Spreadbetting or using a broker?

Johnny Bravo

8 0
Hi!

Don't want to sound daft but when trading stocks or commodities, when should you spreadbet and when should you use a broker?

I know spreadbetting is tax-free, but the spreads seem a little on the large side on thin markets.

Thanks,

J

Trader333

8,601 931
If you are position trading (ie holding overnight or for several days) then using a SB company makes more sense. If you are trading intra-day then in my view you really should use a direct access broker.

Paul

Trader333

8,601 931
You may find a problem in companies with under £50M being listed by SB companies for trading in the first place so I would look into this a bit more.

The advantage of direct access diminshes the longer that you hold the trade which is why if you are holding longer than a day you may as well use a SB company in my view.

Paul

adrianallen99

Established member
630 4
I had a look at trading small companies with a spreadbet firm. Problem is, due to the low volume in those sort of markets it is difficult to get a reasonable quote from a spreadbetting firm. Also for a share that cost something like 8p a share they would only allow me to place my stop at 0.01p a share.

I use to trade a lot of AIM listed stocks and found it far less hassle to just use a broker. I would hold position from 2 hours to about a week. I never made more than 1 trade in a day and sometimes only made 2 trades in a month.

Uncle

Established member
671 2
Unless your trading companies in the FTSE 350 or similiar sized companies in non U K markets forget Spread Betting companies there isnt enough volume for them to make a decent market and therefore you will have problems.

John

Racer

2,666 30
If you are shorting I wouldn't use spreadbetters but prefer CFDs as you will not only get a better price but you will get interest on the trade whilst it is open. But you will have to pay CGT.
I use spreadbetter for longs on large caps if for a long period of time.. e.g. months, as long as the spread isn't too wide. Small caps, very difficult with spreadbetters as already mentioned

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock