spread betting help and advice

I don't really trade much currency anymore - when I did, I liked the Eurodollar.

Essentially, I would develop a more long term idea by understanding the economic indicators which affect the currencies. Major ones which influence the market are interest rates, employment, gdp, trade balance and inflation. In the case of the Eurodollar, keeping up with what Bernanke (Fed) and Trichet (ECB) are doing with their monetary policies is quite important.

Short term, you would use your technicals to trade. I don't use much more than typical support and resistance breaks or bounces. I use the ATR to try and get some insight into the volatility - it's not perfect but nothing in trading is. Using the volatility I know my stop before I enter the trade and also know the position size.

Anyway, if I thought the US was going to constantly lower interest rates because they wanted to boost the economy and the ECB was going to keep rates on hold because they were worried about inflationary pressures (deja-vu anyone?), I would be looking for a support break or resistance bounce so I could execute a short dollar position. My stop would be based on a certain amount times the 20 day average true range depending on how long I wanted to run the position.

I would set targets, once again, based on the volatility of the currency pair and shift the stop accordingly.

I have found in trading that entries are the easiest, stops are difficult if you don't account for volatility and exits are the most difficult. Exits are the worst because I don't believe that the market can be predicted and, therefore, trying to get out correctly can be a case of trying to pin the tail onto the donkey.

Hi Everyone,

I have been spreadbetting since jan of this year and find myself becoming very frustrated. first off, the spread and the minimum deposit required are so high (i use i.g btw)that i find myself ignoring stocks and only betting on currencies. and then for example last night i went long on the GBP/CAD with a 30 point stop only to be stopped out and then for this pair to trade up by 40 points from my initial trade. this an ever increasing scenario now.

Any advice or help would very much be appreciated.

Iceman17

at Futuresbetting.com you get direct market access and instant fill's, you place your stops where you wish.If the market trades at the level of your stop you will be stopped. Futuresbetting dont make you the markets you get actual exchange quotes

Ice, I've just had another thought relating to your 20 day MA system:

You could use the 20 Day MA on the Daily chart as a trade filter - for example, you would only go long if the price was above the 20 MA and short if below the 20 MA.

You would then execute the trade on the 60 min chart when the price crosses above (long) or below (short) the 20 MA, taking into account the Daily chart rules in the paragraph above.

Best

JD

P.S. Let me know if any of this advice is useful or if you want me to go over any other stuff in more detail.

that's an idea, i never had a preferred timeframe before. what's the reason behing these time charts?

Ice, I've just had another thought relating to your 20 day MA system:

You could use the 20 Day MA on the Daily chart as a trade filter - for example, you would only go long if the price was above the 20 MA and short if below the 20 MA.

You would then execute the trade on the 60 min chart when the price crosses above (long) or below (short) the 20 MA, taking into account the Daily chart rules in the paragraph above.

Best

JD

P.S. Let me know if any of this advice is useful or if you want me to go over any other stuff in more detail.

Well, the filter captures a more long term trend and the 60 min chart gives you the actual trade to do should the Price/MA cross occur. The 60 min cross perfromed well for May so I thought it may perform better with a filter in the direction of the main trend. I can't back test two timeframes in one go though, IG isn't powerful enough.

Trade the most liquid pairs like usd/jpy eur/usd and gbp/usd spread 2-3 ticks
Stick with swing trading. Set limits how often you enter each day.
Keep your stake low so you can keep your calm.
I dont think forex brokers are much better than IG spread is still 2-3 pips an tax to pay.
Forex portals are best 0.5/1.5 pips spread. Portals reuters, currenex or interactive broker.
Hope this helps

Regards

Baldur