Spread betting at FXCM

Jason, I cannot tell you how helpful you have been by being so open & informative about your firm. Im a bit confused with the above, however, as I didn't see any response from you on the subject.

How do FXCM get away with charging commission on spread bets?

Hi tan5ki,

Thanks for the post and I should have replied to the post earlier to clarify any confusion. What alex2006 referenced was the Active Trader platform. The cost structure on the Active Trader platform is setup differently than on the regular spread bet platform. Here is how each works.

There are no commissions charged on the spread bet accounts. FXCM is compensated through the spread. The best spreads available to FXCM are streamed to you with a small markup, which is generally one pip or less for major currency pairs. As an example, if the best buy price currently being offered on EUR/USD by the banks is 1.4832, the price you see on the platform will be 1.4833 (assuming a one pip mark-up). In this case, FXCM's compensation is incorporated into the spread.

On the Active Trader platform, traders see the spread without the mark-up and pay a commission instead. FXCM's compensation is the commission. The commission is variable based on your monthly trading volume. Since FXCM's revenues increase as trader volume increases, we have designed the platform to reward high volume traders through lower transaction costs. Even At the starting out point on the Active Trader platform, the total transaction cost should be lower than if you were trading on the regular spread bet account.

We can setup spread bet accounts with the same type of active trader setup whereby you pay a commission and the overal transaction cost is decreased. Minimum account size is $25,000 for this setup. Plus there are other perks such as expedited account services, free enrollment in the trading courses and advanced charting with backtesting capabilities.

Let me know if you have any other questions and always happy to help,

-Jason

Hi Jason,

Do you have any news on MT4 for FXCM spread betting accounts?

Hi Jason,

Do you have any news on MT4 for FXCM spread betting accounts?

Hi FXLT,

No new news unfortunately. I haven't heard of any time frame for when it will occur, which means it's still a ways off.

A mobile platform for FX Trading Station II accounts is on the way though. Q1 2010 is the target release.

Jason

Hi FXLT,

No new news unfortunately. I haven't heard of any time frame for when it will occur, which means it's still a ways off.

A mobile platform for FX Trading Station II accounts is on the way though. Q1 2010 is the target release.

Jason

I'll add my voice to the list of MT4 for FXCM SB requests. Seeing the taxation hell we're plunging into in the UK, that would be quite major.
;)

QUOTE=The Artist;1003614]I'll add my voice to the list of MT4 for FXCM SB requests. Seeing the taxation hell we're plunging into in the UK, that would be quite major.
;)[/QUOTE]

Duly noted! (y)

Nice platform.
Will you be implementing OCO orders on it?

Thanks!

OCO orders are currently available on the FX Trading Station II platform. To create an OCO order, goto the top of the platform and click on Trading > Orders > Simple OCO. OR right over the Orders window and choose Simple OCO from the menu.

We will be implementing OCO orders for the Active Trader platform. It's being tested internally at the moment.

-Jason

Thanks!

OCO orders are currently available on the FX Trading Station II platform. To create an OCO order, goto the top of the platform and click on Trading > Orders > Simple OCO. OR right over the Orders window and choose Simple OCO from the menu.

We will be implementing OCO orders for the Active Trader platform. It's being tested internally at the moment.

-Jason

Ah I see - found it thanks. I was looking on the chart and creating an order from there - OCO isn't there at the moment as far as I can see. Thanks anyway, that's a great help(y)

my early impressions and 10p worth...
earlier this week i just signed up for a demo account with the guys on which this thread is based

took a couple of hours to get the feel but "appears" to be a decent front end and not your norm two bob interfaces you se on most SB firms..(cheap and cheerful..just give them something they can enter their cash into the market on so we can screw them type thing)

the perfect scenario would of course be metatrader - hopefully thats doable..

the features i lke on the platform are the detachable windows paricularly the price execution window that can sit anywhere on your screen overlaying you chart window on whatever s/w you use.

so far i have studied the spreads for a day or so and although i was not executing trades constantly, of what i saw through the asian markets and through the london/us, GU for instance "appeared" to remain in tact around the 3 spread mark touching 4 on occasions .

instant execution appeared pretty sharp and the stop loss function allows the stop nearer than most SB co's i have seen both pre order and when modifying the order.one i care to mention CS i noticed only allows you to place an entry order around 7+ pips of price either way on GU. with this platform it "appears" like its 3 pips

if we are to believe jason and from his posts i would holpe that we can, then it will make nice change to see a reliable SB provider that will execute your trades on time without fearing that they are playing against you (hoping you lose and doing all they can to stop you out -its hard enough agaisnt the market on its own) and fingering your hard earned with their grubby mits.

