spiked?

bently

Can anyone tell me if EUR/USD reached 1.3410 at around 9.30 am GMT yesterday. ( 18th march ). I placed a sell at 7am at 1.3370 with a stop at 1.3410 and a limit at 1.3290, then went off to work. Got home to see that I'd been stopped out at the above but could not see it on the chart, and therefore missing out on my limit order kicking in. I'm going to look for some detailed charts now, but if anyone can tell me it might put my mind at rest, as it spoiled a good week on the demo... thanks..

For me, both CMS Forex and OandA demo show a peak of 1.3367 (bid) at 7am, with all subsequent prices lower and no peak anywhere near 1.3410. By those figures you wouldn't even have got into the market. The 09:30 candlestick is in the 1.3310-20 range.

Who provides your demo ?

Bad Tick?

Must've been a bad tick Bently - presumably that doesn't happen on their live system! There wasn't any significant announcements @ 0930 either. Your trade was a clean-as-a-whistle 80 pip winner. Keep it up!

c6ackp said:
Must've been a bad tick Bently - presumably that doesn't happen on their live system! There wasn't any significant announcements @ 0930 either. Your trade was a clean-as-a-whistle 80 pip winner. Keep it up!

I'll let you know how i get on with them. e mailed their customer services yesterday but I'm not sure how I'll get on as it's only a demo . It's just naffed me off as it would have been a 100% winning week. First ever, maybe the last, but if i can but back some of the losses I've made since opening the demo i might just test the water...

GammaJammer said:
Bently - did you get any joy on this?

For what it's worth now, I make the range for that particular hour as 1.3309 / 1.3322. This is taken from a professional chart. Your price spike is completely bogus.

Incidentally, one good way of checking sometimes is to look at related currency pairs. In this case if you look at, say cable and EUR/GBP and triangulate that way, you could probably see if there was a problem or not. You could also consider USD/CHF and EUR/CHF or even USD/JPY and EUR/JPY. Don't know with those though whether the price engine that feeds your charts would take the two dollar rates to make a synthetic Euro cross (i.e. take USD/CHF and EUR/USD and multiply the to give EUR/CHF). If it works that way, any spike in one instrument would of course cause a spike in the cross. But with the sterling rates I would bet they're all taken as real price feeds for most charting systems, so you could instantly tell if a spike is real or not.

Hope that helps

Hi GJ,
recieved an appologetic e mail from their customer services saying that they are looking into the reasons why this happened, and thanking me for bringing this to their attention, as they agree I shouldn't have been stopped out. No sign of my missing 80 pips though, which I can understand as I assume that demos are fully automated and adding funds is not an option. They assured me that this wouldn't happen on the live account as positions are filled by their own staff and not 'robo dealer'. I'll just build in the 80 pips on paper.