Spread betting at FXCM

Ouch. However, there are quite a few practical problems in actually implementing it.

And of course, if 95% percent of spreadbetters are losers (or whatever it is), it won't actually net much tax. :)

(Think I might make my last ever tax-free spread-bet on Labour to lose the next election :) ).

not tax person, tax company. 33% transaction tax, but think company pass cost to client, yes?

not tax person, tax company. 33% transaction tax, but think company pass cost to client, yes?

A financial transaction tax is a good idea, but not at 33% (and they should be taxing the IBs and hedge funds with that, not the little guys.

Thanks for your reply Jason. Much appreciated. Really liking the fcxm trading station platform. Is there any way of adding real time volume data (for ftse100)? Thanks again

Hi Fnl2020,

Currently, our Real Volume and Transactions indicators are only available for the 14 most popular currency pairs, but I'll let you know if such data become available for other products that FXCM offer like UK100.

Last edited:
@jason,

I happened upon a statement somewhere on the web (actually from earlier in the year) from FXCM in the US, that they were going to make volume available for Forex.

Do you know if that will also happen in the UK? (or does it now?)

....googling ...

ok, here it is:

http://www.fxcmapps.com/trading-station/real-volumetransactions-indicators/

Hi Montmorencyt2w,

Just to clarify, our real volume indicators are available to our clients worldwide regardless of the FXCM entity they trade through including FXCM UK. I'm glad you found the free download link on FXCMapps.com

Anyone having problems with FXCM spreadbetting when making profit? I want to hear from profitable traders or thereabouts with views. Do not include news trading views as most brokers tend to switch off platforms or price freeze, requotes etc.

I want to hear about generally trading, orders executing on time, and no deletion of profitable trades for spread betting?

'Fastest' Platform for Scalping on FXCM?

This is a question for anyone and not just Jason of FXCM please (but of course I value your opinion Jason!).

I am interested in which of FXCM offered platforms will execute my spreadbetting orders (market or limit) in the fastest possible time which is critical to the success of a scalping strategy.

For example is NT7 superior to MT4?

Or perhaps are they all inferior when compared to their own Trading Station? Perhaps trades made on the other platforms somehow need to be converted in to Trading Station trades by FXCM? I am no expert and what I am suggesting could be hogswash.

I just want to be sure I choose the platform that delivers the fastest execution. Not interested in platform cost/features at this stage.

By the way, I want to trade indices rather then currencies. I realise that trading futures directly is perhaps the most sensible option when it come to scalping but the prospect of tax free profits is an enticing one. Oh and just to define my use of the word 'scalping', I am chasing 2-3 points on the DAX, not trying to scalp the bid/offer :)

Thanks!

Sally

Last edited:

This is a question for anyone and not just Jason of FXCM please (but of course I value your opinion Jason!).

I am interested in which of FXCM offered platforms will execute my spreadbetting orders (market or limit) in the fastest possible time which is critical to the success of a scalping strategy.

Or perhaps are they all inferior when compared to their own Trading Station? Perhaps trades made on the other platforms somehow need to be converted in to Trading Station trades by FXCM? I am no expert and what I am suggesting could be hogswash.

I just want to be sure I choose the platform that delivers the fastest execution. Not interested in platform cost/features at this stage.

By the way, I want to trade indices rather then currencies. I realise that trading futures directly is perhaps the most sensible option when it come to scalping but the prospect of tax free profits is an enticing one. Oh and just to define my use of the word 'scalping', I am chasing 2-3 points on the DAX, not trying to scalp the bid/offer :)

Thanks!

Sally

While you are awaiting Jason's reply, may I ask you if you could kindly report back to us in due course, how you get on scalping there? Thanks!
(Saw your first post, and you seem to have a pretty sensible approach, if I may say so).

Thanks!

Sally

Hi Sally,

There are two factors you can control to optimize your speed.

1. The time it takes you to place an order
Each platform FXCM offers has specific strengths. That's why we give our clients several options. However, Trading Station's one-click trading mode will allow you to place orders faster than other methods, if you're looking to scalp manually. (Let me know if you're looking to automate trades.)

