spread betting - looking for broker with highest leverage

Garry35

Hi Im Lokking to take my E.A onto a spread betting account via mt4 platform . as im starting out with fairly small capital i need to take advantage of higher margin so require a high amount of leverage .
What brokers offer the highest amount of leverage for a spread betting .
have been using the EA now for a long time without a losing day . i also manage it manually .

Spreadbetting doesn't involve "leverage", Garry.

When you spreadbet, you're not actually buying or selling any underlying security/instrument at all: all you're doing is having a side-bet with a bookie on "which way the price of a referenced security/instrument will move, and how far", and your position-size is therefore defined simply by "how many £'s per pip" the stake is: no "leverage" involved. ;)

AY? Spread betting is massively leveraged. You pay a small % of the total value of the underlying transaction as margin.

The concept of leverage and margin are in practice interconnected since you can use a margin to create leverage.

AY? Spread betting is massively leveraged. You pay a small % of the total value of the underlying transaction as margin.

There is no "underlying transaction", Charlie.

That's the whole point: you're not buying or selling anything, when you put on a spreadbet - you're simply having a "pounds per pip" bet on a price-movement. That's why spreadbets are defined in units of "pounds per pip", and not in terms of lots/minilots, or whatever.

And it's why you can't compare different spreadbet companies according to their "available leverage" (which was what the OP asked!).

If you choose to open a spreadbet position for $10-per-pip (or its GBP equivalent) on the EUR/USD, your position will be equivalent to buying "one lot", but there's no leverage, per se, involved.

Being aware that you and I have both been trading at Cap-Spreads for rather a long time, I'm rather surprised to see what you've said, on this subject, and respectfully I think you're missing the point of the OP's question. He's thinking of it (inappropriately) in leverage terms and wants to know how he can effectively get the most per pip for his stake-unit. His answer is that it makes no difference: he'll get the same mileage everywhere for his "£1 per pip" or "£5 per pip" or £100 per pip" or whatever he wants to stake, because there's no underlying transaction and no leverage. Not only is this simply factual, but it's also what he needs to know, to answer his question: it makes no difference which spreadbet company he uses, if that's his objective. :)

There is no "underlying transaction", Charlie.

That's the whole point: you're not buying or selling anything, when you put on a spreadbet - you're simply having a "pounds per pip" bet on a price-movement. That's why spreadbets are defined in units of "pounds per pip", and not in terms of lots/minilots, or whatever.

And it's why you can't compare different spreadbet companies according to their "available leverage" (which was what the OP asked!).

If you choose to open a spreadbet position for $10-per-pip (or its GBP equivalent) on the EUR/USD, your position will be equivalent to buying "one lot", but there's no leverage, per se, involved.

Being aware that you and I have both been trading at Cap-Spreads for rather a long time, I'm rather surprised to see what you've said, on this subject, and respectfully I think you're missing the point of the OP's question. He's thinking of it (inappropriately) in leverage terms and wants to know how he can effectively get the most per pip for his stake-unit. His answer is that it makes no difference: he'll get the same mileage everywhere for his "£1 per pip" or "£5 per pip" or £100 per pip" or whatever he wants to stake, because there's no underlying transaction and no leverage. Not only is this simply factual, but it's also what he needs to know, to answer his question: it makes no difference which spreadbet company he uses, if that's his objective. :)

Of course it makes difference ...depending on what he trades If capital spreads have an initial margin of 30 per pound and Igindex have a margin of 50 per pound...therefore he gets more leverage with capital which is what he is asking

Can't argue with that. Your response may perhaps be more helpful to the OP than my rather pedantic one was, then: apologies.