being a whopper... Are you saying I'm like a big mac, but without the middle bun? I also have no act, and as for cleanliness I can afford running water

(Oh, and I've never self harmed, that was just silly crud by you but I had no intention of arguing with it, as I don't want to upset those who do... I would never use such a thing as an insult)

So... if you genuinely pity me... and I pity you, what does that say? Bear in mind I actually make a living out of this :LOL:

Got fook all to do with trading this son, everytime I come on here you make a childish snide remark, each and every time I make a post, how old are you ffs? Grow up Dave, quickly and clean yourself up and get yourself out the gutter. You make "a living out of this"? LOL, listen..to the gang of useless c11nts that pay any atttention to you you may be impressive, but you're no-one in your industry mate...and you and I fookin know it, remind us who your work for? Yep, you've really set the world on fire there son, LOL..

Now grab another tamazie, sit in a darkened room, neck another Stella and have a long hard think were it all went wrong..