Spread trading, Prop firms, brokers

wanderer21

Hi this is my first posting on this site,

I am returning to trading after an absense of about 6 years. I started Spread trading about 7 years ago through a graduate program at a city propshop and I loved it and believed I was good at trading too, I was constantly scolded though for trading outrights instead of staying with the spread but I was eventualy offered a deal at the company. Unfortunately I had a young baby just born and although I believed I could eventualy make decent money, it wasn't paying the bills at the time and I had to go and find paid employment. I have kept my eye on the markets and have traded off and on since this time but nothing serious.

I have since earn't enough money to support myself and go back to something that I was very passionate about try and make this my living. I am sure the environment has changed a lot and I have some questions that I hope someone can help me with -

In retrospect I am not sure if spread trading was a vehicle for the prop shop to make commission's or it was an intellegent trading stratagey, is there still a market in spread trading? I was trading the 2's 5's bobl shatz spread before,has this now been over subscribed or is it still a workable spread to take tiks from?
Are interest rate futures now better to trade outright or is spread trading still considered profitable ?

Previously when I was at the propfirm we were using a Pats trading system and CQG charting program, I will be now trading from home and i need to find a fast execution broker, I have read on these boards that IB seem to be very good for futures are they also good for spread trading? how is IB's trading platform ? or are there are there other better free trading platforms out there?
I imagine that CQG was a high cost charting program is there other quality charting programs where Pairs spread's are able to be created?

I will do my research and read as much as I can on this site and any other of value sites I can find, if anyone has any good references or advice I would like to hear from you.

This post didn't start out to be long winded but I am ready to dedicate the next couple of year to see if I can make this work for myself.

Cheers
Wanderer

Hi this is my first posting on this site,

I am returning to trading after an absense of about 6 years. I started Spread trading about 7 years ago through a graduate program at a city propshop and I loved it and believed I was good at trading too, I was constantly scolded though for trading outrights instead of staying with the spread but I was eventualy offered a deal at the company. Unfortunately I had a young baby just born and although I believed I could eventualy make decent money, it wasn't paying the bills at the time and I had to go and find paid employment. I have kept my eye on the markets and have traded off and on since this time but nothing serious.

I have since earn't enough money to support myself and go back to something that I was very passionate about try and make this my living. I am sure the environment has changed a lot and I have some questions that I hope someone can help me with -

In retrospect I am not sure if spread trading was a vehicle for the prop shop to make commission's or it was an intellegent trading stratagey, is there still a market in spread trading? I was trading the 2's 5's bobl shatz spread before,has this now been over subscribed or is it still a workable spread to take tiks from?
Are interest rate futures now better to trade outright or is spread trading still considered profitable ?

Previously when I was at the propfirm we were using a Pats trading system and CQG charting program, I will be now trading from home and i need to find a fast execution broker, I have read on these boards that IB seem to be very good for futures are they also good for spread trading? how is IB's trading platform ? or are there are there other better free trading platforms out there?
I imagine that CQG was a high cost charting program is there other quality charting programs where Pairs spread's are able to be created?

I will do my research and read as much as I can on this site and any other of value sites I can find, if anyone has any good references or advice I would like to hear from you.

This post didn't start out to be long winded but I am ready to dedicate the next couple of year to see if I can make this work for myself.

Cheers
Wanderer

any one ?? :(

Thanks for the reply, I will check out ibetfinancials, CQG I found really good as a charting program but I have never used there trading platform. They are expensive though and I am going to be trying to keep all my costs down, is there something comparable or should I say sufficient to my needs that isn't as cost prohibitive ?

Cheers

what would I pay on average for a RT with ibf ? do you know if some trading platforms are better than others for Pairs trading ?
I will have a look at Velocity