1 thing though i sent an email with some questions that appear to have bee answered earlier in this thread but i have received no cutomer service reply as yet.. bit slack there..(they were basically will the demo account mirror the live accout interface wise and also with the spreads and execution facilities etc)

still playing around with it but seems ok on first looks.. i only hope here are no slippage or spread issues down the line and that these guys keep to their word re requotes and execution etc.. wouldnt it be nice to truly have a spread betting company that make their moeny via up front methods such as commission on pips or whatever and allowing the trader to then just worry about the market and not whether the platform providers' looking to make their dough by knicking yours with false stops.. is it too much to ask???? evryone makes a buck and everyone's happy..sounds ideal

all i want perosnally is the same functionaility as a broker front end but with spread betting as it suits us uk residents better..via metatrader would be perfect!!!

maybe like futuresbetting this "appears" to be a step in the right direction on that note with SB.. lets hope the info in this thread rings true and its a change for the better in this field..then again maybe i'm being naive?!!

time will tell

over to you jason...:)

Last edited:
I liked a lot of things about the look of FXCM, but a couple of things put me off:

-Even though I was (Apparently) dealing with the London office, it seemed that you were still setting up an account with a US entity. That made me uneasy ... different regulatory environment, business practices, etc

-The method of getting money in to your account seemed clumsy, and getting it out seemed also clumsy and expensive. No debit card payment or refund like every other SB company I have ever dealt with. I didn't really understand (or accept) the explanation given for this.

-When I went looking for online reviews there were a few horror stories; more than a few actually. I seem to remember being told somewhere "oh no, that's not this FXCM, that's some other company...", or something like that (and these stories were all from the USA I think). hmm...well, didn't really fancy taking the chance, especially with the other things mentioned.

Pity, it's very tempting in other respects.

If and when they decide to take debit cards, and provide debit card refunds, I may reconsider. I don't mind paying a reasonable fee, but limits on the number of withdrawals per month or whatever I would find totally unacceptable.

montmorencyt2w

thanks for that - funding and withdrawal limits or costs is not a side of things i have looked at yet,

but i would like to think that someone in the SB environment can just do it properly & professionally for once and to cutomers satisfaction, while still earning themselves somehow without the bumbling around for a quick buck and using underhand tactics in some cases..

i shall utlize my demo and see where we go..

jason - maybe you could you respond to the most recent posts?

also can you explain this scenario of xferring the currency you are trading in to the alternate currency and then back again if in profit..why is this and what does it mean to the man in the street?

thanks

cb

montmorencyt2w

thanks for that - funding and withdrawal limits or costs is not a side of things i have looked at yet,

Well, to be fair, I was only looking at the micro account, and things may be different for the non-micro account(s).

Go into it with an open mind, and ask around; don't be too influenced my this sample of one :) I know there are one or two people here who seem to have positive experiences.
Maybe they will chip in, if they have not already.

but i would like to think that someone in the SB environment can just do it properly & professionally for once and to cutomers satisfaction, while still earning themselves somehow without the bumbling around for a quick buck and using underhand tactics in some cases..

i shall utlize my demo and see where we go..

jason - maybe you could you respond to the most recent posts?

also can you explain this scenario of xferring the currency you are trading in to the alternate currency and then back again if in profit..why is this and what does it mean to the man in the street?

thanks

cb

You are no doubt aware, that normally, demos do not suffer the kind of delays experienced on real platforms. I don't know 100% if this also applies to FXCM, but just bear it in mind.

Well, to be fair, I was only looking at the micro account, and things may be different for the non-micro account(s).

Go into it with an open mind, and ask around; don't be too influenced my this sample of one :) I know there are one or two people here who seem to have positive experiences.
Maybe they will chip in, if they have not already.

You are no doubt aware, that normally, demos do not suffer the kind of delays experienced on real platforms. I don't know 100% if this also applies to FXCM, but just bear it in mind.

That's exactly the question I was about to ask. I''m playing around with the demo at the moment and I was wondering how realistic it is - are the order fills you get on demo indicative of a live account or are they like other SB companies where everything appears great on demo but the reality is quite different?

instant execution appeared pretty sharp and the stop loss function allows the stop nearer than most SB co's i have seen both pre order and when modifying the order.one i care to mention CS i noticed only allows you to place an entry order around 7+ pips of price either way on GU. with this platform it "appears" like its 3 pips

if we are to believe jason and from his posts i would holpe that we can, then it will make nice change to see a reliable SB provider that will execute your trades on time without fearing that they are playing against you (hoping you lose and doing all they can to stop you out -its hard enough agaisnt the market on its own) and fingering your hard earned with their grubby mits.

