Software to write strategies for Level 2

gggooo

Hi,

i am from germay and my english is not so good. I searched the level2 forum but did not found a hint.

I am looking for a software to write strategies for Level 2 (means with data from level 2), would be nice it can connect to the IB-API.
But the possibility for IB-API is not condition. Is someone knowing a software like this?

Thank!

PS I prefer trading on Eurex futures

You need a broker that offers an API to access level II.

You have very little choice.

IB is the biggest broker in the States, cheap to trade with and its API is free.

I doubt that you can get the same package for anywhere near the cost.

JonnyT

JonnyT said:
You need a broker that offers an API to access level II.
You have very little choice.
IB is the biggest broker in the States, cheap to trade with and its API is free.
I doubt that you can get the same package for anywhere near the cost.

Thanks for the answer, BUT this was NOT my question!!!
I am NOT looking for a broker!

I am searching for a SOFTWARE wich can process Level 2 data. That means I want to program strategies with the information i receive from level 2. Anyone who knows a software can do this?

Thanks

gggooo,
the kind answers you are given above make you very angry.
I find this very interesting, because it is not normal behaviour to be so
angry and to shout when someone is trying to help you. Why are you so
angry ? Why are you shouting ? What is it you are so angry about ?
Why don't you explain more clearly what it is you want to do ?
Is it that you want to write a program and add your own indicators,
or is it you want to add your own indicators to an existing program?
Why do you need a program anyway?
Please explain more clearly what it is you are trying to do,
because it may already have been done, or it may not be
possible to do. Poor JonnyT is only trying to help you.,
not to treat you badly at all.

Last edited:
I do not see gggooo's replies as being very angry if his/her's 'english is not so good'

A note.. do not use capitals unless you are really angry..

:)

Racer said:
I do not see gggooo's replies as being very angry if his/her's 'english is not so good'

A note.. do not use capitals unless you are really angry..

:)
Yes, Racer but he does not make himself clear as to what he is trying to achieve and to what
purpose, and when he his offered sincere help by poor JonnyT he gets this response that
would only dishearten anyone from taking this any further.
I am interested to know when something is obvious why it needs to be engineered any
further. When something is presented to an audience as a catalogue of facts why is it
that this needs to be further catalogued. That is what interests me, the mental processes
that drive such questions should be asked about what is patently obvious, you see ?

"I am looking for a software to write strategies for Level 2 (means with data from level 2), would be nice it can connect to the IB-API."

I do not see that as an obscure request?

SOCRATES said:
Why don't you explain more clearly what it is you want to do ?
Is it that you want to write a program and add your own indicators,
or is it you want to add your own indicators to an existing program?
Why do you need a program anyway?
Please explain more clearly what it is you are trying to do,
because it may already have been done, or it may not be
possible to do.
Yes, I want to try to explain more clearly.
1. I have the idea, to take the numbers shown in level2 to generate orders.
2. Simple example: on the first ASK-Price the number of contracts in the level 2 are getting smaller, so if the number is smaller than 100 i want to buy. The same on BID (the other way round).
3. I want to write a rule to close the order for example, if the second ASK is not become the first ASK... and so on.
3. It is like you sad: "want to add my own "indicators"/ rules to an existing program?"

P.S. I do not understand realy, that you feel that my posting to JonnyT was angry. But I will think about it.
One is, I wanted to make my question understandable, but you are right, if I think about it, it was not a distinguished way.
So, I will be glad if you can help me... and please remember I am from germany, english is not my motherlanguage.
Nice weekend...

Hi,
I saw now your discussion between SOCRATES and Racer, if i add my last posting to the forum.
I am glad that an onther person is looking "different" to my questions, but I also understand more SOCRATES if I think about it.

So, please can we come to the question of this thread. I will be very happy if we can discuss this things about level 2. And this would nice ( i think so) for the forum and others who are searching also for level 2 things if they can read level 2 discussions, and not dialogs about ( I dont know how to call it, but you know what I mean, i hope so).

Thanks
P.S. I have many other questions, and very "thirst for action" to do level 2 things.

gggooo said:
Yes, I want to try to explain more clearly.
1. I have the idea, to take the numbers shown in level2 to generate orders.
2. Simple example: on the first ASK-Price the number of contracts in the level 2 are getting smaller, so if the number is smaller than 100 i want to buy. The same on BID (the other way round).
3. I want to write a rule to close the order for example, if the second ASK is not become the first ASK... and so on.
3. It is like you sad: "want to add my own "indicators"/ rules to an existing program?"

P.S. I do not understand realy, that you feel that my posting to JonnyT was angry. But I will think about it.
One is, I wanted to make my question understandable, but you are right, if I think about it, it was not a distinguished way.
So, I will be glad if you can help me... and please remember I am from germany, english is not my motherlanguage.
Nice weekend...
Ok, you see, now we know what gggooo is trying to achieve.
When something is explained in a propermanner, in a professional context,
it becomes clearer as to what the objective is.
I find all this very interesting because a lot of traders have problems
converting to reality what is intangibe. I do not have any problems with
visual mathematics but a lot of people do. Often the solution does not
exist with writing programs etc., but by training the mind to do it.
The human mind is the most sophisticated of all adding machines
computers and what have you, and is able to carry out very complicated and
complex multitasking as well if it is trained peoperly to do so.
But it is hard work at first and most people are reluctant to embark on
such a journey. They view it as unnecessary, until they experience the
results. Now everything changes, suddenly the skeptics become the
converts. What is annoying is that they don't want the graft, they just
want the benefits immediately, without effort.
This is in large part what drives people to do unnecessary excercises.
This drives them to work extremely hard in order not to work at all.
In many of these matters there are no short cuts, you have to do the
thinking in order to achieve.That is all.

