Sport of Kings

ddunne82

Hi,

THough this may seem like a rather odd post, bear with me. What is a good way to understand the ins and outs of horse racing betting? Are there any books/good websites you experienced punters out there can recommend to get me started?

Thanks

David

Hi David, I honestly think that getting yourself immersed in the Racing Post every day is at least as good a way as anything else. At first, you'll understand very little of it, but it's only really an acclimatisation exercise, and the more you read it the more you'll understand it. It will also help you to judge for yourself which direction to take next, rather than relying on others' recommendations which might not really be right for you. Having said that, a few book recommendations (all widely available, inexpensive and useful):

Alan Potts: "Against The Crowd"
Alan Potts: "The Inside Track - The Professional Approach"
Nick Mordin: "Winning Without Thinking"
Nick Mordin: "Betting For A Living"

Many years ago, in casual discussion with John Mc Ardle the Australian International Thoroughbred Agent, whom I ventured to ask about betting on horses, replied that if a horse on the day of the race does not want to run and give of its best there is nothing that the jockey or trainer or anyone else can do to make it do what it inexplicably does not want to, for whatever reason. This put me off horse betting for life.
Kind Regards.