1 thing though i sent an email with some questions that appear to have bee answered earlier in this thread but i have received no cutomer service reply as yet.. bit slack there..(they were basically will the demo account mirror the live accout interface wise and also with the spreads and execution facilities etc)

still playing around with it but seems ok on first looks.. i only hope here are no slippage or spread issues down the line and that these guys keep to their word re requotes and execution etc.. wouldnt it be nice to truly have a spread betting company that make their moeny via up front methods such as commission on pips or whatever and allowing the trader to then just worry about the market and not whether the platform providers' looking to make their dough by knicking yours with false stops.. is it too much to ask???? evryone makes a buck and everyone's happy..sounds ideal

all i want perosnally is the same functionaility as a broker front end but with spread betting as it suits us uk residents better..via metatrader would be perfect!!!

over to you jason...:)

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for the detailed feedback and letting us know about your likes/dislikes.

You mentioned being able to set a stop loss as close to the market price as you want. The reason for this is because the account uses no dealing desk execution (or direct market access). Restrictions on where you can place an order usually occurs when you trade against a market maker. The restriction gives the dealer time to work the order to hedge in the position. Since the orders are executed immediately with a bank, we don't have to worry about the risk and enact restrictions.

Keep in mind that while there are no re-quotes, slippage is possible depending on how you submit your market orders. If the market order is sent through as an At Best market order, it will fill you at the best price available. This means the order will always execute, but there could be slippage. The other option is to choose Market Range for the market order, and you can limit the amount of slippage you're willing to accept on the trade. These two options (Market Range and At Best) are located at the bottom of the market order window in the "Order Type" menu.

On the MetaTrader 4 front, I'll continue letting management know there's interest in getting it setup for spread betting accounts.

Cheers,

Jason

I liked a lot of things about the look of FXCM, but a couple of things put me off:

-Even though I was (Apparently) dealing with the London office, it seemed that you were still setting up an account with a US entity. That made me uneasy ... different regulatory environment, business practices, etc

-The method of getting money in to your account seemed clumsy, and getting it out seemed also clumsy and expensive. No debit card payment or refund like every other SB company I have ever dealt with. I didn't really understand (or accept) the explanation given for this.

-When I went looking for online reviews there were a few horror stories; more than a few actually. I seem to remember being told somewhere "oh no, that's not this FXCM, that's some other company...", or something like that (and these stories were all from the USA I think). hmm...well, didn't really fancy taking the chance, especially with the other things mentioned.

Pity, it's very tempting in other respects.

If and when they decide to take debit cards, and provide debit card refunds, I may reconsider. I don't mind paying a reasonable fee, but limits on the number of withdrawals per month or whatever I would find totally unacceptable.

Hi Mike,

Accounts with FXCM UK are regulated with the FSA so it's a local regulatory environment.

For depositing and withdrawing funds into the standard 10k account, credit card and debit card is available available. It's listed on the website here . That's in addition to bank wire and paper cheque. And if you fund by debit card or credit card, we can send it directly back to your card as well. For the micro accounts, debit card and credit card is the only option available. There's no limit on the number of withdrawals you can make per month.

While mistakes can occur, we will do everything in our power to correct any problems. We have an audit team that reviews trade disputes and customer support is available 24/7 to help. Regulatory oversight also means there is a final outlet for dispute resolution.

The demo uses the same price feed as the live account and has the same functionality. One thing it cannot replicate is slippage since the orders are not executed against actual liquidity being made available by the banks.

Cheers,

Jason

thanks jason for responding...

could you tell me why the currency you are playing with is converted and then converted back again?

also for those who are interested there are some reviews here - http://forextopten.com/fxcm/

some good, some bad but the one with regards to slippage and delayed orders, particularly the coments made by Ahmad & FX Trader half way down the page.

jason could you poss address if any changes been made recently since these posts to address slippage and delays? becasue if true, Ahmad's experience is particularly worrying.

i have come across a variety of reviews available here also
http://www.forexrealm.com/brokers-reviews/#FXCM

ooer there seems to be a lot of either foolish or truthfully unhappy people amongst a few happy people in the forexrealm link.

jason can you offer any comments re "random pip spread adjustments" and "margin calls versus stop loss hunting"?? if those posts on that link are half true it seems to happen with some regularity.

i would be one of those who would be looking to lock in the profit taking of between 10 - 60 pips on moves intraday so i would appreciate some confirmation on these comments if poss..

cheers

cb

Last edited:
mt4 in a spreadbet account would prob get you the majority of the uk fx trading community on board.

would be cool Vaco.. expecially if we could fully trust the broker beyond reproach that's feedng the data

trusting the broker would be a simple act of comparing to another mt4 account.