2. The time it takes your order to reach our servers
This time is called latency and can be minimized by using a co-located Virtual Private Server (VPS). Running your platform from inside the VPS would be like sending your orders from a computer right next door to our servers. Using a VPS has the added advantage that your platform can run 24 hours a day, even when your own computer is turned off or disconnected from the internet. While VPS access typically costs $30 per month, it's free to FXCM clients with a balance of at least $5000: http://bit.ly/1kN0WDo

Also, you mentioned that you're looking to focus on indices rather than currencies for tax benefits. I'm no tax expert, so please confirm this with a tax professional, but I believe the benefits of a spread betting account apply whether you trade currencies or indices.

Jason

I have good thinks about NinjaTrader.

I see that FXCM offer this platform.

Is the VPS also available with NT at FXCM?

Thanks

volume for DAX CFD at FXCM

Hi Jason,

I realise that volume for currencies is not a true total volume figure for the currency pair. Unlike futures trading on a centralized exchange.

Are the volume numbers shown on Trading station for the DAX the total for that instrument or is the situation similar to currencies?

Last edited:
Hi Jason,

I realise that volume for currencies is not a true total volume figure for the currency pair. Unlike futures trading on a centralized exchange.

Hi Leemo,

It's important to note that the figures you get from an exchange only account for the volume traded on the exchange itself, and the vast majority of forex trading is done over-the-counter (OTC). While true total volume figures are not available for the currency market anywhere, FXCM's Real Volume and Transactions indicators provide traders with a rare look at retail forex volume.

To give you an idea of the proportion of total retail forex volume that's represented by FXCM's real volume data, below is a table comparing our volume to that of other forex brokers. The numbers shown are in billions of dollars.

bo7Nbgz.png

The stats above are from the Forex Magnates industry report for Q4 2011. I would post something more recent, but that's the last report that's available to non-subscribers. I hope the authors won't mind me revealing that even their latest reports confirm FXCM's lead over the other firms listed above in terms of monthly trading volume.

Are the volume numbers shown on Trading station for the DAX the total for that instrument or is the situation similar to currencies?

Currently our Real Volume and Transactions indicators are only available for the 14 most popular currencies, but I'll let you know if they become available for CFDs like GER30 (DAX) in the future.

@jason:

Apologies if this has come up and been answered before, but:

1. Does the Trading Station platform (Spread Betting) offer tick charts?
2. Can you trade microlots on the Tradestation platform (Spread Betting)?
3. If I open a demo account, will I be bombarded with phone calls...? :)
4. Is both funding of, and withdrawal from a live account both possible to/from a debit card these days? (I seem to remember that it didn't use to be).

Many thanks,

Mike

Last edited:
Hi Jason

Sorry if this question might appear rude, it is not meant to be.

But I see the FXCM spread for DJIA is 4 points.

Compared to the other well known spreadbetting firms (that generally offer a spread of 0.8 to 1.0 point), a 4 point spread seems a bit wide.

Is it correct? I did see it written on a CFD page not a spreadbetting page:

http://www.fxcm.com/uk/markets/cfds/stock-indices/

If it is correct, are there any plans to reduce it?

I realise I am a a VERY tiny player, I was just curious as due to my day job I can only trade in the evening which effectively means the DJIA.

Thanks

Sally

Hi Jason

I am based in the UK.

If I have Technical Support questions, is there an email address to which I can send the questions?

Do FXCM have a UK support desk or do all queries go back to the US?

Either way, please can I have the email address(es).

Thanks

Hi Jason

Sorry if this question might appear rude, it is not meant to be.

But I see the FXCM spread for DJIA is 4 points.

Compared to the other well known spreadbetting firms (that generally offer a spread of 0.8 to 1.0 point), a 4 point spread seems a bit wide.

Is it correct? I did see it written on a CFD page not a spreadbetting page:

http://www.fxcm.com/uk/markets/cfds/stock-indices/

If it is correct, are there any plans to reduce it?

I realise I am a a VERY tiny player, I was just curious as due to my day job I can only trade in the evening which effectively means the DJIA.

Thanks

Sally

FXCM completely put me off with their spreads.

Me and friend are going to open with GFT UK just because of their spreads.