? Spread Bet with NinjaTrader ?

Ross Spur

SLM has managed to make MT4 work, so would it be feasible to hook NinjaTrader up as a spread bet platform? Presumably the answer is no, because you'd think it would instantly attract lots of clients, and someone would have done it by now.

:?:

SLM has managed to make MT4 work, so would it be feasible to hook NinjaTrader up as a spread bet platform? Presumably the answer is no, because you'd think it would instantly attract lots of clients, and someone would have done it by now.

gftuk.com now has MT4 http://www.gftuk.com/Trading-Software/MT4/Default.aspx.NinjaTrader
for GFT was In Beta (Maybe for forex only?) http://www.ninjatrader.com/ConnectionGuides/GFT-Connection-Guide.php. I have not try this as I'm still using Ninjatrader 6.5, I think it will only work for Ninjatrader 7.0.

Last edited:
gftuk.com now has MT4 http://www.gftuk.com/Trading-Software/MT4/Default.aspx.NinjaTrader
for GFT was In Beta (Maybe for forex only?) http://www.ninjatrader.com/ConnectionGuides/GFT-Connection-Guide.php. I have not try this as I'm still using Ninjatrader 6.5, I think it will only work for Ninjatrader 7.0.

Yes, but GFT's UK site doesn't make it clear whether MT4 is for SB, and no mention of Ninja that I could find. It wouldn't really matter which version -- they're all better than most SB platforms.

If using Ninja would increase the likelyhood of the client making more money, you can sure that will be reason enough for the bookie spread betting cowboy outfits not to introduce it.

What puts me off ninja trader is that one is forced to use an American outfit like IB. They require a large deposit and each trade is for more than I care to risk in 1 trade.

What puts me off ninja trader is that one is forced to use an American outfit like IB. They require a large deposit and each trade is for more than I care to risk in 1 trade.

IB at least has a UK presence. There are plenty of other US brokers that have low day trading margins and commissions, plus a free basic version of Ninja.

correction: SLM has barely got MT4 to work and its taken a very long time for it to be stable.

Also retail spread betting firms aren't exchanges or ECNs - how would you expect ninja or similar software to work, what would you expect to see in the DOM?

You could always try something like pro spreads - sort of a pseudo DMA platform as far as I'm aware.

IB at least has a UK presence. There are plenty of other US brokers that have low day trading margins and commissions, plus a free basic version of Ninja.

I think IB data is incomplete... something like one in three ticks missing.

Also retail spread betting firms aren't exchanges or ECNs - how would you expect ninja or similar software to work, what would you expect to see in the DOM?

The platform does not care where the data is coming from. The SB feeds what ever data they want to deliver to what ever platform is in use at the time. Data is data. In their case the spread would be wide, that's all.

The platform does not care where the data is coming from. The SB feeds what ever data they want to deliver to what ever platform is in use at the time. Data is data. In their case the spread would be wide, that's all.

you're missing the point - there is no order book data to feed... just a bid/offer with no size associated... and the order may or may not even get filled at those prices.... you can't place an order in the book you're forced to cross the spread and accept that price or worse.. - the DOM is therefore redundant/pointelss

also bear in mind you're not trading standardised contracts... you're trading whatever size you want... a retail spread bet is an OTC product...

I don't use depth of market data... i think that data is gamed now anyway... just a distraction from actual buy/sell price action.
I'm not looking for any more data than what is already delivered to their existing trading UI.

the data doesn't exist in the first place in this instance - you're just trading against a bookie - what would you need ninja trader for?

Last edited:
the data doesn't exist in the first place in this instance - you're just trading against a bookie - what would you need ninja trader for?

Because it's so good for trading short TFs direct from a chart.

can you not trade from the chart with one of these bucket shops/spread betting firms?

surely you'd be better off trying to get the specific features you want from them than asking for an incompatible software package to be made available - a retail SB firm is likely to be reluctant to supply an API to begin with anyway - putting aside the fact you're not dealing with an actual order book in the first place or standardised contracts...

No I just don't think you guys really understand what you're asking for and why its unlikely to be provided...

If you want a particular set of features from a bucket shop you're likely only going to get them by them including them with their own software, for fairly obvious reasons.

@DT: you seem convinced but sorry I just can't follow your logic so far. What data exactly are you thinking would be missing?

everything really - you want to use a product commonly used by retail traders to trade exchange traded futures to work with a non standardised OTC product offered by a bookie - there is no market just a two way quote provided by a single counterparty that may or may not vary for an individual client.

whether ninja adapts its software to allow say some *******ised version to be offered to SB punters is another matter but at the moment you'd require an API feeding market data that doesn't exist as the 'market' you're trading is simply a two way quote from a bookie.