thanks jason for responding...

could you tell me why the currency you are playing with is converted and then converted back again?

also for those who are interested there are some reviews here - http://forextopten.com/fxcm/

some good, some bad but the one with regards to slippage and delayed orders, particularly the coments made by Ahmad & FX Trader half way down the page.

jason could you poss address if any changes been made recently since these posts to address slippage and delays? becasue if true, Ahmad's experience is particularly worrying.

i have come across a variety of reviews available here also
http://www.forexrealm.com/brokers-reviews/#FXCM

ooer there seems to be a lot of either foolish or truthfully unhappy people amongst a few happy people in the forexrealm link.

jason can you offer any comments re "random pip spread adjustments" and "margin calls versus stop loss hunting"?? if those posts on that link are half true it seems to happen with some regularity.

i would be one of those who would be looking to lock in the profit taking of between 10 - 60 pips on moves intraday so i would appreciate some confirmation on these comments if poss..

cheers

cb

Hi cb,

I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean by your first question about the currency you are trading with being converted and then converted again. Are you referring to the currency your account is denominated in and funding the account with the same currency?

Would be happy to give a response to some of the reviews you mentioned.

In regards to Ahmad's review of FXCM. Slippage can occur while trading with FXCM, and the concept of slippage is not unique to the forex market as it happens in the equities and futures market as well. We cannot guarantee there will be no slippage because FXCM isn't making the market. There is a limited amount of liquidity available at each price depending on what each of the 10 banks quoting are offering, and once liquidity at once price is wiped out, the order is filled at the next best price.

FXCM does not intentionally delay the execution of an order neither would it make sense to do so because we don't profiting when a trade is slipped. Whether you are filled at the price you clicked on or your order is filled 30 pips from the price you clicked on, the same amount is payed to FXCM. The prices you see quoted on the platform are marked-up from the price quoted to FXCM by the bank. Like a commission. For example, if you see the current buy price on GBP/USD is 1.6405, then the price being quoted by the bank may be 1.6404 and there's a 1 pip mark-up on the price. If your try to hit that buy price, but the order is slipped to 1.6401 (the price you see the order executed at), that indicates the next available buy price being quoted by the bank was at 1.6400 and 1 pip was added onto that price to e filled at 1.6401. So the slippage does not have an impact on FXCM's bottom line.

Trading during news is VERY risky and the chances of an order being slipped can increase. In normal market conditions you may see prices moving a pip at a time. During news events the market may move 2, 5, 10 pips between prices. The reason prices are moving erratically is because 1) banks are offering less liquidity due to their own risk management and 2) that liquidity is being eaten up very quickly by the orders trying to execute. These execution risks are outlined on our website http://www.fxcm.co.uk/trading-execution-risks.jsp (I hope moderator doesn't mind me posting to this execution info ).

For the comment in the review saying that FXCM modified the stop price...We are required by regulations to keep detailed records for every order placed on the system. The records keep track of when the order was created, every time the order has been modified, and even the IP address used to modify the order. Every activity performed on a trade whether by the trader or by FXCM is recorded in the database so that we can go back in these situations and review the trade. Even if an order was created, modified, and later deleted by the trader without having been executed, we still keep track of all of this information. This allows FXCM, the trader, and our regulators to review any disputes to find out exactly what happened.

On the topic of stop loss hunting. If stop hunting were to occur, it would most likely happen through a market maker because the traders losses could be the brokers profit since they can take the other side of the position. In that case, locking in the traders loss locks in the brokers profit. How often this happens is debatable in my opinion. If you compare multiple brokers pricing against each other, they follow each other closely nearly all the time. A pip or two difference is the biggest difference you should see except around a news announcement when it can really vary. For FXCM, will the banks on NDD stop hunt? All orders are held on FXCM's servers so the banks cannot see where the stops are located. There are also 10 banks quoting which minimizes the chances of a bank being able to manipulate where the market pricing.

For online reviews in general, the reliability of them are somewhat questionable due to the anonymity of reviews. You don't have to register to post a review on either of those sites. But that's not to say that everything is false.

I reach out to many traders on the forums and other outlets such as twitter that have problems with trades. In many cases there's a lack of understanding how the market works and the execution risks involved. Good case in point is trading during news events. It's extremely risky. In the cases where a loss is caused due to an issue on our side, our audit team is very understanding in reviewing trades that resulted in a loss due to a problem on our side. Our system's are not perfect, but we'll try our best to correct things. We have also setup a website called fxstatus.com which we update any time there is a technical issue. The website updates every 30 seconds with the latest information.

I hope that helps (kind of a long post :) ).

Jason