Hey Socrates c'mon now...you are the one who isn't playing fair now

gggooo
A comment for UK trading level 2:
I trade UK CFDs with Level 2 access. UK had now changed SETS and SETSmm to have icebergs (tip of big orders waiting to be filled)and other things so it can be difficult to rread UK L2

What exactly do you mean, that I am not playing fair. I promise you the majority of people do not want
to engage brain. They want some software to do it for them. Of course to have software to do jobs
for you is a luxury. But what has happened with the proliferation of software is that the great majority
rely blindly on off the peg solutions already provided by others who have worked it out. There is nothing
wrong with this. However there are some of us who get great delight from working it out in our heads
by directing a Mark 1 eyeball in the right direction and applying logical deduction and reasoning to arrive
at conclusions., then acting seamlessly upon them. The great majority are either unwilling or unable to do this. That is what I am saying, and in addition all sorts of wheezes are attempted with a lot of work put in which is unnecessary and energy wasteful, when the answers are patently obvious to those of us who persist in pushing the envelope. I agree it is not for everyone, but it is patently obvious when you make the effort to work it out . that is all. Its horses for courses.

Socrates

And the long winded approach later....

You miss the point completely...

To give a reply to someone who says in their request for help, that english isn't the main language... you give a most floury and extremely difficult to read reply is incredible and persist in it and complain that they aren't not behaving properly by adding more and more long dictionary words so they cannot understand is, well I think, that you are the one who isn't engaging brain

Racer you are right, this is what I mean, you can not read the level 2 with human eyes, (If I am talking about my experience I talk about eurex level 2).
I red in trading-newspaper, that old scalpers are more and more unhappy because the orderbooks are changing. And why are they changed, because software ist manipulating the orderbooks, and the software do it so fast you can not look.
So, I want also a software and i was asking is there something to buy, if not i will also program my one software. I know that there are firms also who do this job. And a lot of the professional (successful) finance firms have here own individuell software.

What do you think Racer? Do you know special software for level 2?
Do other people know special software for level 2?

Thanks

Sorry, I can't help you with the software information. I tend to watch L2 for the shares I am interested in and watch the way the orders are put on the book and see if they are just big orders and not just small trades as they initially seem to be. Sometimes it is obvious but other times it isn't.

gggooo

just so you know - your english is ok - your very first post was clear - or at least my understanding of it is:

1) you need a program that can access a specific data feed - and this could be a data supplier that specifically just supplies data or a broker feed

2) you need a program with an simple interface that allows you to create and input your own parameters to create your own intelligent rule based trading system

i have never heard of such a system for sale - and the reality is that although parameter entry and data acquisition would be simple - it is the rule basis logic that requires real trading knowledge on behalf of the developer - and if someone has that knowledge - they are not going to be selling the system - since there is much more bucks in just using it to trade

and if someone was selling a system - it means it does not work and that is why they are selling it

also, you are not alone in level 2 trading interest -so you will be competing with people who do the programming and set up servers at locations, to shave milliseconds off response times to data acquisition

getting a third party developer to create a trading system for you will not work unless they have already developed one for a trader or trading company and are prepared to sell you that code - but then it would be set up in a way that suited the original traders - and may make no sense to you

basically, you need to learn a programming language -and then start trading to see how it goes and then start looking at how you can shave time off the data acquisistion and opening and closing orders, and acquiring opening and closing order confirmations

all the best

Last edited:
Many thanks to: Strategic Trader and Racer.
That was it, i wanted to know. The game/battle is to shave time.
So, I must do my eurex-trader-licens, get an original direct (member) access to the eurex (milli second tick-feed), do not use the snapshot-feeds of the brokers, learn c++!
I have a lot to do...
One more question: on which exchange can I save developing time and all the other things needed (you know what I mean)? Means where is it easy to get the data direct from the exchange and also get an API to the exchange? Which exchanges are relevant (enough liquidity, etc.)? Any exchange, or future exchange is welcome.

Thanks & a nice sunday.

gggooo,
Depth of market (level 2) varies in its significance from market to market and even more importantly from moment to moment. Briefly this is because there are so many head and tail fakes with participants wanting you to draw the conclusions they wish to do.
Many large institutions have tried to do what you suggest and not succeeded.
I would agree the human mind and its experience and adaptability is the only way you will succeed reading depth. That is what I do and it works for me.
Could software be developed that could do the same? I am not an expert on AI ,NLP etc, but I doubt it very much.
Why? Because depth of market is not usually genuine because liquidity providers seek to cover their motives and intentions, not broadcast them.
Healthy suspicion is a necessity and I suspect that even if you found a way of incorporating that into software, any advantage would be untradeable and momentary.

Last edited: