Spread Betting sites?

jRasco

Hey everyone, I'm new here!

I started spread betting quite recently and I'm getting quite into it. It's mostly going well so far, might get stopped out this weekend on a few trades, but aside from that it's all good. :)

Anyway, I've currently been using Capital Spreads, which I find is a really easy site to use and delivers exactly what I need from spread betting.

What I do find is a limitation is the Max Stake available for most bets. It usually is around 30 but the highest i've seen is around 500.

Are there any other Spread Betting sites out there that offer larger stakes? I've heard IG Index is a good site, and it certainly seems more proffessional in some ways. As far as I can tell Capital Spreads is for small to intermediate traders, so are there larger ones out there? And if so what are they?

Thanks much,

-jRasco.

No disrespect, jRasco, but if you've just started spreadbetting, using larger stakes than offered by CS is asking for trouble unless it's on a low value share. Still, I'd hazard a guess that any SB provider will be happy to take huge bets so long as you have the funds and don't have a track record for making winning trades!

No disrespect, jRasco, but if you've just started spreadbetting, using larger stakes than offered by CS is asking for trouble unless it's on a low value share. Still, I'd hazard a guess that any SB provider will be happy to take huge bets so long as you have the funds and don't have a track record for making winning trades!

aint that the truth. :D

:LOL:

I always say that beginner's luck is the worst luck to have in trading. It encourages you to go big. You think you're a trading god. You think trading comes naturally to you. That you were born for this. And then you give all your savings (and possibly your house) to the company.

You probably think I'm talking **** but I've seen it dozens of times before and I'll see it again.

Last edited:
I always say that beginner's luck is the worst luck to have in trading. It encourages you to go big. You think you're a trading god. You think trading comes naturally to you. That you were born for this. And then you give all your savings (and possibly your house) to the company.

You probably think I'm talking **** but I've seen it dozens of times before and I'll see it again.

You are talking sense and you are bang on the nail.

Don't I know it !!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

I wonder how long it'll be before we get the "CS are a bunch of crooks" rant on T2W.

I wonder how long it'll be before we get the "CS are a bunch of crooks" rant on T2W.

Thought about it, couldn't be bothered as he said he's not interested as they don't let you bet enough so figured there's no point.

Ps. CS are a bunch of crooks. Avoid like knob rot.

Just a point of interest from the crooks angle...can anyone expand on this?

I must admit that although my trading is going well at the moment I am reading a lot of things about spread betting companies that is quite discouraging.

Should I pull my money out while I can, or are there more reliable companies out there?
Or should I just bite the bullet and wait until I can afford to make some real investments?

Thanks for the help,

-jRasco.

Thanks for the info Masquerade, it's much appreciated. Can you do me one last favour and tell me if IG index is as professional and as reliable as everyone else says?

Upon reviewal of the things I've learnt over the last few days I wouldn't dream of making £500 stakes anywhere in the near future, I think i'll take my winning from CS and leave.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Masquerade, it's much appreciated. Can you do me one last favour and tell me if IG index is as professional and as reliable as everyone else says?

Upon reviewal of the things I've learnt over the last few days I wouldn't dream of making £500 stakes anywhere in the near future, I think i'll take my winning from CS and leave.

IG index is as professional and as reliable as everyone else says. :p

They're the only spreadbetting firm I recommend. Their spreads may be a bit bigger than other places and the min stake for some bits is higher than other places. But their execution is the best i've experienced, I got stopped at my stop and I didn't get any funny disconnects or being logged out so no complaints.

IG index is as professional and as reliable as everyone else says. :p

They're the only spreadbetting firm I recommend. Their spreads may be a bit bigger than other places and the min stake for some bits is higher than other places. But their execution is the best i've experienced, I got stopped at my stop and I didn't get any funny disconnects or being logged out so no complaints.
Now that sounds like the kind of company I want to be dealing with. ;)
Thanks for the help!

-

IG have their share of problems as well, as pointed out by some on this forum. Learn risk and money management and you will be fine. In general, there are many on this forum blaming the SB's for all sort of trading failures, when in most cases they are taking way too big a risk with their trading account.

Has anyone used Dealing Desk recently ?

I rather like their platform but they seemed to have rather a lot of site down time.

Anyone know if their problems have been addressed yet ?

IG have their share of problems as well, as pointed out by some on this forum. Learn risk and money management and you will be fine. In general, there are many on this forum blaming the SB's for all sort of trading failures, when in most cases they are taking way too big a risk with their trading account.

You work for CS, right?

IG are the best I've seen...so far.

Which is not to say they are perfect, far from it, but execution is reasonably quick, advanced charts are decent, you almost always get out at your stop (news times may be a little different) and they actually gave me an improved fill when price jumped. That was a one off though, lol, so I wouldn't expect it.

Unfortunately they don't have the squawk-box anymore for news. It was always delayed, so you could never trade from it, but nice to know why price jumped all the same.

As mentioned the spreads can be a bit large 4 pts on Dow when you can get 2-3pts from other places. 8pts on Oil (in hours) going up to 10 pts out of hours, when another spreadbet account I have has a pretty consistent 5-6pts, so pretty poor for IG there. If they could get their spreads down they'd be awesome.

Spreads and execution is a compromise. CS have great spreads on FTSE but shoddy execution. I'd rather be in a good trade and pay that little extra than click and get "bid rejected" messages every time (and i'm not exaggerating, it was that frequent for me.)

Reactions: tar
What's the account minimum for IG spreads? I have not encountered any problems with CS yet from the sounds of it people tend to have problems later on when more money is involved.

What's the account minimum for IG spreads? I have not encountered any problems with CS yet from the sounds of it people tend to have problems later on when more money is involved.
no minimum deposit